Typical CAP command posts

Started by RiverAux, December 23, 2012, 07:51:29 PM

When a mission staff is activated, what type of site is used MOST for the CAP command post?

Most CAP missions are run from CAP buildings (either owned, rented, or borrowed)
28 (57.1%)
Most CAP mission are run from facilities operated by others that CAP temporarily uses for missions
21 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 49

manfredvonrichthofen

I have gotten to see two vastly different worlds in CAP.

Indiana handles their ICP in a unique way, having two mobile command posts, one with my unit in Monroe, and one somewhere else. The issue with this is if only two people in the wing are unable to participate, there is no readily available CP. Then you have to figure out what to do. To me it's the wrong answer, but it is a Mich better workup than what I have seen in the distant past of, well let's get there and see what we got. Then we would either get very lucky and a fire house would allow us to use a bay, or everything was outside and nothing was organized. The WAY wrong answer. Now with the MICP idea we have the ability to have command inside able to keep track of everything. But there is no room for briefing a team, sothat must still be done outside, no problem except when it comes to paperwork. I'm sure most wings have MICPs. So this is not a new concept.

Arkansas handles it much differently from what I have seen, yes there are micps, but they are mostly used for small scale items such as Airshows. But use wing hq for mission base. A good setup. They have everything they need and can deploy units all over the state. They are extremely organized and collected. Not to mention how much they are open to new ideas and input from others.

Garp

Actually, in Indiana there are two MICPs, but both have key boxes that allow anyone with tow capacity to access the vehicle after coordination with the ES director or Wing Transportation.  Neither of these really operates as an ICP, both really provide communications support so that Indiana can operate out of facilities that may not have CAP dedicated communications.

Indiana has pre-coordinated mission arrangements with Terre Haute ANGB, Columbus Airport, NESA, the State EOC, Evansville EOC, and other locations.  All of these facilities could, and have been called, to provide either training or real world mission set up on short notice.  Where Indiana could use more development of these types of partnerships is in the northern portion of the Wing, but the Wing's interaction with Grissom ARB last year has begun to help Indiana deal with that issue.

In particular, after the Henryville Tornados, INWG's ICP was at NESA and coordinated with the State EOC, had radio communication directly with the GBD/ground teams through the CAP repeater network, was up on the HF net, and coordinated multiple air sorties out of a variety of squadrons.

Indiana is not that big.  Pre-identifying mission operating locations, not requiring everyone to sign in to one location (which is an ANCIENT model) but launch crews from home, and making comm resources mobile (such as the HF vans) makes the Wing more "light and lean".

Sergeant Langley

Depends, My home squadron has a classroom that can be used for mission base. It is loaded with computer equipment and televisions. We also have a communications room. If you meet in a church it will probably be somewhere else.
Austin Langley C/MSGT, CAP

bflynn

NC Wing ran a sarex last weekend with CAP HQ as the site.  Remotely based aircraft did missions from their base to wing HQ in the central part of the state, then based out of HQ for the rest of the day.  Remotely based aircraft returned home at the end of the day and did additional missions on their way home.