Cadet Medics

Started by TexasCadet, July 14, 2013, 08:54:43 PM

TexasCadet

Every ground team has a team medic, who is the guy with the most medical training, etc. Can cadets be medics? And if so, how?

Jaison009

As valid a question as this is, this topic is going to go to a lock. I can already feel it...

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

TexasCadet

OK. I know CAP has specially trained personnel in the medical field. Can cadets do that?

lordmonar

Anyone in CAP is able to perform first aid (or any medial assistance up to their level of training) to save a life.

Beyond that there is no official CAP medic.

So to basically answer your question...yes cadets can do that.

But CAP is not a medical service.....we neither certify the training nor do we advertise ourselves as a medical provider.

So you would have to outside of CAP to get certification (although you can get said certification at CAP events...i.e. NESA and Hawk Mountain).
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Critical AOA

Quote from: lordmonar on July 14, 2013, 09:16:46 PM
Anyone in CAP is able to perform first aid (or any medial assistance up to their level of training) to save a life.

:clap:

That is all that really needs to be said or even considered by any member.

But I will add to it; first aid is a skill set that all members should possess at some level.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

Darn, missed the fun...also agreeing with lordmonar, again...

"That Others May Zoom"

JayT

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 14, 2013, 09:09:28 PM
OK. I know CAP has specially trained personnel in the medical field. Can cadets do that?

CAP has no organic medical training. If you're interested in that sort of stuff, look towards your local VAC, FD, or EMS service.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: CAPR 60-31-24 f. First Aid and Emergency Medical Care
CAP is not an emergency medical care or paramedic organization and should not advertise itself as such. CAP will not be the primary provider of medical support on missions or training events...

There is no such thing as a CAP medic. 'Nuff said.

Eclipse

So, kidding aside, where does a cadet, or senior member for that matter, get the idea that there are CAP medics and
every GT has one?

HMRS which is not likely to be a significant factor in TXWG aside, that nomenclature does not exist in CAP's parlance,
and nothing beyond basic first aid is ever mentioned in the curriculum or the SQTRs, so where does that come from?

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 15, 2013, 04:02:29 AM
So, kidding aside, where does a cadet, or senior member for that matter, get the idea that there are CAP medics and
every GT has one?

HMRS which is not likely to be a significant factor in TXWG aside, that nomenclature does not exist in CAP's parlance,
and nothing beyond basic first aid is ever mentioned in the curriculum or the SQTRs, so where does that come from?
NESA teaches this concept.  Also if you look at the GT training material about Hasty Search Teams they mention a medic.

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on July 15, 2013, 04:39:00 AM
every GT has one?

NESA teaches this concept.  Also if you look at the GT training material about Hasty Search Teams they mention a medic.

Just means that NESA and the Ground Team training material need to be updated to reflect the current regulations.

Woodsy

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 14, 2013, 08:54:43 PM
Every ground team has a team medic, who is the guy with the most medical training, etc. Can cadets be medics? And if so, how?

You're fired.

Larry Mangum

Quote from: lordmonar on July 15, 2013, 04:39:00 AM
every GT has one?

It may be in the GT training materials( which are being worked on), however NESA does not do Team Medic training. We do offer a class in Wilderness Advance First Aid, but that is it.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

TexasCadet

I guess my info was wrong. At my former squadron, the ES officer said that each team had a member who had taken all the medical courses, or at least a good number of them. If I ever hear him say something again, I'll probably take it with a grain of salt.

TexasCadet

One more question pertaining to medical. Are the QuikClot bandages a good idea for CAP?

jeders

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 15, 2013, 01:51:49 PM
One more question pertaining to medical. Are the QuikClot bandages a good idea for CAP?

If you want to spend $15 on a band-aid, be my guest. However, most of the first-aid injuries you will encounter will be paper cuts and minor scrapes with can be handled by a little antiseptic spray and a 10 cent band aid. Anything requiring a product such as a QuikClot bandage is going to be outside your abilities to begin with.

That said, if you plan on being in a remote area far enough away from air evac, it probably wouldn't be bad to have one or two of those things in a team pack.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 15, 2013, 01:50:30 PM
I guess my info was wrong. At my former squadron, the ES officer said that each team had a member who had taken all the medical courses, or at least a good number of them.

Which "courses" would those be?

Here's the best course, whenever someone tells you something, even if it's something you want to hear, and especially in CAP, either ask them to show you the regs or look them up yourself
as soon as you can.  This isn't just a CAP thing, but a life thing as well.  It's the difference between laughing at Snopes and or being mad.

