FBI Background/Fingerprint Checks Backlog?

Started by RADIOMAN015, October 13, 2010, 03:46:59 AM

RADIOMAN015

My understanding is that new members in my squadron have been told that the finger print check (after successful input into the system by National Hq) are now going to take up to 90 days before completion.

Anyone else being told the same thing?

RM/a

IceNine

That has always been the timeline they sell, but they usually deliver in advance of that mark.

We are at the mercy of the FBI and our volunteer needs fall well behind the needs of the DOD and Gov't.  With the pending elections I'm sure there are more than a few politicians being scanned, which probably contributes to the extended delivery date.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

MSG Mac

When CAP first implemented the Fingerprint program we were told that the longer it takes the better. Felons and people who have records pop up very quickly once submitted.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

I've heard that 90 days before - but it's been more like 3-4 weeks. I can't say  I've ever seen one bounce, either.

JeffDG

Quote from: a2capt on October 13, 2010, 09:28:53 AM
I've heard that 90 days before - but it's been more like 3-4 weeks. I can't say  I've ever seen one bounce, either.

Yeah...lots of people report "service levels" then exceed them when they can...if they promise 90 days and deliver in 30 everyone's happy....If they report 30 days and get backlogged to 40, then people will be calling for some poor idiot to get fired!

In terms of bouncing, if it's gonna bounce, I would presume someone would just not join the organization requiring them!

Lawson

Quote from: JeffDG on October 13, 2010, 11:04:18 AM
In terms of bouncing, if it's gonna bounce, I would presume someone would just not join the organization requiring them!

You would be surprised. Ive never seen it in CAP, but I have seen it working for Security and Law Enforcement agencies. Have had people apply with stuff like Domestic Violence, felonies, etc... and even heard of people applying to law enforcement with active warrants for their arrest.

JeffDG

Quote from: Lawson on October 13, 2010, 01:11:19 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on October 13, 2010, 11:04:18 AM

You would be surprised. Ive never seen it in CAP, but I have seen it working for Security and Law Enforcement agencies. Have had people apply with stuff like Domestic Violence, felonies, etc... and even heard of people applying to law enforcement with active warrants for their arrest.

"You can't fix stupid."

EMT-83

The last background we had took three weeks for the fingerprints to come back.

To echo other comments - I've seen LEO applicants led way in cuffs due to outstanding warrants, and their cars towed from the PD parking lot for being unregistered or under suspension.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on October 13, 2010, 11:04:18 AMIn terms of bouncing, if it's gonna bounce, I would presume someone would just not join the organization requiring them!

That presumption basically misses the point of the check to start with.  People roll the dice on the "system" all the time.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on October 13, 2010, 01:36:47 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on October 13, 2010, 11:04:18 AMIn terms of bouncing, if it's gonna bounce, I would presume someone would just not join the organization requiring them!

That presumption basically misses the point of the check to start with.  People roll the dice on the "system" all the time.

Not necessarily.  If you presume people have some basic level of intelligence (I know...it's a stretch), then having a background check will prevent those who know they will fail from applying in the first place.  The lack of negative background checks does not necessarily mean the checks are ineffective.

Grumpy

Then there's the case of the pedofile who hasn't been arrested yet and has no criminal record.

Krapenhoeffer

And when the occasional pedophile (spelling emphasis mine) gets through, we have CPPT to help us.
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

Eclipse

I think the pedofile is where they keep the information.

"That Others May Zoom"

peter rabbit

We've had a few people complain they've had to resubmit fingerprints several times due to smudging or other issues. After two tries without success, I begin to wonder if they aren't good copies for a reason. Has anyone else had this problem?

Grumpy

Quote from: Eclipse on October 13, 2010, 06:28:19 PM

Yee gad, 50/50 chance and I STILL get it wrong.

SarDragon

Quote from: peter rabbit on October 13, 2010, 08:00:28 PM
We've had a few people complain they've had to resubmit fingerprints several times due to smudging or other issues. After two tries without success, I begin to wonder if they aren't good copies for a reason. Has anyone else had this problem?

I had two new members whose jobs/hobbies have an effect on their fingertips.

One was a woodworker, and the continual contact with sandpaper made his fingertips almost totally smooth. Getting good prints was a challenge. The other was a nurse, and the alcohol exposure had a similar effect.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

Quote from: SarDragon on October 13, 2010, 09:46:50 PM
Quote from: peter rabbit on October 13, 2010, 08:00:28 PM

I had two new members whose jobs/hobbies have an effect on their fingertips.

One was a woodworker, and the continual contact with sandpaper made his fingertips almost totally smooth. Getting good prints was a challenge. The other was a nurse, and the alcohol exposure had a similar effect.
Aren't nurses required to wear gloves when working with patients and chemicals including alcohol. That policy has been in effect for at least 25 years
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

DakRadz

Quote from: Grumpy on October 13, 2010, 08:57:43 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 13, 2010, 06:28:19 PM

Yee gad, 50/50 chance and I STILL get it wrong.
Yeah... Not exactly something you want to Google to check on spelling... One of those more forgivable spelling errors, I'd say ;)

EMT-83

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 13, 2010, 10:00:29 PMAren't nurses required to wear gloves when working with patients and chemicals including alcohol. That policy has been in effect for at least 25 years
Actually, the use of gloves (to the extent that they're worn today) is a relatively new practice. It's more likely constant hand washing, and sanitizing with alcohol-based products, that causes skin damage.

NCRblues

funny this should come up, in 2005 my squadron had a single male come to our meetings and want to join. When told he would have to put in fingerprints he told our squadron commander "i cant give fingerprints anymore, the CIA removed them years ago". He didn't show back up anymore after that  >:D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC