How many people have received a CAP decoration?

Started by Hawk200, January 22, 2007, 06:14:26 PM

How many people have received a CAP decoration within your first five years?

Yes, I have
32 (68.1%)
No, I have not
15 (31.9%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: February 01, 2007, 06:14:26 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: caphistorian on January 22, 2007, 09:41:16 PM"The awards process is the PAY that CAP members receive. It is the only real way to recognize an individual who is volunteering their time and money to help me do my job as a Squadron Commander. "

I had a squadron commander that had the same views. I mentioned that I didn't care for some of the cords and decorations, and he told that I was forgetting something. I asked him what. He told me "We don't get raises. Those ribbons, and our promotions are the only real recognition we get. Granted, those should earned. But if you don't give someone something to earn, you don't keep them." It changed my viewpoint drastically. And he's right, you don't give an attaboy or kudos, or decs, or promote them when they done something to deserve it, they don't stay around. This is one reason (of many) why I oppose positional grade.

QuoteA suggestion that I gave me Squadron members was to keep track of everything they did for the calendar year that was CAP related. Everything from phone calls about their duties to any and all activities they participated in. The Squadron Commanders have a lot of other things to think about and may have a hard time keeping track of it all. I would have them send me a Year in Review Summary of their activities. If something stood out than I would ask for further details.

Same thing I did while active duty for EPR's. We don't have EPRs, but decs serve well when dealing with folks volunteering.

Monty

From a Squadron Commander's perspective, these things are not terribly intense to generate and they're certainly not impossible to have approved.

When I took over this cadet unit of mine shortly after I arrived here from places afar, I was immediately amazed that (a) nobody had EVER been submitted for anything and (b) even if they had wanted to get an award, nobody knew how to keep a record to save their lives.

After all, it's all about the "kids," right?   ::)  (Who incidentally, had not received any decoration-type things either, ever.)

Long story short, after about 3 months of nearly 5-day-per-week record sifting, document recollections, and such, I was able to nominate seniors and cadets for the 4+ years of work nearly all of them had done before I arrived.

All went through.

In my estimation, the largest reason for decorations not happening is due to the far-too-typical lazy, blah senior who happens to be exceedingly horribly in their accounting of their own volunteerism or those for whom they speak.

The second largest reason is probably the well-intentioned person that submits somebody for an award but the write up is pointless.  "Joe deserves a CCA because he's never missed a meeting and can always be counted on."  You know what I'd say to that?  "Good job on Joe - you owe him a beer and a dinner for being one heckuva troop.  But how is Joe substantially better than those of like grade and responsibility...unless you mean to imply that the rest of your members always miss meetings and can't be counted upon?"

It slays me that there are so many interpretations on these awards...nevertheless, I'm an advocate for keeping people's big fat fingers out of the cookie mix.  Too much regulation and too many rules nearly always turn into quasi-handcuffs for the process.  "You can only approve the CCA between the months of Jan and March, for members who have served 4.5 years, and have the new membership photo card, while being able to balance a jar of peanut butter and sea monkeys while whistling Dixie....  Oh yeah, and all the other stuff they did."

What we have may not be perfect, but it likely beats an uber-regulated process.  Lazy-bird leaders need to get off their duffs, set the egos aside, get guidance and training from those that approve these things in their states, and then make the process work for the little guy.

So says Simple Simpleton, here....whose advice I give and freely implement, much to the decorated chests of my deserving troops....

Chappie

Hawk, Monty...great posts.  In the Chaplain Service, we would use the verse that says, "You have not, because you ask not" :)   Most of our members are not aware that THEY are responsible for filing out the paper work for their promotions and awards ... that none the approving parties (Squadron, Wing, Region, or National are omniscient.   I have painfully learned as others have before me that unless there is a paper trail in CAP, if it isn't recorded/filed and sent to National for entering -- it never happened. 

Some of our people are under the misconception that there is the "ribbon" fairy who magically appears and places a ribbon for some activity or training under their pillow at night.

Part of the training process in the Chaplain Service is to make our personnel aware that they need to mainain their own 201s as well as submitting their own Form 2as for awards and Form 2 for promotions. 

"Blessed is the Squadron CC who looks out for his/her troops and keeps on the papertrail to Wing, Region and National flowing."
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

SAR-EMT1

That said, would anyone mind posting the actual commendation that came with your awards?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Major_Chuck

A few thoughts from when I was the Region Admin/Personnel Dude...

Too many times Wing Staff would put out the calls for the 'Of the Year Awards' only to receive nothing.

Too many times we would ask for awards nominations and receive....nothing.

It is a two way street.  Wing and Region Staff's are more than willing to process award nominations but they need to receive them to do so.  They also have to have the proper endorsements.  Anyone can nominate a person for an award.  It does not have to be the Squadron Commander.