In this case, the SQTRs are your "bible" and will tell you everything you need to know about what is required for CAP ES ratings.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on July 15, 2013, 02:31:16 PM
In this case, the SQTRs are your "bible" and will tell you everything you need to know about what is required for CAP ES ratings.

Not to split hairs, but I think I would say that the reference texts are the bible, the SQTRs are the commandments or maybe one of the books therein. Just a thought.

Eclipse

Quote from: jeders on July 15, 2013, 02:37:29 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 15, 2013, 02:31:16 PM

Not to split hairs, but I think I would say that the reference texts are the bible, the SQTRs are the commandments or maybe one of the books therein. Just a thought.

Good point.

"That Others May Zoom"

bosshawk

I hesitate to get into this discussion, but you guys have once again reinforced an old saying: "somebody told me" are among the most dangerous words in the English language.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Storm Chaser

I've seen members assigned as "medics" in a GT; usually the member with the most amount of medical/first aid training or experience. This is, obviously, not a CAP requirement.

But in cases in which victims may be encountered, it doesn't hurt having someone with experience leading any emergency first aid effort, until medical professionals arrive at the scene. While ultimate responsibility continues to fall on the GTL, it could be useful to have someone with more training, experience or qualifications (e.g. EMT, paramedic, nurse) assuming this role.

Should we call this person medic? Maybe not; especially if the member is not an EMT, paramedic, etc. Can cadets perform this role? Sure they can, if they have the proper training.

lordmonar

There is nothing wrong with parsing out the duties and responsibilities of the team.

The Radio Operator is not a GT position....but hand one guy the radio....Hey....You're the RTO.
Hand another guy the Team First Aid Kit.....hey....You're the Medic.
Hand the GPS and map to another guy....hey....you're the navigator.

SJFedor

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 15, 2013, 01:51:49 PM

No.

Use the search function for "quikclot", and youll see we had a decent discussion about it. I think it was in a topic about cadets in an active shooter incident.

Bandaids of various sizes are about as far as you should be taking it.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Critical AOA

Quote from: lordmonar on July 15, 2013, 09:27:03 PM
There is nothing wrong with parsing out the duties and responsibilities of the team.

The Radio Operator is not a GT position....but hand one guy the radio....Hey....You're the RTO.

Oh sure, bring some common sense into it.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

lordmonar

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 15, 2013, 11:12:05 PM

Oh sure, bring some common sense into it.
That's why they made me an NCO!  :)

Luis R. Ramos

Lord-

You forgot another position...

Hand another guy the log and you are the Recorder.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Brad

Yea except given the choice the radio operator should have MRO or MRO-T on his 101 card.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

lordmonar

Quote from: Brad on July 17, 2013, 06:42:36 PM

Yea except given the choice the radio operator should have MRO or MRO-T on his 101 card.
NopE.....not necessary, not needed, not desired......just needs his ICUT and his GT radio tasks completed or in training.

Brad

Quote from: lordmonar on July 17, 2013, 07:15:51 PM

NopE.....not necessary, not needed, not desired......just needs his ICUT and his GT radio tasks completed or in training.

Never said it was required, just that given the choice I would go with someone who's MRO qualified, namely because all GTM asks for radio tasks is BCUT/ACUT or ICUT and one or two extra tasks that are covered in BCUT/ACUT and ICUT anyway. MRO adds items such as selecting an ideal communications site (hill, etc.), and how to report a find properly. Sure those things are mentioned in BCUT/ACUT and ICUT, but not specifically looked at in detail, whereas MRO does, but still doesn't overload with theory such as VHF ducting, line of sight formula, blah blah blah (which for that matter none of our current Comms training does).

Trust me, I can speak of this from experience. I was giving a radio overview module at an encampment one year out in the field. While I was doing that the cadets were being rotated from module to module and I was serving as simulated "mission base" for the cadets out in the woods doing missing person search. In the middle of my lecture I get this:

"Mission Base, this is Missing Person Team 1, over."

"Missing Person Team 1, Mission base go ahead, over."

"We've found the body, he's dead, over."

*facepalm-worthy moment of silence*

"Roger have you been through my radio course yet? Over."

"Negative, over."

"Roger, come by as soon as you can, mission base out."

