Main Menu

Active vs Inactive Members

Started by lordmonar, January 05, 2007, 11:14:03 PM

Fifinella

Quote from: BillB on January 10, 2007, 06:30:34 PM
I'm still trying to figure out, what is the problem with having inactive members in a Squadron. USAF or CAP-NHQ doesn't know they are inactive. In fact they pad the MML which in turn leads to more equipment being issued to a Squadron. Why all this talk about moving them out of a unit when there is no reason to do so?
OK, I understand what folks are saying about not creating more paperwork.  Agreed.  What is the problem w/ inactive members?  In our (cadet) squadron, we've got a bunch of inactive SMs.  We keep getting busted in the chops for our low turnout (%wise) at Wing events.  If they looked behind the curtain, they'd see 2 folks furiously juggling, and one guy blowing smoke.  I'd LOVE to transfer the inactive SMs to a Senior sq., a ghost sq., *anywhere* so folks knew what our situation really was. 
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

capchiro

If you truly only have three active member, then you are no longer a squadron.  Are you really ready to admit that to Wing and become a flight under another squadron?  If so, transfer the inacive members out.  Most Wings have a "ghost" squadron and then you can get rid of all of the dead wood and responsibility that goes with having a squadron.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Fifinella

Quote from: capchiro on January 25, 2007, 05:10:00 AM
If you truly only have three active member, then you are no longer a squadron.  Are you really ready to admit that to Wing and become a flight under another squadron?  If so, transfer the inacive members out.  Most Wings have a "ghost" squadron and then you can get rid of all of the dead wood and responsibility that goes with having a squadron.
WADR Sir, I said I'm in a Cadet Sq. with about 3 truly active Senior members.
CAPR 20-1, Part I, Section E, 19b defines a cadet sq. as being "comprised primarily of cadets with a minimum of 3 senior members to meet supervisory, administrative, and training requirements in the conduct of cadet programs." 

I'm not trying to get rid of the "responsibility" of a squadron.  I'm trying desperately to save this squadron, and I need help from REAL bodies.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

brasda91

Sadly, I'm one of those senior members this thread is talking about.  Couple years ago, I was sqd. cc and needed a break.  Our sqd. has only a few seniors and as the cc, you get to do what is not assigned to a senior member.  I resigned my command and took some time off.  I have been/was inactive since then.  I kept my dues paid to keep the numbers up for the sqd.  I didn't attend meetings.  I had a call from the new chaplain where he asked me if I would start attending the meetings and participating.  I said no, I have a 3 month old that occupies the majority of my free time.  I told him that if they ever needed a question answered, I would be more than willing to advise them to the best of my ability.  He had a couple of questions and I told him I would find out what I could get get back with him.  Since I started looking for the answers to his questions, it has renewed my desire to participate actively with my sqd (haven't broke the news to my wife yet  :o).  Since I've started refreshing myself with the changes over the last couple of years, I have been amazed in what has changed.  Honestly, I had noticed the "Patron" status and I feel like my membership status should have been changed.  Conversely, I have been in communication with a fellow senior member who hasn't attended a meeting in years due to his limited mobility, who I thought should be transferred to "Patron" status, only to be informed he put in over 150 hours on the Wing HF net last year.  I believe it is up to the sqd cc to know his members and know which ones simply pay their dues for the benefit of the sqd.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011