Getting more national media coverage for CAP ES missions

Started by desert rat, March 02, 2007, 12:37:14 AM

desert rat

I was thinking, with all publicity around FEMA and Homeland security it would be nice if the media covered what CAP has done.   What would be cool is if all the cap members wrote an email to Glen Beck or Anderson Cooper at CNN.Com and told them about what CAP has done and see if they could spotlight CAP on one of their news stories.  If they reported on how much lower cost CAP flights are and what all our ground teams and mission leadership offers, it may get CAP more missions and more public awareness.

RiverAux

Just last month there was a major article in the Washington Post about CAPs HLS missions that got picked up by newspapers across the country....

However, I've never understood why no-one has managed to get the Military Channel (formerly Wings) to do a series on CAP.  Granted, we've got a whole lot of other military stuff for them to work on right now so they're not hurting for potential subjects. 

DNall

We've been on CNN before & other national coverage. The reason CAP doesn't get missions is NOT because people don't know we're here, it's cause we aren't qual'd or equiped for the work. The operating cost has never been a prime concern for anyone, and all of that is federal charity in an area they don't strictly have to do.

I'm all for good PR, & public awareness. If you want missions though the problem is CAP, and the solution starts with hard work & hard decisions.

SKYKING607

Years ago, some PAOs in CAWG were asking for a coordinated effort in the larger electronic media markets (e.g., Los Angeles, San Diego, Sacramento, and San Francisco).  Instead of having unit PAOs approach the TV/Radio stations, a coordinated Wing effort would be undertaken.  No one showed an interest and the idea was file thirteen'd.

As a former PAO, a local unit can have success with a small newspaper, or low powered radio station.  The larger markets should be approached by a Wing PAO team or from the National Level.

As one PSA coordinator said, "Your organization should organize before approaching our organization!"  We'd probably get better results that way.
CAWG Career Captain

RiverAux

Great local tv story on CAP from Washington DC.  Not exactly national, but can't think of a potentially more influential local news outlet than one from there:
http://video.nbc4.com/player/?id=78887

IronRangerMN

"I'm all for good PR, & public awareness. If you want missions though the problem is CAP, and the solution starts with hard work & hard decisions."
>quoted by DNall<

Yes! exactly
media awareness takes big things to happen, good or bad. I'd prefer good. To get coverage, you must do something that is important and people want to here about. CAP has many rules. Heck, CAP is a huge ball of red tape in the shape of an airplane. And we have people who are the roles of tape. As they move among us, they leave more red tape in there wake. You need people who act as scissors who cut as they go. We do not need to report every bump on the trail or potential sliver on a railing as a safety hazard. But its hard to do something great when everyone is restricted. We can't even help recover bodies now, or even see them I think.
Be safe

davedove

Maybe we could try to get the Gunny to do a spot on the WWII sub chasers and then lead into current operations.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

IronRangerMN

Maybe, but CAP is not actually military, which I really do regret to say.
Be safe

SAR-EMT1

Might be able to convince him to do it. BUT We would need to get the CG Aux involved to make it happen and turn the episode into a showcase of the two Auxiliaries. I can see that happening ... maybe.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student