CG Auxiliary nosing into CAP "territory"

Started by RiverAux, October 27, 2015, 10:30:06 PM

RiverAux

Over the years it hasn't been that unusual for Coast Guard Auxiliary members to get involved in local disaster relief activities though it by no means is a traditional Aux mission.  This was probably a bit more common in the past in areas where the CG wasn't holding a tight leash -- there are fairly strict rules by which Auxies can talk with local and state government agencies and cooperation at that level isn't really as strongly encouraged as it is in CAP. 

However, in the most recent "Navigator Express" (bimonthly online newsletter), there was a fairly large story about Aux involvement during the huge "Valley Fire" in California in September.  Starting with one member who was there in his personal capacity, they eventually received official CG orders to participate at a Red Cross evacuation center.  They don't really describe exactly what the Auxies did or how many were there-- this is about the best description:
QuoteThe Auxiliary team provided physical assistance, boosted morale, gave vital information and imparted a sense of calm reassurance for the displaced population.

Now, if the CG Aux can find a way to be helpful in these events despite not having any specific training or skills that are really all that applicable, just what is CAP's problem? 

Maybe CAP was at this event too, but it shows that there are definitely some gaps that we could fill.  Sometimes all it takes is having a well-organized professional group of people available to give their time even if it isn't a specialized task unique to their organization. 

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Way to go USCGA, for helping out citizens of California when they needed them!

But CAP was there!! CAWG flew for FEMA and took many photos of the areas most affected. Here is an article on Squadron 188 Oakland's page:

http://blog.squadron188.org/2015/10/disaster-relief-mission-california-fires.html?m=1

CAWG flew 49 flights and delivered almost 4,900 photos.

How do I know? I was one of the Mission Pilots that flew this mission and I consider myself privileged to help my fellow Californians during difficult times.

RiverAux

Excellent, I'm glad CAP was there in its "traditional" role. 

Flying Pig

CAP was hugely instrumental in those fires.  Im not even a member and I live on the other side of the country and I knew that.  From your statement it didn't sound like you were aware CAP participated.  Some CGAux members showing up on their own to assist hardly over shadows the contributions of CAP members.  Although your "traditional" shows some level of irritation that CAP members aren't showing up to disasters and then asking for orders after the fact.

CAP is requested for its "traditional" roles.  Its vitally important that people don't start taking it upon themselves to start showing up representing CAP and then asking to be recognized by official orders.   The sentence that describes what the CGAux did while they were there is at most vague at best.  I would rather have CAP members performing traditional rolls that they are trained to do vs just showing up in the name of CAP.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 28, 2015, 12:32:45 PM
CAP is requested for its "traditional" roles.  Its vitally important that people don't start taking it upon themselves to start showing up representing CAP and then asking to be recognized by official orders.

BTDT Katrina-2005-xoxo?  >:D

RiverAux

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

FYI, the PA just came out and there are 77 CAWG members that are receiving the DR+V or clasp.

THRAWN

Quote from: Mission Pilot on November 05, 2015, 09:31:22 PM
FYI, the PA just came out and there are 77 CAWG members that are receiving the DR+V or clasp.

So THERE!, Coasties....

Kidding, of course. Anytime 100 or so citizens VOLUNTEER to serve their communities, it's something to be celebrated, no matter what uniform they are in.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

jayleswo

AND a few of our friends in NVWG as well! :-)
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

Flying Pig

Watch what Im about to do....

So, what is the reason a "V" is used on the DR ribbon?  Is the ribbon itself ever awarded without the "V"? 

Signed,
Sincerely Curious

THRAWN

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 05, 2015, 09:49:38 PM
Watch what Im about to do....

So, what is the reason a "V" is used on the DR ribbon?  Is the ribbon itself ever awarded without the "V"? 

Signed,
Sincerely Curious

to denote participation in a Presidentially Declared DR mission. Without the V, there's a bunch of stuff that you have to do. It's in 39-3...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

RRLE

Flying Pig

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 06, 2015, 12:52:20 AM
But why a "V"?

Because that's what the National Board approved. And back then they didn't exactly explain their actions. ::)

Flying Pig

MacGruff

From CAPR 39-3 Section 21. Paragraph g.

Disaster Relief Ribbon with "V" Device. The Disaster Relief Ribbon with a silver "V" device may be awarded to any CAP member who participates in a disaster relief effort for a Presidential declared disaster. Participation must be verified by the on-scene commander. Participation in any Presidential declared disaster since 1990 qualifies. The Disaster Relief Ribbon with "V" device may be earned even if the member has not met the requirement of paragraph 21(f), above. A maximum of one "V" device will be worn. Individuals participating in more than one Presidentially declared disaster may add a bronze clasp to the ribbon with "V" device beginning on the left side of the device.

21.f. references a whole bunch of other requirements that otherwise would apply...

The Infamous Meerkat

It's for Valor, Dontch'ya know?

Duh....    >:D
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

Flying Pig

But why the V?   The military has used the V for valor for decades. Just an odd choice.   I guess that reasoning is lost in history. 

LSThiker

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 06, 2015, 11:19:25 AM
But why the V?   The military has used the V for valor for decades. Just an odd choice.   I guess that reasoning is lost in history.

Cost. Since the military was already using a V device, molds were already created. Since CAP could not use a bronze V, silver was used. All a company had to do was instead of using a bronze color metal, they could pour a silver color. Done and relatively inexpensive

THRAWN

Quote from: LSThiker on November 06, 2015, 12:50:16 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on November 06, 2015, 11:19:25 AM

Cost. Since the military was already using a V device, molds were already created. Since CAP could not use a bronze V, silver was used. All a company had to do was instead of using a bronze color metal, they could pour a silver color. Done and relatively inexpensive

Why couldnt they use bronze? They did....there are also O and M devices. Why not one of those? Or a numeral? Or nothing?
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023