Members ID Cards Problems

Started by RADIOMAN015, September 13, 2010, 11:56:15 PM

RADIOMAN015

My source tells me there's a problem with the contractor that is suppose to be spitting out those plastic cards to the members.  Some members have been waiting close to a month with no receipt yet even of the temporary plastic card. >:( >:(

One source says that the National paid staff is recommending that the picture ID card be procured because it's done "in house" and will get done faster.

Got to wonder now what went wrong with such a simple process ???

RM   

Persona non grata

Ordered my new one last week and arrived today, no problem here.   And yes I was wearing the AIR FORCE style uniform when the picture was taken >:D.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Capt Ford

I know I got a new one in the mail about 2 weeks after I got the temporary one. From what they told me in the letter was that the printing process the company was using was wrong and that the wording on the cards would fade away after a couple of weeks from the wear it would get going in and out of wallets. So paying 4 extra dollars to get the nicer picture ID is worth it in my opinion.
JOHN E FORD, Capt, CAP
Assistant Administration Officer
Florida Wing

Eclipse

One week from order to door, arriving yesterday.

"That Others May Zoom"

capmaj

At the same time though, I have yet to see a CAP  photo ID card that didn't have a problem with wear on the picture surface after a couple of months of use.

Eclipse

Quote from: capmaj on September 14, 2010, 11:46:04 AM
At the same time though, I have yet to see a CAP  photo ID card that didn't have a problem with wear on the picture surface after a couple of months of use.

Which is the case for any ID-style card(s) left in a wallet and subjected to constant friction, heat, and abuse.  I always order two - one for my "wallet" (actually a Slim Clip), and one for my ES arm band.   The wallet one looks as worn as expected from 3 years of constant use and abuse (as does my driver's license), the ES one, under plastic and rarely actually touched by human hands, looks brand new

CAP can't cold start a warp core in less than 30 minutes, nor change other laws of physics.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Was I supposed to get an ID card saying I'm a SM? Just realized all I have by way of CAP is my C/Capt Picture ID.

Eclipse

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on September 14, 2010, 04:24:24 PM
Was I supposed to get an ID card saying I'm a SM? Just realized all I have by way of CAP is my C/Capt Picture ID.

You should be a new one that says "SM" - you might actually have to request it.

"That Others May Zoom"

DBlair

Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2010, 04:38:40 PM

As SMs, don't we also get new cards when we promote? Seems like they may have forgotten about mine.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Майор Хаткевич

I figured they send it with some sort of confirmation of the transfer in status...none so far.

JeffDG

Quote from: DBlair on September 14, 2010, 04:56:43 PM

As SMs, don't we also get new cards when we promote? Seems like they may have forgotten about mine.

You're supposed to, but only when changing category...from Cadet to Senior, but not when just changing grade, like Capt.->Major

vmstan

Shortly after my 2d Lt showed up in eServices, I requested a new Photo ID card. I received the photo ID within 10 days, I still have yet to receive my CAP library card with updated rank, or do they even send one? This was over a month ago.

Either way, I don't need it. I don't use the library card for anything, other than as a name plate inside my notebook.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Marshalus on September 14, 2010, 05:52:05 PM
Shortly after my 2d Lt showed up in eServices, I requested a new Photo ID card. I received the photo ID within 10 days, I still have yet to receive my CAP library card with updated rank, or do they even send one? This was over a month ago.

Either way, I don't need it. I don't use the library card for anything, other than as a name plate inside my notebook.

I didn't get mine either when I renewed membership. Seems that if you get B, they don't send A.

vento

Quote from: JeffDG on September 14, 2010, 05:51:01 PM
Quote from: DBlair on September 14, 2010, 04:56:43 PM

You're supposed to, but only when changing category...from Cadet to Senior, but not when just changing grade, like Capt.->Major

Hmmm, as a Senior Member, I got a new library card everytime I got promoted...

jimmydeanno

^until recently, when they decided that to save money, they weren't going to do it anymore.

I recently transferred units, didn't automatically get a new one.  Promotions?  Not automatically anymore.  I won't get another automatic one, with the current, correct information until I renew my membership in three years.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

When I was at the NB, I got a new pic done, and I got the impression that there would be one or the other - pic ID or membership card.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

spacecommand

I think there was the proposal to get rid of the library card one and move over to a Photo ID membership card, minus your unit information on it.  Cadets and other non active Senior members will get a card with the CAP logo on it instead of a photo.  Transfers, promotions etc would not automatically get you a new card (you have to request for it)  , however change in status will get you a new card (eg cadet to senior).

I don't have all the exact details though.

MSG Mac

There was a proposal in the May 2010 NEC agenda that stated that one would only get 1 membership card a year due to the cost of producing and mailing them. WE have about 60,000 members and National was sending out about 80,000 a year due to lost cards, transfers, promotions, etc. The agenda stated that they would send out a new card if you paid $3 or $4 for the replacement. There is also  an option of printing out your free card in E-Services.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Patterson

^printing out a paper "temporary card" is worthless when you try to get in anywhere that an actual person has physical control over...i.e. an Air Force Base

How about a new card when you promote and if you change units or categories.  Make those that loose them pay.  Don't make me pay because I get promoted.  That is like "good work your now a Major, give us $4.00".

Has anyone noticed that it is taking a little bit longer to get the new Cadet and Senior Member Binders now?!?!

Pylon

Quote from: Patterson on September 15, 2010, 08:42:52 PM
How about a new card when you promote and if you change units or categories.  Make those that loose them pay.  Don't make me pay because I get promoted.  That is like "good work your now a Major, give us $4.00".

1.  That's how promotions already work.  If you put in for a promotion and get it, expect to pay to change insignia, etc.   I paid about $90 in insignia for my last promotion once I figured in everything from mess dress and blues to flight suits and BDUs.  Don't want to pay more than you have to, that's cool, you can still volunteer without getting promoted in CAP.

2.  I don't see a regulation that requires you to carry a membership card with your current grade on it.  If you get promoted to Major and your membership card says Captain, it still identifies you properly as a dues-paying member through the expiration date on the card.  That's the purpose of the card in the first place: to verify membership status, not as a check on an individuals' grade or unit affiliation (some grades aren't even denoted on cards including all CAP NCOs, Cadets, and Flight Officers).

3.  Reducing the amount of cards sent out frees up our limited dues money for other NHQ resources.  I'd rather have $4 go towards the cadet programs directorate or something useful than another membership card for me (when the one I have will do just fine).

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP