A way to help Senior retention.

Started by RogueLeader, December 15, 2006, 12:52:35 AM

RogueLeader

I thought of a way to help new seniors stay involved.  The big issue is that they don't get involved as quick then get tired, then quit.  Here is what I propose:
1) After the get their GES, Start training for ES Operations, for the duty that is both needed/wanted.
2) An ES Acadamey is required to be Fully Qualified for ES Operation
       a) this ensures high quality trainig and standards
       b) this allows new members to keep interest
       c) this allows for a higher Squadron Readines
       d) Allows for higher response to SAREXs
3) For example: Say a members application for membership is processed a week before an ES Acadamy, in a state that only has 2 ES Acadamies twice a year, and very little allowed trainging inbetween.  It will be about six months before he is ES qualified.  So, the member can learn from those in that Squadron about the ES job chosen.  This way, he/she has the opertunity to learn about  his ES job as soon as feisible, and thus feels vauled.  He knows that he has to attend the Acadamy to be able to go on real missions, but can be leaning all the while.

Tell me what you think, and how that could be improved.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 15, 2006, 12:52:35 AM
I thought of a way to help new seniors stay involved.  The big issue is that they don't get involved as quick then get tired, then quit.  Here is what I propose:
1) After the get their GES, Start training for ES Operations, for the duty that is both needed/wanted.
2) An ES Acadamey is required to be Fully Qualified for ES Operation
       a) this ensures high quality trainig and standards
       b) this allows new members to keep interest
       c) this allows for a higher Squadron Readines
       d) Allows for higher response to SAREXs
3) For example: Say a members application for membership is processed a week before an ES Acadamy, in a state that only has 2 ES Acadamies twice a year, and very little allowed trainging inbetween.  It will be about six months before he is ES qualified.  So, the member can learn from those in that Squadron about the ES job chosen.  This way, he/she has the opertunity to learn about  his ES job as soon as feisible, and thus feels vauled.  He knows that he has to attend the Acadamy to be able to go on real missions, but can be leaning all the while.

Tell me what you think, and how that could be improved.

What about units that do not have a significant ES presence? I know of two in my immediate area. They are both Cadet Sqs, and focus on CP and AE. Forcing ES training in these units would be counterproductive to the unit.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RogueLeader

In no way was this intended to be forced upon anybody.  This was designed to be a traing meathod for Squadrons that had many new members.  This is a way to help the IAWG model that is being pushed get some better reception at the units that are farther away.  It also helps out in other ways.  It also helps in the fact that the traind ES people are more efficiant because they are teaching it too.  It has been proven that teaching a subject has a renention rate of 80 to 90 percent of the material.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

cyclone

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 15, 2006, 01:33:58 PM
In no way was this intended to be forced upon anybody.  This was designed to be a traing meathod for Squadrons that had many new members.  This is a way to help the IAWG model that is being pushed get some better reception at the units that are farther away.  It also helps out in other ways.  It also helps in the fact that the traind ES people are more efficiant because they are teaching it too.  It has been proven that teaching a subject has a renention rate of 80 to 90 percent of the material.

That's a nice suggestion, but I agree with SARDragon that many squadrons do not have the subject matter experts, or people who are good at teaching (trust me not everyone is able to teach) to be able to cover all the ES Specialties.    We've proven that here in Iowa for the last 60 odd years. 

Good instructors are always welcome at the ES Academy and we are in short supply of them.

Also, conducting constant initial training at a local unit drains a unit's leadership rather quickly.

That's why all new officers are put through the OTS and it is a 6 month process of training and education. Your unit is benefitting from 9 new officers going through this program.  I'd recommend you watch how that works.

Ricochet13

OK . . . I've been sitting back reading CAP Talk everyday since CAP Portal went down.  Haven't said much as the threads were somewhat repetitive ( nothing wrong with that).  Think I will share some thoughts and then sit back and listen to the criticism (that's "constructive" criticism I hope?) 

I'll do this in several parts.  I'd like comment and help picking everyone's brain.  I'm pretty much alone on this so it will help to hear others.  I believe in "brainstorming" and a problem solving technique so you can think out of the box if you care to respond. 

