Missing Boy Scout

Started by SAR-EMT1, March 19, 2007, 01:05:56 AM

RiverAux

National probably would have had very little at all to do with this mission.  The local CAP PAO would not have sent news releases out to national media about this story.  The proper way to get coverage for this sort of story is to work with the local media.  The nationals are going to be using their coverage and would probably not send anyone of their own. 

However, even if the CAP PAO was all over this like a cheap suit, the fact of the matter is that CAP played a fairly small role in the search, as is the case for almost all non-airplane search SAR missions.  The potential for getting more than a mention of CAP in this story was very low from the start. 

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on March 21, 2007, 10:15:39 PMHowever, even if the CAP PAO was all over this like a cheap suit, the fact of the matter is that CAP played a fairly small role in the search, as is the case for almost all non-airplane search SAR missions.  The potential for getting more than a mention of CAP in this story was very low from the start. 

Exactly my point...and any attemp on CAP's part to get better exposure of our little part of the operation may make us look like a bunch of posers trying to grab someone else's glory.

Stick to the facts and let the story run.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SAR-EMT1

This may be a very dumb question, but I know that the White House, Pentagon, various Mega Corporations have daily press briefs by knowledgable PAOs . Does CAP NHQ?
Not saying the story does or doesn't need more exposure but just wondering if our CAPNEWs tidbits end up going out on the AP wire or not.
Or ...

What is Nationals method approach to media?

- I recall a CAP/CC  CAP-USAF/CC press brief during Katrina/Rita
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

carnold1836

QuoteLets, get a little pushy for a change.

This is the exact wrong direction to be going on an issue of this nature. In our organization the cliche "Any press is good press." doesn't fly. (no pun intended) We have way to many eyes on us already just waiting for us to do something stupid and point out that we are a group of posers and fakes. We must be every aware of our representation in the public media.

At this very moment there is a private SaR group in my area that is just dying for us to screw up something so they can get it into the press and say "See they aren't even capable of doing a simple task."

We don't need to be pushing anybody anywhere. What we need to be doing is concerning ourselves with getting positive training that is in accordance with other agencies so we can be part of the "Whole Force" initiative. Whether that is with USAF directing us alone or we are tasked by USAF to assist other agencies, we need to be trained and ready to go with out fanfare or doubt that we can do the job.

Then when the job is done provide the proper outlets with the facts of that mission and no "horn blowing". That is what gets us involved. That is what gets us noticed. That is what helps with recruiting and retention. Not pushing our history around like a bunch of over grown Boy Scouts who have earned the Lifesaving or Emergency Preparedness merit badge. (Of which I have both being an Eagle Scout, notice where I am now.)
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

A.Member

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 22, 2007, 01:36:17 PM
- I recall a CAP/CC  CAP-USAF/CC press brief during Katrina/Rita
So do I...and I was embarrassed as hell.  It was very good right up to the point where our Nat/CC started to talk.  He should not be allowed in front of cameras.  That's why many organizations have spokespeople.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Earhart1971

CAP is already Secret, the strategy (to not be pushy) is working.

We just keep doing what we are doing, we will remain secret.

lordmonar

Quote from: Earhart1971 on March 23, 2007, 02:09:49 PM
CAP is already Secret, the strategy (to not be pushy) is working.

We just keep doing what we are doing, we will remain secret.

So...when was the last time you had a sit down with your local SAR coordinator (Sherrif's office?) and gave them a CAP Capability Breif?

That is how you get missions.

Getting air time on the national news does not do anything for you to develop local relationships.

If you squadron's and wing capabilities are a secret it is because your squadron and wing are not talking to the right people.

Earhart1971

Read my posts, I am running a ex CAP Cadet for Sheriff, NEXT Question.

And by the way, that is the usual reply...... what are we doing at the local level?

The local level is the only level which functions in CAP, sad to say.

lordmonar

Quote from: Earhart1971 on March 23, 2007, 04:50:34 PM
Read my posts, I am running a ex CAP Cadet for Sheriff, NEXT Question.

And by the way, that is the usual reply...... what are we doing at the local level?

The local level is the only level which functions in CAP, sad to say.

So where's the problem?

Earhart1971

CAP has no National Visibility, that's the problem.

A.Member

Dude...I can't believe you're still going on this.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

IronRangerMN

National exposure i would not like. Many Cadets and Seniors both are not squared away on there GT stuff. There GT level makes very little difference. Ususally there greener than any place they've trained in.

You cannot over all say what the SAR capabilities of CAP is. It is squadron based only. My squadron is one of the most squared away in the state. I have never been impressed with any other squadron I have been to. We are the up-north boys, and we train like it. We constantly do GT training. We do so little aviation stuff because we have chosen to meet on a different day as the main Senior members. Our seniors that control us are mostly ex-military and a police officer as a commander.

Get with the local SAR people. SAR dog units, sherrif, other vollunteer deals, police, etc. Do that and get training hard.
Be safe

connelly

Yeah NC responded by transporting 3 K9 units and supplied one ground team. And one of the K9 units transported by CAP was the one to make the find.
C/CMSGT Connelly
Topsail Composite Squadron
http://topsailcomposite.com