Missing GLider in West Virginia

Started by mikeylikey, April 16, 2007, 06:40:59 PM

mikeylikey

Who the F would take out a glider in West Virginia when the wind has been blowing 60 knots since last night!  YOu have got to be f'ing kidding me! 

READ:
MISSING GLIDER

Missing Glider Med Prob

Missing Glider, Franklin, WV

Departed: Williamsport, PA
En route to: Knoxville
Cell contact has been achieved.

Contact Information:
Kate Flick: (814) 445-5163
Arnie Andresen (570) 337-9106

Mission activation at 0930L.

-------------------------------------------

UPDATE.......newswire has it that there were two gliders!
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Gliders are not required to have ELT's.  What was the plan?  Were they intending to make a badge flight?  Was the wind along their intended course, or against a ridge that they wanted to pick up ridge lift from?
Another former CAP officer

RogueLeader

Any news that there were any units from WV CAP?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

bosshawk

Yes, there were CAP ground units.  Check the National website for details.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

JC004

I understand from an SMS this evening (from the ops folks) that the glider was located.  I have no further information at the moment.

outatime

I was on the team that found the glider.  Why did he fly a glider in those wind conditions.  Well it is because he wanted some lift from the wind deflected off the mountains (wave action).  He was going for a world record attempt.  Do I think it was stupid - No.  We all take risk in life. 

Rocco Rossetti
Clarksburg, WV Squardon

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: outatime on May 11, 2007, 10:53:11 PM
I was on the team that found the glider.  Why did he fly a glider in those wind conditions.  Well it is because he wanted some lift from the wind deflected off the mountains (wave action).  He was going for a world record attempt.  Do I think it was stupid - No.  We all take risk in life. 

Rocco Rossetti
Clarksburg, WV Squardon

Rocco:

Wave soaring over West Virginia is possible, but what record was he going for?  Are you sure he wasn't trying ridge soaring?  The record or wave soaring altitude is something like 30,000 feet, which you are not going to achieve over WV.  There is a ridge that extends from WV through KY into TN that runs something like 500 miles, and he may have been going for some distance record.
Another former CAP officer