PART I - A New Start

Here's the situation.  I've taken command of a squadron which has been inactive overall.  Three of it's members are very active in wing and region activities, but the squadron itself doesn't have a "local" presence.  Some members of the squadron have never attended a meeting in the four years I've belonged.

Being a proponent of the Iowa Model I've made a "Command Decision" that the local squadron will function as a "proof of concept" for the rest of the wing during its recruitment and rebuilding phase.  There are obviously things that work, and things that don't work in Iowa.  As the squadron rebuilds and recruits new members an OTS format will be used to train these new officers as a collective group, almost like starting a new squadron.  That's one advantage having all "newbies".  Don't need to run parallel training for experienced members.

The OTS will take place at the local airport where a brand new corporate meeting room has been made available.  The squadron will train for 7 hours on a Saturday and will follow a curriculum similar to that used by Iowa in its OTS.  This will allow us to focus on CAP for an extended time and make the logistics easier to handle.

One of the decision which has been made is to "require" active involvement by the present members of the squadron and continued active involvement by those who are recruited and then graduate to become CAP officers.  For those who unable to participate there are the options of joining another squadron or transferring to the "Reserve" ØØØ at wing HQ.  There are times when a personal life may need to take precedence and there is nothing negative in my mind with being in a reserve unit.  For new members recruited, this will be stated "up front" and carefully monitored.  One goal therefore will be quality over quantity.
Six active members is better than 12 that aren't.

(Note:  I can feel some of you squirming in your chair, frothing at the mouth, can't wait to be to the keyboard and say "You can't do that!!!)

If it works, I'm a "hero", if it doesn't I'm a "bum" and Group/Wing Commander fire me.  But we're going to try it.

OK let me "have it"!  Part II will discuss the training that will be conducted unless I see something else that needs to be addressed first.

Rogue Leader - If this is not what you'd like on this thread, let me know and I'll start another. Not a problem.

cyclone

If your Wing is not in a position to do this Wing Wide I think you will have to go at it alone.   

The troubles will be that if you don't have a cadre of people to handle training your newbies, you will get overwhelmed quickly.   

They all will need uniforms, lots of coaching, and tons of e-mails and phone calls with questions. 

I would make sure you are VERY selective in your recruitment.  You want people that will stay the course and understand the committment to CAP (2 years here in Iowa) to make up for all the time and money put into their training. 

Good luck with your initiative!

Psicorp

The only thing I can see wrong with that is the getting new members into E.S. training so early in thier CAP career.  Maybe if they're sharp, it could work...but most new Senior Members I've encountered need to focus on the basics for the first six months at least (uniform wear, customs and courtesies, completing the CAP Officer Course, and other introductory items).  Not to mention that individuals interested in Emergency Services will need to complete all the other course work associated with that (General E.S. qualifications, ICS 100 and 200, Basic Communications User Training, etc.).

There's a reason why Cadets have to have their Curry Achievement before they can go to an Encampment and other actvities; Senior Members should be given time to assimilate as well.  No one likes to wait to do the "fun stuff", but the basic information is what builds an Officer's knowledge base and gives them a firm foundation as to what all this CAP stuff means and what our relationship is with the Air Force and other organizations.  

I just don't want to see us sacrifice our heritage and non-E.S. commitements for the sake of retention.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

flyguy06

What if a Senior Member is not interested in ES

RogueLeader

I appreciate your inputs, I really do.  You pointed out a few areas that I either failed to notice, or left out.  I think that the six months is a bit off, but it all depends on how involved in the unit that the member is.  If the member is really involved, I would have no porblem letting them start ES.  If the member is only partially involved, it may be seven or eight months before they'd be ready for ES.  I should also mention that I meant "teach" in a looser meaning.  I meant going over their operational tasks, and going up to practice them.  If a member is up for lecturing a class- good, if not- do what you can.  As a former Teacher Education student, I understand that not all people are cut out for teaching large groups of people.  I'm one of them.  I can still show people what they need to do, I still "Teach" in that way.
I should also mention that no one should be forced into ES, I'm saying that this could be used to get those who are passionate about getting into ES, but can't due to other factors such as ES Academy is 4 months away, missed ES due to work, etc.  If a member does not want an ES job, fine, their choice.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

Quote from: Ricochet13 on December 15, 2006, 02:55:02 PM
Rogue Leader - If this is not what you'd like on this thread, let me know and I'll start another. Not a problem.
I think that is a great way to go.  It makes real sense, and that is what I was looking for.
Carry on.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Ricochet13

Great replies so far . . . very encouraging.  I'll try to respond individually as best I can.