Yea.....
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Garibaldi

Quote from: Brad on July 17, 2013, 07:29:58 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 17, 2013, 07:15:51 PM

Never said it was required, just that given the choice I would go with someone who's MRO qualified, namely because all GTM asks for radio tasks is BCUT/ACUT or ICUT and one or two extra tasks that are covered in BCUT/ACUT and ICUT anyway. MRO adds items such as selecting an ideal communications site (hill, etc.), and how to report a find properly. Sure those things are mentioned in BCUT/ACUT and ICUT, but not specifically looked at in detail, whereas MRO does, but still doesn't overload with theory such as VHF ducting, line of sight formula, blah blah blah (which for that matter none of our current Comms training does).

Trust me, I can speak of this from experience. I was giving a radio overview module at an encampment one year out in the field. While I was doing that the cadets were being rotated from module to module and I was serving as simulated "mission base" for the cadets out in the woods doing missing person search. In the middle of my lecture I get this:

"Mission Base, this is Missing Person Team 1, over."

"Missing Person Team 1, Mission base go ahead, over."

"We've found the body, he's dead, over."

*facepalm-worthy moment of silence*

"Roger have you been through my radio course yet? Over."

"Negative, over."

"Roger, come by as soon as you can, mission base out."

Yea.....

You forgot the dreaded end line. "Roger, Wilco. Over and out."
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

Brad......I don't see what is wrong with your radio comm scenario.    How else are you supposed to say it?

jeders

Quote from: lordmonar on July 17, 2013, 11:06:59 PM
Brad......I don't see what is wrong with your radio comm scenario.    How else are you supposed to say it?

I agree, generally; especially since we're supposed to use plain language. However, if it were a real mission, it would be better to say something like, "Objective found, will contact mission base by telephone to discuss results."

Critical AOA

Target is Tango Uniform.

sardak

Contrary to popular belief, NIMS has never required the use of plain language except in inter-agency incidents with common comms. While plain language is encouraged in all incidents, intra-agency comms don't have to use plain language. Do a search on NIMS plain language.

What's wrong with the example? The find report could have been less blunt, without the shock value, since there could be family present at the base, command post or wherever, and to a (much) lesser concern, the listening media.  There are plenty of ways to say it without the need for secret codes, or god-forbid, CAP encryption. Of course, it takes a couple of moments to think about what to say, instead of immediately coming on the radio and announcing the find. Nothing's going to change in the next couple of minutes.

My favorite "Is Quincy in base?"

Mike

Brad

Quote from: sardak on July 17, 2013, 11:52:13 PM
Contrary to popular belief, NIMS has never required the use of plain language except in inter-agency incidents with common comms. While plain language is encouraged in all incidents, intra-agency comms don't have to use plain language. Do a search on NIMS plain language.

What's wrong with the example? The find report could have been less blunt, without the shock value, since there could be family present at the base, command post or wherever, and to a (much) lesser concern, the listening media.  There are plenty of ways to say it without the need for secret codes, or god-forbid, CAP encryption. Of course, it takes a couple of moments to think about what to say, instead of immediately coming on the radio and announcing the find. Nothing's going to change in the next couple of minutes.

Mike

Based on how you read it you're still potentially violating 100-3 1-7a:

Quotea. Codes and Ciphers. Locally designed codes or adaptation of official codes, however well intentioned, will not deceive a cryptanalyst; only officially authorized codes are to be used. It has become a practice within CAP to assign "code words" to various mission events, in the belief that doing so will conceal these events from an undesired listener. This practice is seldom effective, violates the principles of the Incident Command System and is therefore not authorized.

My suggestion? Like jeders said, a phone call. Can't tell you how many times we've had nosy wrecker drivers at work call us with their scanners going asking why we didn't call them for the wreck in their area (because they had a request for a specific wrecker that wasn't you and you missed that transmission...) or if it's a big event, the news media calls up with THEIR scanners going trying to get us to give out information! Sorry, call the CRO (Community Relations Officer, aka PAO).

So yea, "We found the body, he's dead!" Big no-no, you never know who's listening. For all you know, the father of the lost hiker kid is a ham who's got his radio scanning trying to contact his son out in the woods carrying a radio as well, and he scans past our frequency and hears that?! Yea, not good...
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

lordmonar

Quote from: jeders on July 17, 2013, 11:15:46 PM

I agree, generally; especially since we're supposed to use plain language. However, if it were a real mission, it would be better to say something like, "Objective found, will contact mission base by telephone to discuss results."
If you have phones.......why use the radios in the first place?  :)

lordmonar

Quote from: sardak on July 17, 2013, 11:52:13 PM
Practice like you play.   If Inter-agency comms are to be plain text.....then your Intra-agency comms should be too.......or else you are going to get someone saying "We have a signal 69 at this 20".

