CAP Emergency Operations Plan

Started by RiverAux, April 28, 2007, 12:44:48 AM

RiverAux

So, on the national minutes page for the May NEC agenda they have a revision of the CAP emergency operations plan.

Is it just me, or is it WAY too complicated?  During a big disaster each Wing will be in charge of any CAP resources in that Wing while it will also have to be interacting with the NOC as well as the C4.  Supposedly the NOC will actually be overseeing the overall mission and supposedly will be responsible for overall external public affairs. 

Now, everyone knows that the NOC is not really set up to be a functioning command center.  They don't have near the people to do that and even if a lot of the logistical work is pawned off on the C4, I don't see them being able to handle it.  Additionally, how is CAP national PA staff going to be able to respond to public affairs inquiries?  They totally failed during Katrina and even assuming they get good info flowing up to them it isn't going to work with regards to local reporters in the affected Wings.  The reporter from the paper down the block isn't going to call Maxwell to get info on what is going on a few hundred yards away. 

Also, I see that they are trying to get Regional staff involved in running the mission by having Regional Operations Officers tasking Wings.  Frankly, I have never seen anything useful come out of a region staff -- having held wing staff jobs and attempted to contact region counterparts before, I never actually got a response.  Maybe some other Wing folks have had different experiences...But, the problem is that they're assigning these duties to 1 person with no planned backup, except I guess the Region Commander. 

Also, we're going to provide generators and HF radios to Region Commanders, Operations and ES Officers that will be tested only ONCE a year.  Boys, you might want to flip those switches a little more often to make sure they work.

What is with the 6-page guide to abbreviations? 

Nick

I think my head just exploded ...

Ideally the C4 should include:
• Continuous access to CAP Web sites
• Ability to operate without the use of the Internet

Huh?  Anyway, after reading the pieces on the C4 and the NOC, I am still not convinced of the need for a C4.  I believe a more ideal picture is to have an expansion cell at the NOC that can be activated to perform the duties listed for the C4... that way, all the operations are happening in one place while keeping a physical separation from the daily NOC activities.  As for personnel to man it, while we have the paid staff manning the NOC, I think it would be an excellent "additional duty" for GAWG and any other area folks to be trained and on standby to man the C4 at the NOC, instead of trying to establish C4 facilities all around the country.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

RiverAux

Personally, I have trouble seeing how the NOC and the C4 won't be running over each other since both will essentially have more or less functioning full mission staffs.  I think the functions of the C4 are necessary but agree that ideally it would be co-located with the actual overall mission headquarters.  On the other hand, it does make sense to have several potential C4 sites available to serve as backup.

MidwaySix

Ummmm...

How is it exactly that a document marked FOUO is posted on a public directory of the web site?

How is this not a breach of OPSEC?

...sigh.

JC004

Quote from: MidwaySix on April 28, 2007, 02:36:22 AM
Ummmm...

How is it exactly that a document marked FOUO is posted on a public directory of the web site?

...sigh.

I sooo called them on this already.  (when NB agenda was announced)  Apparently either: 1. It just looks cool like that, or 2. NHQ isn't paying close attention to OPSEC or this board.

As for C4's, I haven't seen the need for them...if we get too many hands in the pot, we just create confusion and problems - NOT something we need more of on ANY mission.  I would, however, support the issuance of C-4 to ground teams.   >:D

mikeylikey

QuoteMost CAP regions have at least one communications RV, trailer or bus in one of their wings. These
vehicles should be pre-identified to expedite disaster relief mobilization efforts. For simplicity these
assets will be designated as mobile command posts (MCP).

Are we allowed to have buses?

QuoteEach staging area or base/camp should have an HF, VHF AM, VHF FM radio and a long duration
emergency power source.

Perhaps they should also have access to the Wings Satelite Phone.

QuoteNHQ/IT will maintain a secure database of all available CAP member e-mail addresses. These e-mail
addresses will be used to execute a mass mobilization of CAP forces and to keep members informed.

Good luck with that, we can't even keep wing lists updated.  What happens when the internet is down?  How will they contact the membership?

