Main Menu

Region Staff College 2007

Started by dogden, January 30, 2007, 03:53:41 PM

dogden

I have started the process of going to the Southwest Region Staff College this year. Is anyone else going to the SWR RSC or any of the other RSC's? I have heard good things from people that have attended in the past, so for those of you that have been there done that please feel free to share your experiences.

For those that have attended the SWR staff college at Kirkland AFB, please share any tricks, lessons, etc. that might help those of us at Kirkland for the first time.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

airdad

I can't help you with SWRSC, but I attended NERSC in '97 and liked it so much that I've been back as staff every year since '99.  It is a fantastic opportunity to meet foks that have the same problems as you do-you'll find out that your problems aren't unique and if you're lucky, you'll make a new bunch of lifelong friends
Len Schindler, Lt Col, CAP
Northeast Region/IGT

fyrfitrmedic

When I had time to go to NERSC years ago, I didn't have the inclination; I was still dealing with the aftermath of my sister's passing [the Lamplighter award was at least at one point named in her memory].

These days, I've plenty of motivation but getting the time off is problematic.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Spogden

Quote from: dogden on January 30, 2007, 03:53:41 PM
...please share any tricks, lessons, etc. that might help those of us at Kirkland for the first time.

Tell your wife that you love her for giving you the opportunity. And call every chance you get to tell her you miss her.

DNall

And email her pictures in mess dress for graduation right?  >:D

dogden

Nah, Just come home in the mess dress with flowers in hand.  ;D
GRW#3325

Spogden

Quote from: DNall on January 31, 2007, 05:33:33 PM
Now see, we let you in a piece of priviledged information and look at you using against me... ::)

Spogden

Quote from: dogden on January 31, 2007, 05:45:09 PM
Nah, Just come home in the mess dress with flowers in hand.  ;D

There better be more than flowers. I'm not really a flowers type girl. ;)

Pylon

Quote from: airdad on January 30, 2007, 05:40:11 PM
I can't help you with SWRSC, but I attended NERSC in '97 and liked it so much that I've been back as staff every year since '99.  It is a fantastic opportunity to meet foks that have the same problems as you do-you'll find out that your problems aren't unique and if you're lucky, you'll make a new bunch of lifelong friends

Cool.  Sounds like fun.  If I can get administrative leave from work (i/e: not dipping into my vacation time), I'd really like to consider NERSC this coming summer.  I saw they announced they were holding it and the location, but no dates as of yet.  Any word on that?

And I'll second the question from the start of the thread:  Any good advice for preparing to go to RSC (especially as a 1st Lt ;) ).
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DNall

Quote from: Spogden on January 31, 2007, 05:49:16 PM
Quote from: DNall on January 31, 2007, 05:33:33 PM
Now see, we let you in a piece of priviledged information and look at you using against me... ::)
Against you? I thought that'd be an inside joke working in your favor.  ;D

Spogden

Now that we have come out of the fibers of the internet and met IRL, you're going to be a problem, aren't you.  ;)

DNall

Me, never. Just trying to help out a great fellow officer or two.

dogden

Heck i was trying to figure out a way to get her to Kirkland for the dining out. Then I will have to get myself elected as Mister Vice. I think that might be a fun evening.
GRW#3325

Spogden

hmmm...I think last time you had the chance to grog me at a dinning out, you were a wise man and decided it was in your best interest to referain.

Back to our regular scheduled programing...

Any tips for those attending RSC?

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Pylon on January 31, 2007, 06:58:44 PM

Cool.  Sounds like fun.  If I can get administrative leave from work (i/e: not dipping into my vacation time), I'd really like to consider NERSC this coming summer.  I saw they announced they were holding it and the location, but no dates as of yet.  Any word on that?

Dates for NERSC are 15-21 July; I just got an email on this from my home group's PD officer.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Pylon

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on January 31, 2007, 08:25:15 PM
Quote from: Pylon on January 31, 2007, 06:58:44 PM

Dates for NERSC are 15-21 July; I just got an email on this from my home group's PD officer.

Sounds promising!  Now to work on the admin leave from work.   ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

dogden

My current employer is ok with my involvement in CAP I just have to get my duties covered and I have the time to to the CAP stuff. I think it works out pretty well, BTW I am a stay at home dad  ;). I have to arrange the boys to go to grandma and grandpa so I can attend RSC.
GRW#3325

Spogden

DNall

;D Honestly I hadn't been, doin SOS now & that's really great if you hadn't tried it yet. Video modules you can do five minutes at a time if you like. RSC is a lot of material from real OTS from what I understand, & of course like you said a great networking opportunity w/ a lot of CAP officers near your level of development, which is alone worth the trip. LtCol Landry over this way isn't really active now (works evenings at the Serriff's dept), but he's been a couple times, I can get you his number if you want to talk to him. There's a NSC staff member in town too if you're interested in how the program itself goes, I don't know how much he can tell you about Kirtland though.

dogden

Thanks for the names I will try to look them up. I also need to contact Lt Col Scott Tripinski and Lt Col Owen Younger to get the scoop from them. I know that Lt Col Tripinski was an instructor there a few years ago and I think Lt Col Younger was a student.
GRW#3325