Training idea's

Started by Jlevers, December 07, 2013, 10:47:14 AM

Jlevers

I am the new ES officer for my squadron I thought of a few training ideas like CPR and basic first aid class and a class on setup of a LZ for medivac helicopters and some basic communication stuff but looking for any other ideas.

I am also new to CAP but have 10 years in the fire service, 3 years in EMS, 1 year as a SARtech on a search and rescue team  and a stack of 40 + certification in fire and emergency management

arajca

I recommend getting with your command staff and making some ES training goals. See what YOUR members are interested in and what the needs in your area are.

Set up a schedule based on the above information for monthly meetings (my unit has one meeting per month designated for ES training - 1.5 hours) and one Sat per month. When developing your schedule, coordinate with your wing exercise schedule to provide additional opportunities for your members to get training and sign-offs. Be realistic - don't tell folks they'll be getting called out on a regular basis when they get trained (unless this is the reality in your area). Most of the skills and training provided will serve folks well in and out of CAP. The few that may not directly - DF'ing comes to mind - are fun and help teach the relationship between classroom and practical training.

Spaceman3750

Crack open the SQTR of whatever your squadron is interested in doing.

Jlevers

Walkman

One thing I have done as an ESO that has helped planning is to make a spreadsheet with every unit member down the side and then along the top lists all the main ES ratings people have (we don't have a plane or pilots, so for simplicity's sake I left off al the pilot quals). Then I go in and mark off who has what (both full & trainee). That way I can see at a glance where everyone is and plan training accordingly.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Walkman on December 09, 2013, 03:51:50 PM
One thing I have done as an ESO that has helped planning is to make a spreadsheet with every unit member down the side and then along the top lists all the main ES ratings people have (we don't have a plane or pilots, so for simplicity's sake I left off al the pilot quals). Then I go in and mark off who has what (both full & trainee). That way I can see at a glance where everyone is and plan training accordingly.
Oi! That was my idea, and done at 2 different units! Copycat!
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Storm Chaser

Once you identify the needs and set some objectives, I would focus your training on getting your members qualified and practicing those needed skills. Use the SQTR, Task Guide and Reference Text when setting up a "curriculum" for your training. If you have a training plan with defined objectives, you'll be able to better measure your progress and results.