Will put your individual comments together into a summary for all to see.

"Many hands do light work make"  - Don't feel all alone on this now.  Send me thoughts and ideas.

RogueLeader

This was thought of as a thing to do at the local level.  It would suplement what the OCS at wing is doing, as well as getting those members who have been active in the unit for more than six months, that want to be ES qualified the training they want.  I also agree that there should be structure to the program, and not start a new section when a new person starts.  I think, depending on availability of qualified personel, that groups of three or four might work, and not burn the commander/leader out.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Carrales

You are quite correct about retention.  The trick is to have things to do...meaningful things.  SARex activity and training.  For a squadron, (any organization for that matter), stagnation is DEATH!  If there are no "agenda items" or "training objectives...goals" the unit is finished.

That goes for all types of units.  Cadet squadron die when there is no motivation for them to be there.  Many, in my experience, like meaningful responsibility of the type ES brings.  That, with the uniform and drill...rather the idea of keep it all together, is a good way to keep cadets.  Those units that don't do ES with cadets need to make the CAP Cadet Program memorable.  Encampment and preping for one help drive that.

Senior Squadrons and Composite Squadrons  must have a sort of "prepetual training cycle" where there is always things to contribute.  Composites have a unique challenge balancing their ES, Cadet and other unit activities. (it is worthy of mention that my ony CAP experience is with the Composite Unit)

I guess the mantra is "task 'em fast keep em tasked...keep the momentum going and keep 'em flying!!!"
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

M C, and all,
Do you have any specific ideas about how to make it better.  I have a meeting with the DO tomorrow and  I'd like to have a revised opinion for him.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Ricochet13

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 15, 2006, 05:37:41 PM
You are quite correct about retention.  The trick is to have things to do...meaningful things.  SARex activity and training.  For a squadron, (any organization for that matter), stagnation is DEATH!  If there are no "agenda items" or "training objectives...goals" the unit is finished.

I think you've reminded us of the "trick" or "key" to not only retention, but helping to provide a satifying experience for members.  Leaders need to articulate a vision for the future, instill a clear understanding of that vision, and then inspire others in their unit to accomplish what is needed.

That should be incorporated into any OTS and carried on when new officers assume a fully functional role with their respective quadrons.

Always hated "busy work" myself.  Leaders need to be aware as they plan activities.  I would also add. Even a new idea which is tried and doesn't work, is BETTER than never trying anything at all.  As MC pointed out, that's stagnation.

RiverAux

Ricochet, I have been in a somewhat similar situation myself and though I think I was just about as active a recruiter as possible and even though the squadron grew moderately, I never had enough brand-new or even relatively new members to make that sort of scheduled training class for them realistic.  I think it can definetely work at the Wing or Group level (depending on your Wing size), but I would be surprised if a single squadron could do it unless you are already a fairly good size. 

What I would advise doing is that if you get enough of your own people to make the OTS model feasible, invite newbies from other nearby squadrons to attend.  That would have the advantage of making your classes a bit larger and spreading the OTS model around a bit.  Some units may take advantage of what you're doing, and others may not, but it couldn't hurt. 

As to retention, the most important thing I've found is to have worthwhile meetings with a broad variety of topics.  In other words, don't focus every meeting on "pilot stuff".  Invite in guest speakers from outside CAP (local police, fire, CG Aux), etc.  When people know they'll get some value for attending, they'll come.  If it gets to be "the same old stuff" they're more likely to think they can skip a meeting here or there and not miss anything (and they're probably right).