That said....NIMS may not require plain language....but CAP regs and doctrine does require it.

QuoteWhat's wrong with the example? The find report could have been less blunt, without the shock value, since there could be family present at the base, command post or wherever, and to a (much) lesser concern, the listening media.  There are plenty of ways to say it without the need for secret codes, or god-forbid, CAP encryption. Of course, it takes a couple of moments to think about what to say, instead of immediately coming on the radio and announcing the find. Nothing's going to change in the next couple of minutes.

Mike
Mike....I don't tailor my comms to ease the sensitivity of who "might" me listening.  I accept as a given....any comms I make on un-encrypted networks not only could be intercepted but ARE intercepted. 

And Yes....personally I would not be that blunt...."Mission Base, Ground Team 1,  Search Objective Located, Request County Sherriff dispatched to location, no need for EMS" would be a little better.....but we are not fooling anyone......if the family is camped out in the comm room (we need to fire the IC< PAO and Chaplain) they know what that means......any eavesdroppers out there can figure it out.

If we want develop some sort of PROWORDS/Protocol/Code words to report casualties.......then they would have to be published and trained to everyone....which means that anyone who cared (media, radio monitors, etc.) can get access to it and again we are not fooling anyone.

sardak

Patrick, we agree...
Quote from: lordmonar on July 18, 2013, 12:22:06 AMThat said....NIMS may not require plain language....but CAP regs and doctrine does require it.
And note that I wasn't advocating using codes
Quote from: sardak on July 17, 2013, 11:52:13 PMThere are plenty of ways to say it without the need for secret codes

Quote from: lordmonar on July 18, 2013, 12:22:06 AMAnd Yes....personally I would not be that blunt...
which was my point
Quote from: sardak on July 17, 2013, 11:52:13 PMThe find report could have been less blunt,
...almost

Quote from: lordmonar on July 18, 2013, 12:22:06 AMbut we are not fooling anyone......if the family is camped out in the comm room (we need to fire the IC< PAO and Chaplain) they know what that means
They don't need to be in the comm room, they can be in the base where the ground team is milling around with their radios on. As for others not in the base who are listening on scanners or radios, they aren't my worry or concern, because they're going to hear the message listening to the other responding agencies.

My point, which I believe we all agree on, is that we need to be discreet without using codes.

Mike

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on July 18, 2013, 12:12:34 AM

Because you can involve more than 2 or 3 people in a conversation at once. The IC can talk to most/all of his assets at one time to pass instructions, and any of those assets can communicate with multiple other assets at one time to coordinate search efforts.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: SarDragon on July 18, 2013, 05:28:38 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 18, 2013, 12:12:34 AM

Because you can involve more than 2 or 3 people in a conversation at once. The IC can talk to most/all of his assets at one time to pass instructions, and any of those assets can communicate with multiple other assets at one time to coordinate search efforts.
And If I have NO phone service.....and yes there are places where there is no cell coverage......what do I do?   "Found the target....you all are going to come out here for more information".

???

Luis R. Ramos

Lord-

No you do not ask to "come here for more info." You follow adapt the procedures you use when you are in a bad radio spot. You travel to a zone with better cell reception.

>:D

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

lordmonar

So....now I have to have a cell phone to be on a ground team?

You all are making excuses for the basic concepts here.

Use plain language when communicating.  Be brief and concise.  All other considerations is just hand wringing and double speak.

"Found him...he's dead" is perfect military communications....short, cannot be misunderstood. 

"But his family may hear", "But the media is listening", "but, but, but, but" are all considerations that I don't care about one bit as a GTL or a RTO.

Luis R. Ramos

Lord,

Joking aside, saying "He's dead" over the radio leads to bad scene management.You will try to secure an accident scene until police arrives, you will get reporters crashing the scene, now you need more personnel. Ya cannot arrest reporters, how do ya keep them out...?

And again, have some heart for the family. Put yourself in those shoes. You do not know your cousin was in an accident. Would you like to have someone show up at your home with a camera asking "Your cousin was found dead after an aircraft crash, how old was he? Where was he going? Was the airplane safe?"

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

lordmonar

Quote from: flyer333555 on July 18, 2013, 10:29:19 PM
Lord,

Joking aside, saying "He's dead" over the radio leads to bad scene management.You will try to secure an accident scene until police arrives, you will get reporters crashing the scene, now you need more personnel. Ya cannot arrest reporters, how do ya keep them out...?