QuoteEach CAP region should designate a CAP van as an aircrew resource kit (ARK) that would include an
emergency generator with ten day's of fuel and oil, extension cords, CAP radios, ICS forms, one CAP laptop,
ten gallons of additional van fuel, portable air pump, 30 gallons of potable water, 60 MREs (or equivalent),
three sets of portable tie downs, tent(s) to sleep at least six, three sleeping bags, two flashlights with extra
batteries, aircraft oil and minor consumables, chain saw, etc., that could deploy to a CAP staging area and could
support three aircrew members for ten days

Each wing should have a designated vehicle.  Oh I got it.....how about those new trailers that each wing is getting!  Does anyone have one yet?  PAWG has 8!

QuoteIndividual CAP wings should consider providing prepaid cash cards to their deploying personnel to assist
them with out of pocket expenses. In many cases, expenses may not be reimbursed until after the
disaster/mission.

I understood pre-paid cash cards and credit cards issued to members for mission expenses (other than aircraft fuel expense) were not allowed under the wing banker program, am I wrong here?

What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 28, 2007, 03:12:13 AM
QuoteEach CAP region should designate a CAP van as an aircrew resource kit (ARK) that would include an
emergency generator with ten day's of fuel and oil, extension cords, CAP radios, ICS forms, one CAP laptop,
ten gallons of additional van fuel, portable air pump, 30 gallons of potable water, 60 MREs (or equivalent),
three sets of portable tie downs, tent(s) to sleep at least six, three sleeping bags, two flashlights with extra
batteries, aircraft oil and minor consumables, chain saw, etc., that could deploy to a CAP staging area and could

Each wing should have a designated vehicle.  Oh I got it.....how about those new trailers that each wing is getting!  Does anyone have one yet?  PAWG has 8!

Wow...nobody light a match near the "ARK"   >:D

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on April 28, 2007, 03:11:20 AM
Quote from: MidwaySix on April 28, 2007, 02:36:22 AM
Ummmm...

...sigh.

I sooo called them on this already.  (when NB agenda was announced)  Apparently either: 1. It just looks cool like that, or 2. NHQ isn't paying close attention to OPSEC or this board.

As for C4's, I haven't seen the need for them...if we get too many hands in the pot, we just create confusion and problems - NOT something we need more of on ANY mission.  I would, however, support the issuance of C-4 to ground teams.   >:D

The thing looks like a fifth grader wrote it.  I caught 3 spelling mistakes right up front.  Not to mention that the massive amounts of bullets in each section are crazy.  They need to go back to the drawing board, and copy how FEMA and the rest of the FED Govt writes operational pamphlets.  

I am not necessarily agreeing with everything I read either.  Good first start I suppose!  They get a silver star for trying.
What's up monkeys?

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on April 28, 2007, 03:14:41 AM

"Umm.....Headquarters we just lost the ARK, please advice the aricrews that when they arrive they won't have any food, water, fuel, tents or supplies".

Colgan were you smoking around the ARK?   
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 28, 2007, 03:17:43 AM
Quote from: JC004 on April 28, 2007, 03:14:41 AM

"Umm.....Headquarters we just lost the ARK, please advice the aricrews that when they arrive they won't have any food, water, fuel, tents or supplies".

Colgan were you smoking around the ARK?   

Wasn't me...I wouldn't blow up the "chicken" with noodles MREs.  I like those.  >:D

sardak

(p. 11)
Quote4. Each CAP region should designate/identify (if available) at least one pre-existing large mobile communications vehicle in their region that can deploy to a disaster area on short notice. Although this vehicle may not function in this capacity, for simplicity it will be designated as a mobile command post (MCP).

But for NIMS compliance it will be designated as a Mobile Communications Unit (fire/law resources), Mobile Communications Center, or Mobile EOC (incident management resources).  Oh wait, NIMS compliance, never mind.

Mike

JC004

Quote from: sardak on April 28, 2007, 04:12:13 AM
(p. 11)
Quote4. Each CAP region should designate/identify (if available) at least one pre-existing large mobile communications vehicle in their region that can deploy to a disaster area on short notice. Although this vehicle may not function in this capacity, for simplicity it will be designated as a mobile command post (MCP).

