FLWG Encampment Packing list

Started by Superfreak, April 29, 2014, 06:13:43 PM

Superfreak

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for a few months, and I find it thoroughly entertaining.

I am a cadet planning  on attending encampment for the first time this year at FLWG summer. I saw that the packing list is the same one they used from winter last year. What I'm saying is that there are items on the list that don't fit well with summer encampment. A few are "long underwear" and "light weight jacket" and "field jacket or gortex, with insignia". It doesn't make any sense to me, because all the other cadets I have spoken to refer to it as REALLY hot ALL THE TIME at Camp blanding in the summer, and I believe them, because I live literally ten miles down the road from it. The problem being, a friggin' gortex or field jacket costs upwards of $50, and since I'm going on my own dime, that doesn't sit well with me. I will get these items if they are REQUIRED to attend, but I don't want to if it can be avoided.

In short, I was just asking those of you who have attended summer in the past, Did you bring cold-weather gear? If so, was it the same stuff on the packing list?

Here's a link to the list: http://www.flcadet.com/resources/site1/Winter_Encampment/2012%20Winter%20Encampment/publications/Attachment%202%20-%20Packing%20List.pdf

Also, does the encampment staff allow you to go to church, since the activity goes over a Sunday? Because if they don't I definitely cannot attend.

Thank you,

Superfreak

Garibaldi

Quote from: Superfreak on April 29, 2014, 06:13:43 PM
Hi,

I've been reading this forum for a few months, and I find it thoroughly entertaining.

I am a cadet planning  on attending encampment for the first time this year at FLWG summer. I saw that the packing list is the same one they used from winter last year. What I'm saying is that there are items on the list that don't fit well with summer encampment. A few are "long underwear" and "light weight jacket" and "field jacket or gortex, with insignia". It doesn't make any sense to me, because all the other cadets I have spoken to refer to it as REALLY hot ALL THE TIME at Camp blanding in the summer, and I believe them, because I live literally ten miles down the road from it. The problem being, a friggin' gortex or field jacket costs upwards of $50, and since I'm going on my own dime, that doesn't sit well with me. I will get these items if they are REQUIRED to attend, but I don't want to if it can be avoided.

In short, I was just asking those of you who have attended summer in the past, Did you bring cold-weather gear? If so, was it the same stuff on the packing list?

Here's a link to the list: http://www.flcadet.com/resources/site1/Winter_Encampment/2012%20Winter%20Encampment/publications/Attachment%202%20-%20Packing%20List.pdf

Also, does the encampment staff allow you to go to church, since the activity goes over a Sunday? Because if they don't I definitely cannot attend.

Thank you,

Superfreak

There should be a separate packing list for summer encampments. If not, then don't pack the winter stuff. You won't need it. Common sense should prevail. As far as Sunday services go, in my experience, there usually is a chaplain available to do a non-denominational service at some point during the week. I assume the Sunday you are speaking of will be at the first of the week, since all encampments I have ever been to end on Saturday. If so, then there should be an alloted time for services.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Superfreak

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 29, 2014, 06:38:07 PM
Hi,

Thank you,

Superfreak

There should be a separate packing list for summer encampments. If not, then don't pack the winter stuff. You won't need it. Common sense should prevail. As far as Sunday services go, in my experience, there usually is a chaplain available to do a non-denominational service at some point during the week. I assume the Sunday you are speaking of will be at the first of the week, since all encampments I have ever been to end on Saturday. If so, then there should be an alloted time for services.

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I read the encampment guidebook or whatever, and it says that you only have to attend 80% of the activity to graduate, so I'm set for going to and from church Sunday morning.

Thanks,

superfreak

Garibaldi

Quote from: Superfreak on April 29, 2014, 06:44:19 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on April 29, 2014, 06:38:07 PM
Hi,

Thank you,

Superfreak

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I read the encampment guidebook or whatever, and it says that you only have to attend 80% of the activity to graduate, so I'm set for going to and from church Sunday morning.

Thanks,

superfreak

Do NOT forget to let someone in charge know of your intention, or bad things could happen. Make sure that EVERYONE who needs to know where you are knows where you are with regards to checking in and out.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Quote from: Superfreak on April 29, 2014, 06:44:19 PM...says that you only have to attend 80% of the activity to graduate, so I'm set for going to and

That's not how encampments work - you don't get to pick activities like a menu and punch your Subway card until it says "80%" and then go home.

The "80% rule" is in place to accommodate unforeseen circumstances such as weather issues, resources or activities becoming unavailable, illness, etc.  It is a fall-back, not
a plan, and whether a cadet meets the "80%" is at the discretion of the encampment commander.  This is why rarely are "allowances" made for
not being at an encampment the entire time.

If you have a specific religious obligation, you need to discuss this with the encampment CC >in advance< and insure that your needs can be met.
Do not assume the activity has any services or other accommodation, and don't' assume you can simply leave the encampment to go to church on your whim.

"That Others May Zoom"