And again, have some heart for the family. Put yourself in those shoes. You do not know your cousin was in an accident. Would you like to have someone show up at your home with a camera asking "Your cousin was found dead after an aircraft crash, how old was he? Where was he going? Was the airplane safe?"

Flyer
Flyer.....all joking aside.  Explain to me how I can send said message in plain text in any way that does use a "code" that is not semantically the same as "he's dead".

I assume the media is listing....I'm not worried about them being asses....I got other things to worry about.

Luis R. Ramos

1.Do not use the radio to say "He is dead."
2. Use a cell phone to say "He is dead."
3. If not a good area, move to a different area or use a landline. That is why ground teams are supposed to carry about $5 in change. Tell me, you do carry pocket change, right?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

lordmonar

Quote from: flyer333555 on July 19, 2013, 12:18:49 AM
1.Do not use the radio to say "He is dead."
2. Use a cell phone to say "He is dead."
3. If not a good area, move to a different area or use a landline. That is why ground teams are supposed to carry about $5 in change. Tell me, you do carry pocket change, right?

Flyer
Not solving the problem.
And not regulatory........not necessary.
Sorry got to sign off on this argument....because I'm getting a little psycho about it.

Brad

Quote from: lordmonar on July 18, 2013, 10:55:53 PM
Lord,

Flyer
Flyer.....all joking aside.  Explain to me how I can send said message in plain text in any way that does use a "code" that is not semantically the same as "he's dead".

I assume the media is listing....I'm not worried about them being asses....I got other things to worry about.

True, but in a multi-agency scenario the IC and PAO will want to know who let slip that they're working a fatal before the next of kin was notified first, and I guarantee you from personal experience that they have procedures in place that "fatal", "fatality", etc. are never to be broadcast on air, in order to prevent the media swarm that flyer mentioned. So then it comes back on CAP's butt for not playing ball the right way with the other agencies because the GTL didn't want to make a phone call or say something like, "You may want to head this way".
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Eclipse

Quote from: Brad on July 19, 2013, 02:26:34 AMTrue, but in a multi-agency scenario the IC and PAO will want to know who let slip that they're working a fatal before the next of kin was notified first, and I guarantee you from personal experience that they have procedures in place that "fatal", "fatality", etc. are never to be broadcast on air, in order to prevent the media swarm that flyer mentioned. So then it comes back on CAP's butt for not playing ball the right way with the other agencies because the GTL didn't want to make a phone call or say something like, "You may want to head this way".

During an Eval, one of the scenarios involved finding a fatality.  Having heard and read about other wings who flubbed evals with
things like the "family standing in the ICP screaming at the IC", etc., teams were briefed that information regarding the condition of
anyone they found was not to be broadcast over an open channel.

The GTL who came upon the scene called the GBD directly, made the notification and was told to remove the cadets from the area,
secure the scene and stand by.  The GBD conferred with his assistant and then calmly went directly to the IC, cleared the room
of non-essential personnel, and discretely informed the IC directly of what the situation was.

You could make the argument that the GBD should have passed the information through the OSC, but he was in the room and
informed before the GBD went to the IC.  That's chain of command minutia and people working with true team spirit don't get
bogged down in ego when things are getting "real".  The point was that Admin / FIN, Logistics, Flighline and the general public
did not need to be informed of this situation, nor would hearing it via someone yelling "we got a soft taco with cheese" or some other
nonsense be a good idea.  Those that needed to know, were informed.

From there, the IC issued downstream directives to the OSC and planning, plus CISM.   Action was taken and plans / sorties changed as necessary,
again in a discrete manner without a lot of drama. 

If its Armageddon and the only means of communications is open-frequency radio, well, then discretion is the better part of valor, but the
mission must proceed, otherwise, it should be handled over the phone.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Brad on July 19, 2013, 02:26:34 AM
Lord,

Flyer

True, but in a multi-agency scenario the IC and PAO will want to know who let slip that they're working a fatal before the next of kin was notified first, and I guarantee you from personal experience that they have procedures in place that "fatal", "fatality", etc. are never to be broadcast on air, in order to prevent the media swarm that flyer mentioned. So then it comes back on CAP's butt for not playing ball the right way with the other agencies because the GTL didn't want to make a phone call or say something like, "You may want to head this way".
In that case the IC through the AOBD and GBD will brief the crews how to make the report.

Once again.....CAP policy is open communications.   If we are going to come up with other procedures.......so we can play nice.....then they need to get written up and sent out to the field so they can be standardized.