But for NIMS compliance it will be designated as a Mobile Communications Unit (fire/law resources), Mobile Communications Center, or Mobile EOC (incident management resources).  Oh wait, NIMS compliance, never mind.

Mike

>:D  Don't worry, we'll adopt NIMS when the government designs something else...

PhoenixRisen

While looking through that abnormally large list of acronyms, I noticed one that caught my eye...

QuoteIED - Improvised Explosive Device

I mean, sure it's a good thing to know, being as how it's a 'military term' and all, but is that really necessary?  You don't find too many of those stateside, and unless *gasp* CAP is really preparing their members for overseas deployments, I hardly think that was necessary.   >:D

Dustoff

Jim

PhoenixRisen

PhoenixRisen

Two questions, though.  Firstly, regarding the CAP alert status levels... How do we specifically know what to go by? It doesn't, to my knowledge, state that on a CAP website.  Are we to base ourselves off of the DHS alert level? 

Secondly, it talks about establishing bases/camps.  How would one determine wether something is a 'base' or a 'camp'?  Is it based off of the size/level of personnel? 

DNall

All I'm gonna say is they're fighting the last war, whcih they lost decisively, and have learned no lessons from, not dealing with the reality of the real world around them that controls the situation they want to act on (NIMS), and doing all the wrong things to be effective.

More to what Nick said, I'd perfer to see a deployable C4ISR unit with vehicles & resources to take this C4 (why they gotta mess up a long established mil acronym) cincept right to the source. The NOC from my persoective is better than it was but still mostly in the way & ineffective in getting the mission done effectively.

This whole thing is too many chiefs & not enough indians. The concept they are supposed to be working toward is de-centralized small modular standardized teams that integrate in a multi-agency response. NOT a centralized CAP mission center run by people far away who really don't know what they're doing but sure do want to be in charge, even if it's of a sinking ship.

sardak

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on April 29, 2007, 06:30:16 AM
Secondly, it talks about establishing bases/camps.  How would one determine wether something is a 'base' or a 'camp'?  Is it based off of the size/level of personnel? 

Base and camp (and staging area) are defined in ICS-100.  The differences are based on function.

However, the plan doesn't consistently utilize the terms in the manner defined in ICS-100.

Mike

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: sardak on April 30, 2007, 03:41:28 AM
Quote from: PhoenixCadet on April 29, 2007, 06:30:16 AM

Base and camp (and staging area) are defined in ICS-100.  The differences are based on function.

However, the plan doesn't consistently utilize the terms in the manner defined in ICS-100.

Mike

Thanks!

thefischNX01

Hey, I've looked all over the CAP website (and even checked e-services), is it possible to pm me a link?

Thanks
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

RiverAux

Go to eservices, then look in the national minutes/agenda section for the may meeting. 

thefischNX01

Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

badger bob

Each wing should have a designated vehicle.  Oh I got it.....how about those new trailers that each wing is getting!  Does anyone have one yet?  PAWG has 8!

Let me think
Support a single 172 for 10 days in a Katrina no power situation
10 days x 10 hours x 8 gal/hr = 800 gal av gas x 7lbs= 5600 lbs av gas
10 days x 24 hours x 2 gal/hr= 500 gal generator gas = 3500 lbs generator fuel

Sounds like a commercial drivers license with hazardous cargo endorsements and a 2 1/2 to pull it
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

DNall

Quote from: badger bob on May 02, 2007, 12:03:16 PM

Let me think

Sounds like a commercial drivers license with hazardous cargo endorsements and a 2 1/2 to pull it
yep

JC004

Quote from: badger bob on May 02, 2007, 12:03:16 PM

Each wing should have a designated vehicle.  Oh I got it.....how about those new trailers that each wing is getting!  Does anyone have one yet?  PAWG has 8!

Let me think

Is this even feasible?  Plus the other stuff on that list?  YIKES!  Come on, Maxwell!