Also, make sure it is in the proper electronic format.  Awards that have to head to NHQ have to be in the famous 'electronic format'.  Hard copies and scanned PDF files will get sent back with no action taken.

Remember that Region Awards Boards and probably most Wing Level Awards Boards are meeting over 'the internet'.  Personnel Officers will distribute them electronically to the members of the boards and wait for replies.  The days of sitting around the kitchen table and hashing them out are almost long gone.

Add some 'meat' to the award nomination.  The more substance the stronger it is to keep the award as a MSA and not downgraded to a CC.  Nominations should highlight the nominees achievements and what makes them standout against his/her peers.  

True Story:  I kicked back one MSA nomination because it simply told me that "Captain XYZ is a nice guy and a good commander."  There was a short paragraph of how he attended meetings and helped with Cadets.  Yes...that is good, that is what all of us do on the basic level.  

Your Region/Wing/Unit PAO should be able to take the same nomination package and be able to do a complete newspaper write up on the individual.  

I could go on and  on.  Truth is that we don't recognize our members enough and in a system where the award doesn't contribute to our CAP pay or add to the CAP promotion points we should be given every hard working volunteer out there the recognition they deserve.

Finally, before I go on into oblivion here...make the award presentation mean something.  Do it in front of a formation.  Take good pictures.  Don't hand it to them in the parking lot with the rest of the mail distribution.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Pylon on January 22, 2007, 06:35:00 PM
Oh, if you count that Unit Citation, then yes.  I've got a "decoration".   :P   It means so much...

What, someone flick a booger at ya and *poof!* ya got the 'Green Weenie'?  ;D

Seriously, all ya gotta do is show up to a meeting and you get a Unit Citation! How many squadrons still believe in the obsolete rule of wearing the squadron's UCA while a member of the squadron? Way too many to count. I 'demoted' my UCA to a single ribbon and one bronze clasp, denoting the two UCAs I earned as a cadink in FL WG many moons ago.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SarDragon

Quote from: Chappie on January 23, 2007, 12:20:05 AMSome of our people are under the misconception that there is the "ribbon" fairy who magically appears and places a ribbon for some activity or training under their pillow at night.

I disagree a little. A good Personnel Officer should be tracking things like promotions and Red Service. My Personnel Officer, and I before her, built a spreadsheet that gets updated once a month with all the necessary dates and accomplishments. When someone is due, the form gets filled out, and sent through.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Monty

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 23, 2007, 12:21:56 AM
That said, would anyone mind posting the actual commendation that came with your awards?

It might be a little less invasive to ask about general "winner" style concepts vs. actually seeing some folks' actual citations (although, CAP has NO shortage of "stuck on themselves" sorts, I'm not showing you mine!)   ;D

Here's a GREATLY simplified methodology that works for me

-Cause and effect: Who cares that so-and-so did whatever...what was the need, what was the goal, and what was accomplished?

-ALWAYS groovy to offer a measurement as well (i.e., "for the first time in three years, xyz" or "generated a 64% completion rate, compared with the prior year's 58% completion rate.")

-If so-and-so was the leader, he *led* or he *managed* or *he organized.*  Far too often, write ups seem stupid because he merely *did,* and well, there's nothing special about plain 'ole *did.*  Leading, managing, organizing, implementing...those tell the approval authority a bit more accurate a picture.

These aren't hard and fast rules...just make them something worthwhile, well-thought, and carefully worded so as to MAXIMIZE the truthful feats.  Make a snore fest for the approval authority and you'll snore right through the "rejected" stamp, slapped on your submission.

freeflight

I disagree with the idea the one needs to be at group or higher to receive decorations.  I received my first decoration while at squadron level.  I have nominated several people in my squadron for decorations and they have received them. I think the adage is "If you don't write them you won't receive them". There have been people in my squadron who have received the Meritorious Service, Commanders Commendation and Lifesaving awards that I have nominated.

Major_Chuck

Quote from: freeflight on January 23, 2007, 01:38:32 AM
I disagree with the idea the one needs to be at group or higher to receive decorations.  I received my first decoration while at squadron level.  I have nominated several people in my squadron for decorations and they have received them. I think the adage is "If you don't write them you won't receive them". There have been people in my squadron who have received the Meritorious Service, Commanders Commendation and Lifesaving awards that I have nominated.