That is all that I am saying......I agree....it is a bad idea to for many reasons to say "he's dead" over the air.....but what is the official CAP procedure for report the status of the search target?

Not how you would do it, not how you saw it done, but what is the official written policy.

Jaison009

As a paramedic and searcher outside of CAP we have not always used plain text. What has worked with plain text is a code word. Recently in my position with the Red Cross I was supporting a search and recovery for a County Sheriff, AR Game and Fish Officer, and four civilian fatalities. We had hundreds of searchers on site from all over the state and disciplines. You better believe that they did not announce they had located either over the radio they made recoveries without using a code word and when the Sheriff and Game and Fish Officer were recovered, it was announced VERY VERY discretely. If CAP had been there, made a recovery, and announced it out loud, they would have pissed off over half of Arkansas's emergency services community and not been welcome by a single County Sheriff for a VERY long time.

Quote from: lordmonar on July 19, 2013, 03:52:44 AM
Quote from: Brad on July 19, 2013, 02:26:34 AM
Lord,

Flyer

In that case the IC through the AOBD and GBD will brief the crews how to make the report.

Once again.....CAP policy is open communications.   If we are going to come up with other procedures.......so we can play nice.....then they need to get written up and sent out to the field so they can be standardized.

That is all that I am saying......I agree....it is a bad idea to for many reasons to say "he's dead" over the air.....but what is the official CAP procedure for report the status of the search target?

Not how you would do it, not how you saw it done, but what is the official written policy.

Brad

Here's what the task guide says for task L-0009, "Report a clue or Find":

Quote1. When a clue is found, mission base needs to know immediately in order to adjust the search accordingly.
You should report the clue quickly and accurately, and suggest to mission base if any personnel (such as the
police) should be called out to look at the clue. Also remember that eavesdroppers might be listening in. Be
careful how you phrase things to avoid causing undue excitement or panic.

<snip>

TX: “(Tell the mission radio operator what, if anything)”

(For resources needed:
1: No resources needed. Rescue can be accomplished with forces on hand.
2: Advanced Life Support required.
3: Fire Suppression Personnel required.
4: Medical Examiner or Coroner required
5: Law Enforcement Personnel required.
6: Hazardous Materials Team required.
7: Additional Ground Teams required, OVER

RX: "Roger, I'll pass that on immediately, OVER"

TX: “Standing by for further instructions.”

g. Avoid conjecture. Don’t make guesses over the radio as to what the clue means. If mission base
wants your analysis, they will request it.

h. Avoid inflammatory or unclear descriptions that could unduly excite eavesdroppers. For example do
not say, “We’ve found a pile of bloody clothing.” Instead, say, “Found one pair of jeans, size 12 and one white T-shirt. Both are dirty and have possible bloodstains.”

Yes I know that there's the bit in there about the Coroner, but a smart GBD would advise his teams that if they find a possible fatal, do not request the Coroner over the air, simply call for EMS, then EMS can request the Coroner....usually A LOT faster...over their radios to their dispatch as an intra-agency coded transmission, or they'll simply call the Coroner.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Critical AOA

yeah, certain things just can't be fixed.

SARDOC

If you don't want to say that someone is dead over the radio, just call in to notify the IC that you need resources to initiate a recovery operation.  It will convey the meaning without being harsh or blunt.

SARDOC

Quote from: Jaison009 on July 19, 2013, 04:45:11 AM
As a paramedic and searcher outside of CAP we have not always used plain text. What has worked with plain text is a code word. Recently in my position with the Red Cross I was supporting a search and recovery for a County Sheriff, AR Game and Fish Officer, and four civilian fatalities. We had hundreds of searchers on site from all over the state and disciplines. You better believe that they did not announce they had located either over the radio they made recoveries without using a code word and when the Sheriff and Game and Fish Officer were recovered, it was announced VERY VERY discretely. If CAP had been there, made a recovery, and announced it out loud, they would have pissed off over half of Arkansas's emergency services community and not been welcome by a single County Sheriff for a VERY long time.

