UDF Task Guide Communications Exercises

Started by kd8gua, July 08, 2011, 09:38:14 PM

kd8gua

I've been asked to teach the three communications exercise/tasks from the UDF Task Guide at an upcoming bivouac. I've never once actually used a CAP radio on a mission. I've used one in a van before to talk to another van during an Encampment, but that's about it. My amateur radio experience comes in much handier than the BCUT course I've taken. As such, just from the amateur world, I can teach all of task L-0001, some of L-0002, and most of L-0003. I'm coming here to look for some help with teaching the things I do not know about from the tasks. I am my unit's comm. officer. We do not have a group comm. officer, and we just got a wing DC, but I'd rather not have to take this all the way up to wing if I can just get some ideas from other knowledgeable people first. I've also read 100-1 and 100-3, and these things are not in there.

So here are my issues with L-0002: Calling and acknowledging aircraft, sending change of grid assignment, and updating mission comm. status boards. I'm assuming calling an aircraft would be like calling a van or a mission base, but I could be wrong. I have no idea how to send a grid change or update a board. These are also things not clearly spelled out in 100-1 or 100-3. If they are somewhere... could someone point to a specific page?

And my issues with L-0003: The primary and alternate HF frequencies for the region. I don't even know which squadrons in my wing even own HF radios. I've seen one CAP truck at a wing event with an HF setup... that's it! So I have no clue where to find HF information.

Thanks for any help!
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

Ed Bos

Quote from: kd8gua on July 08, 2011, 09:38:14 PM
I'd rather not have to take this all the way up to wing if I can just get some ideas from other knowledgeable people first.

I'm a push-to-talk kind of guy, so I don't know the answers to your question, but I really recommend that you use your Wing counterpart as much as possible.  IMHO as a former Wing Staff member in 2 wings, wing staffers want to be able to do their job, and fielding questions like this is right in the DC's lane.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Eclipse

The specific steps to take are in the Task Guides, just follow those:

There is nothing different regarding contacting an aircraft - call it in the same manner as any other station.  Just make up a grid, and then change it.
You can use a proctor for the plane - anyone with another radio.

Just ask your DC what the primary frequencies are and then brief them before the tasking.

Anyone with a radio card should be able to perform those tasks cold if they have a few pieces of info beforehand.

Just follow the steps in the task guide.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ed Bos

Quote from: Eclipse on July 08, 2011, 10:26:46 PM
There is nothing different regarding contacting an aircraft - call it in the same manner as any other station.  Just make up a grid, and then change it.

If I read this thread correctly, I think the original poster might not know what a grid assignment is. If he doesn't know that CAP-specific material, he should be getting assistance in teaching it.

I get that you're being encouraging, but handing someone a book and saying "just do what it says" isn't the ideal means to teach, especially if the task guide doesn't go into that level of detail. I imagine that's why we have instructors and reference texts, no?
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Eclipse

Fair enough, if the understanding it that limited, than as you say he should bring in some hired guns.

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

A quick read thru page 243-244 will give you an idea of what air crew are trained to communicate to base over the radio. http://www.cap-es.net/NESA%20MAS/MART%20Rev%201%20Jun07.pdf

For a typical mission, the aircrews will contact base for radio check, engine start, wheels up, estimated arrival time to grid, entering grid, exiting grid, estimated time for RTB, and the typical ops normal every 30 minutes and report findings if any.

Aircrews are also expected to receive new grid assignments from the IC (relayed thru comm) when situation changes.

Everything that the aircrews communicates to base gets updated on the status board, either electronic or an actual white board so that everybody involved knows where the assets are and what will happen next.

Eclipse

Knowing what a grid is would certainly be helpful, and making up a scenario to explain to the trainees where the pretend grid is and why
they'd get a reassignment is good general knowledge, but for the tasking itself, this is simple message traffic.

CAP1130 this is UDF Team 1.

UDF Team 1 this is CAP1130 go ahead.

CAP1130 we have a new grid assignment from mission base.  Respond when ready to copy.

UDF Team 1 CAP1130 ready to copy.

CAP1130 proceed to Grid Alpha Four Zero and begin an expanding square search.

UDF Team 1 we copy as proceed to Alpha Four Zero and execute standard expanding square search.

Roger CAP1130, UDF Team 1 out.

Etc...

In this case, the importance is on the use of clear pro words, proper procedure, and insuring the message is passed properly, not a full understanding of the grid system.

"That Others May Zoom"

wacapgh

Review CAPR 100-3 as well, there are some significant differences between Amateur and CAP voice procedures. Also, the regulation sets out different procedures if you are:

VHF "good conditions" - clear, interference free ("full quieting" in amateur), low traffic.
VHF "difficult conditions" - interference, high traffic, weak/broken signals.
HF - Always.

They can be tough to read, the differences sometimes get buried in "Always use procedure X, but if you have good conditions you can use procedure Y but always use procedure Z on HF."  :-\

For example: "CAP 1130" in the sample above is pronounced on the air as "Cap Eleven Thirty". Why? "Cap XXXX" is an FAA Air Carrier call sign, just like United or Delta. The FAA approved procedure is to "group" the numbers together - "United One Twenty Three"; "Alaska Ten". (CAPR 100-3, 1-8)

Keep reading and check section 1-9, e about station identification rules when using functional call signs. Read it, stop, think about the example (neither is a Base or fixed station) and reread it again.

2-16, b (1) - How would that section apply in the example if conditions are "good"? When conditions are "difficult"?

Little things perhaps, but they add up to help make a "good operator".

dctoph

Lt Thomas,

Expect an email from your wing DC offering assistance!

-- CK