I don't think anyone is saying that you have to be at the higher levels to receive awards.  There is just a misconception that only those at higher headquarters are receiving them.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

James Shaw

I would post one of mine if wanted. I am proud of what I have earned and dont mind sharing. I will have to scan it and submit tomorrow.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

MIKE

It's the dumb things that some people get CCA's for that bug me. >:(  Stuff that at most rated a certificate, at least a thanks for helping out, but not a decoration.  And I still ain't got one. 
Mike Johnston

Major_Chuck

This is an issue, probably one of the contributing factors to the steady decline in membership retention.  When people are not recognized for their participation or achievements they tend to lose interest in what they are doing.  Especially in a volunteer organization.

I would venture to say that most of the membership of CAP is not here for the awards.  However when you see other people being recognized for achievements that you either match or exceed one begins to wonder "Why?"

"Why should I bust my butt to roll out of bed for every late night ELT, attend every training exercise, and give what little free time I have when Lieutenant Fuzzy Wuzzy over there gets a Commanders Commendation for helping one afternoon with a carwash?"

I'm not advocating handing the awards out like they are candy, but we need to at a minimum start to recognize more often those who do go beyond their peers to see that the mission is successful.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Major_Chuck

I would post one of mine but they essentially go something to this effect...

"Major Cranford walks on water, splits mountains with his vision, has the wisdom of Solomon, the patience of Ghandi, and is an all around good guy."

Okay, this is a little tounge in cheek.  I can't really walk on water.  :)

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

DNall

Quote from: caphistorian on January 22, 2007, 08:59:48 PM
I had a standard format for my CC's when I was a Squadron Commander and only had 1 turned down out of a couple dozen submitted. I even had 1 that was changed to a Meritorious on the way up.
Could you post that if you got it laying around. That's the kind of thing that would be helpful in the reg, same as the AFI & outside sources on thier end.

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on January 23, 2007, 04:56:56 AM

"Major Cranford ... and is an all around good guy."

In an airborne unit, that generally means you can be counted on to show up at all functions with the beer. Which I guess should qualify you for some sort of award.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Dragoon

Quote from: Pylon on January 22, 2007, 06:54:42 PM
Quote from: Dragoon on January 22, 2007, 06:39:45 PM
And, frankly, it's harder to get good Wing Staff than good Squadron Staff.  If you don't take care of 'em, they leave.  And then you're stuck with the "B Team" screwing things up for everyone.

The same with squadron and group staff.  They can be very demanding jobs, especially in units with stretched personnel resources.  If you don't recognize them, you'll get the same result. 

Not exactly. 

A bad squadron staff officer screws up 30 or so people's lives.

A bad group staff officer screws up 300 or so people's lives

A bad Wing staff officer screws up 1000 people's lives.

It's scope of responsibility  EVERYONE is important, but the higher up you go, the more you really need talent and effort.  Because those people can affect sooooo many members.

Example, if a Squadron Finance officer doesn't do a good job, you may end up without funds to buy a new radio, or you may be late on a rent check.

If a Wing Finance Officer doesn't do a good job, no pilot in the Wing gets reimbursed for mission flying, to the tune of thousands of dollars. And at some point they stop wanting to fly.  Plus, the Encampment doesn't get funded.

We really really need to reward the guys who step up to these kind of thankless jobs.  The fun is in the squadrons - HQ stuff is normally just work.

DNall

^ well, there's some balance to that also. If a Wg staff officer doesn't do anything it tends not ot matter cause all the work is done down below anyway. If a Sq staff officer doesn't do anything then there is no program. Now, yeah if a Wg staff officer does something really good or bad then it tends to effect a wider number of people.

Major_Chuck

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on January 23, 2007, 01:38:42 PM
Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on January 23, 2007, 04:56:56 AM

"Major Cranford ... and is an all around good guy."

In an airborne unit, that generally means you can be counted on to show up at all functions with the beer. Which I guess should qualify you for some sort of award.

Supreme Order of the Golden Stein, First Degree with Crossed Barbeque Fork and Knife.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Dragoon

Quote from: DNall on January 23, 2007, 02:24:57 PM
^ well, there's some balance to that also. If a Wg staff officer doesn't do anything it tends not ot matter cause all the work is done down below anyway. If a Sq staff officer doesn't do anything then there is no program. Now, yeah if a Wg staff officer does something really good or bad then it tends to effect a wider number of people.

If the wing DO and ES guy don't do their job, you don't fly.

If the wing Finance guy doesn't do his job, you don't get reimbursed.

If the wing logistics guy doesn't do his job, your wing gets put on freeze by national and recieves no new radios, vehicles or equipment.

If the wing maintenance guy doesn't go his job, no one gets reimbursed by National to repair vans or airplanes.

Sure, if the CP guys or AE guys don't do their jobs, you still run a cadet program (though encampment might be an issue).  But there's a heck of alot more to running the Wing, and squadrons can't pick up the slack.

Again, squadron folks are important.  But talented Wing staff can make EVERYONE'S life easier.