That's the issue with radio communications.  They are made to try to make the flow useful information timely within your organization.  Keep in mind that radio communications are not intended for routine public disclosure. That being said this information is subject to be monitoring so provide information professionally.  It's the receiver of the information who is responsible for their own conduct or behavior when they obtain that information.  The media is included, they run the risk of also having an adversarial relationship with the agencies in their locality if they blurt out information without having it officially confirmed much to the risk of their own career.  That doesn't mean that profession doesn't have issues like we have within our organization.  People, reporters included, have to be accountable for their own actions.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on July 19, 2013, 02:45:52 AM
Quote from: Brad on July 19, 2013, 02:26:34 AMTrue, but in a multi-agency scenario the IC and PAO will want to know who let slip that they're working a fatal before the next of kin was notified first, and I guarantee you from personal experience that they have procedures in place that "fatal", "fatality", etc. are never to be broadcast on air, in order to prevent the media swarm that flyer mentioned. So then it comes back on CAP's butt for not playing ball the right way with the other agencies because the GTL didn't want to make a phone call or say something like, "You may want to head this way".

During an Eval, one of the scenarios involved finding a fatality.  Having heard and read about other wings who flubbed evals with
things like the "family standing in the ICP screaming at the IC", etc., teams were briefed that information regarding the condition of
anyone they found was not to be broadcast over an open channel.

The GTL who came upon the scene called the GBD directly, made the notification and was told to remove the cadets from the area,
secure the scene and stand by.  The GBD conferred with his assistant and then calmly went directly to the IC, cleared the room
of non-essential personnel, and discretely informed the IC directly of what the situation was.

You could make the argument that the GBD should have passed the information through the OSC, but he was in the room and
informed before the GBD went to the IC.  That's chain of command minutia and people working with true team spirit don't get
bogged down in ego when things are getting "real".  The point was that Admin / FIN, Logistics, Flighline and the general public
did not need to be informed of this situation, nor would hearing it via someone yelling "we got a soft taco with cheese" or some other
nonsense be a good idea.  Those that needed to know, were informed.

From there, the IC issued downstream directives to the OSC and planning, plus CISM.   Action was taken and plans / sorties changed as necessary,
again in a discrete manner without a lot of drama. 

If its Armageddon and the only means of communications is open-frequency radio, well, then discretion is the better part of valor, but the
mission must proceed, otherwise, it should be handled over the phone.

If I remember correctly, on my "fatality" I think I sent it over the radio. Did we get dinked for that on that eval?

SJFedor

Call me crazy, but having worked a rather large amount of fatal incidents, I've never once had the media over-running me, trying to barge their way into the scene, or anything else. Heck, half the time when we roll on violent crimes (shooting/stabbings), at least one news station is either pulling up as we do, or they're already set up and rolling. For the most part, I think they know to stay back a bit, while still getting the footage they want. Had a quadruple shooting a month or two ago, I was 3rd unit in, and they were already set up and rolling. There was PD there, but they were (obviously) busy with other things, but the camera crews were set up out of our way, and didn't do a thing to attempt to get into our way. And this is coming from my experience working EMS in two large metropolitan areas. I didn't even make the evening news! (I'm assuming my patient was way too bloody).

As far as codewords, saying things tactfully, etc, yeah there's a time and place for it, but it's not secret squirrel stuff. When I pull up on a crap-kicking scene, and my district chief wants a situation update, he gets the info he wants, and I don't waste time dialing his phone number to give it. People are ALWAYS listening. Only certain channels in our radio network are encrypted (hospital channels); none of our operations or tactical channels are. I've had several scenes I've pulled up on, and as part of my BIR (brief incident report), Ive relayed that I have xx amount of critical patients, xx amount of obvious deaths/fatalities. Does the news media hear it? Absolutely. Do I care? Not really, I have a job to do, and part of that is keeping my command apprised of the situation, as additional resources may either be needed to my scene, or can be cancelled and reallocated.

Maybe I've lost my objectivity in not being a part of this organization anymore, but if we, in the professional emergency services world, can manage to say what we need to say on an open net, where everyone is REALLY listening, then why is everyone so worried about saying something on the net here? I've asked the news media in this area before, there's only one of the stations that even has a small clue as to what CAP is, let alone to be monitoring the frequencies that might crackle to life once a month. Say what you have to say, move on. If the family/media is THAT intently listening in on everything going on, they'll find out before you tell them formally 99% of the time anyway.

That, and having the whole "every message through communications" part of mission base is, for lack of a better word, freaking frustrating. If I had to pass every little piece of traffic through our ECC to my district chief, nothing would ever get done. If the GT finds/needs/wants something, they should talk to their GBD, NOT someone sitting in a shack who'll write it down and (eventually) pass it along, same with aircrews and their AOBD. I'm not sure if it's something the comm people came up with to feel important or to "get kept in the loop", but there's really NO need for it.  Each level should be talking DIRECTLY to their immediate supervisor, instead of adding additional links in the chain.

