CISM for cadets?

Started by CadetDay, June 03, 2013, 10:24:29 PM

CadetDay

I am completely new to CAP talk, so if my question is in the wrong place, please forgive me this time. I am a GTM 1 and I was interested in CISM (Critical incident stress managment). My problem is that I have no clue how to join. The website for CAP CISM is very, very unhelpful. I know there is training required, and I have probed most of eServices for anything related, but I still have no clue how to join. If anyone knows how to join a CISM team, or if cadets are even able to join, then I would be very interested in the information. Thank you.
Josiah P. Day, C/CMSgt, CAP

arajca

Cadets are not permitted to join CISM teams. Ref CAPF 60-5, Para 4.a.

Eclipse

Cadets are not involved in CISM.  CAPR 60-5 requires members of CIST teams be at least 21.

"That Others May Zoom"

John F Bryan

As has been stated above CAP CISM teams require a member to be 21. However CISM is not limited to CAP. If you are interested I would encourge you to research the Mitchell Model and CISM further. Someday you will be 21 and would be able to be a peer on a CAP CISM team. Also I am not sure what you do or will do outside of CAP but there are a lot of active CISM programs around the country. CAP is just one orgnization that uses CISM. Other national level organizations include the Salvation Army and the US Coast Guard. Many state and local level CISM teams are located all over the country, in fact the world.

To learn more about CISM (not just CAP's CISM) I would check out the International Critical Incident Stress Foundation  http://icisf.org/

Now that said...there will be a learning lab at this summers National Conference in Denver called "Cadets' Role in CISM"

DO12        Cadets' Role in CISM

Presenter:      Lt Col Sam Bernard, CISM Officer

Cadets are a primary source of leaders in CAP. As such, we need to keep our current and future leaders psychologically healthy and ready -- for themselves and others. Critical Incident Stress Management is designed to provide peer support and referrals as needed. Peers know best when something is wrong and can relate on a deeper level. From suicide to bullying, peers can help save lives through the application of CISM protocols. Learn how to be an even better friend through CISM.

http://www.capmembers.com/events/cap_annual_conference/learning-labs/

Flying Pig

I dont know how old you are, but as a cadet, perhaps talking to a chaplain involved in CISM would be a place to start.   I say that because most of the CISM people i know in CAP are chaplains.  Then looking into psych or counseling courses at a college would be a benefit while you are a cadet.  Im sure that you understand why minors, and even those 18 -20 would be excluded. CISM would involve a pretty high level of emotional maturity. I know counselors themselves who have had to seek counseling after debriefing incidents.  Definitely not something a minor needs to be involved in directly. On the sidelines learning, assisting and maybe helping to a small extent, but not knee deep in the muck.