And that is the end of my 4am rant.  >:D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

JayT

Quote from: SJFedor on July 29, 2013, 08:54:50 AM
Call me crazy, but having worked a rather large amount of fatal incidents, I've never once had the media over-running me, trying to barge their way into the scene, or anything else. Heck, half the time when we roll on violent crimes (shooting/stabbings), at least one news station is either pulling up as we do, or they're already set up and rolling. For the most part, I think they know to stay back a bit, while still getting the footage they want. Had a quadruple shooting a month or two ago, I was 3rd unit in, and they were already set up and rolling. There was PD there, but they were (obviously) busy with other things, but the camera crews were set up out of our way, and didn't do a thing to attempt to get into our way. And this is coming from my experience working EMS in two large metropolitan areas. I didn't even make the evening news! (I'm assuming my patient was way too bloody).

Bonus points if PD or FD suppression side has ever called you for a rush on an obviously dead patient (Which, depending on which uniform I have on and who's radio's on I'm on, is either a 10-27, a 10-83D, a Signal 49, or a Signal 50.)
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SJFedor

Quote from: JayT on July 31, 2013, 01:55:51 AM
Quote from: SJFedor on July 29, 2013, 08:54:50 AM

Bonus points if PD or FD suppression side has ever called you for a rush on an obviously dead patient (Which, depending on which uniform I have on and who's radio's on I'm on, is either a 10-27, a 10-83D, a Signal 49, or a Signal 50.)

Once or twice in the previous city I worked for, none now. I currently work for a FD, and we have many FF/Paramedics that used to be on the EMS side before they crossed over, w/ ALS equipped engines that will actually cancel us if it's non-working and call it themselves. If PD calls for one (rare, if its obvious they just call the ME directly), it's usually just an EMS District Chief (paramedic) who goes out and does it. Keeps the transport units in service for actual patients.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

TexasCadet

The subject on the topic I have started has changed from Cadets Medics to radio stuff. If you want to talk about radios and their usage, you should start a new thread.

jeders

Quote from: TexasCadet on August 01, 2013, 10:21:40 PM
The subject on the topic I have started has changed ...

Welcome to the internet.

SarDragon

The subject on the topic I have started has changed from Cadets Medics to radio stuff. If you want to talk about radios and their usage, you should start a new thread.

I think we've actually covered the cadet medic thing pretty well.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on August 02, 2013, 12:19:02 AM

Sorry if we didn't provide the answer you wanted...

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on August 02, 2013, 12:29:02 AM

So do they get the new digital tiger stripes?

Sorry, if it's going to degenerate anywhere, it should degenerate into a uniform thread.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SJFedor

It's called a conversation, cadet. It progresses. It ebbs and flows with those that contribute to it. Sorry you're getting butthurt over it.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

NM SAR

In NM, when working with the NM SAR community (IE, on 99.999999% of missions) the IC will typically issue a codeword for a deceased subject before teams are deployed. Something to the tune of "We've found a purple handkerchief." If I'm being deployed and I'm not given a death code, I'll ask for one. This prevents the next of kin being notified by overhearing the news on the radio, or via rude questions from the media.

Archer

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 02, 2013, 12:46:02 AM
Quote from: PHall on August 02, 2013, 12:29:02 AM

So do they get the new digital tiger stripes?

Sorry, if it's going to degenerate anywhere, it should degenerate into a uniform thread.

It eventually would have anyway.
"We don't have to worry about code-words because we shouldn't be using radios because they're not authorized to be worn on the uniform anyways."
"*rabble rabble rabble*"
"*rabble rabble rabble*"
"*rabble rabble rabble*"
"*rabble rabble rabble*"

Repeat until charged with equine abuse and improper disposal of animal remains.

/thread

Luis R. Ramos

SJ, it may be a "conversation," but when in other threads the topic changes from the original topic, the OP complains and no one chastises him / her. It may also be called "hijacking a thread." Without looking at the Terms of Use for this service, I would say it is frowned upon by the Administrators.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Critical AOA

Mission base, this is Team Deep Six. The equine has expired.  Please send clubs.  Over.

BHartman007

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 03, 2013, 01:22:49 AM
Mission base, this is Team Deep Six. The equine has expired.  Please send clubs.  Over.

You mean the equine is a purple handkerchief.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

PHall

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 03, 2013, 01:22:49 AM
Mission base, this is Team Deep Six. The equine has expired.  Please send clubs steak sauce.  Over.

SarDragon

Tick-tock. Tick-tock. Tick-tock.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret