Main Menu

UDF quals

Started by CCAlex, June 07, 2010, 04:49:54 AM

CCAlex

I would like to know where to find a website that can teach me how to do Lat. and Long. I have a hard time with it.
Thanks

SarDragon

What is it that you are not understanding?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Wrong end of the state .. or I'd go there on a meeting night and teach it..

The biggest thing: "Long" .. they are all long, they are all the same size. Those are the ones that go from North to South. They all meet at the poles.

The others, Latitude  go around the Earth. They go across the oceans, from New York to London, etc.
They are parallel with the equator.

For your part of the world, as you go west, and north, the numbers get larger.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: CCAlex on June 07, 2010, 04:49:54 AM
I would like to know where to find a website that can teach me how to do Lat. and Long. I have a hard time with it.
Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_coordinate_system#Latitude_and_longitude

Wikipedia is your friend.   :)

vento

Quote from: CCAlex on June 07, 2010, 04:49:54 AM
Thanks

http://www.nesa.cap.gov/curriculum_material/GSAR/GTRT.pdf
Chapter 5 and 6 are related to most items listed on the UDF SQTR.

RVT

I learned it by thinking "Lattitude" sounded like "Ladders" so you used them to climb up.

HGjunkie

Quote from: Dwight J. Dutton on July 06, 2010, 01:58:50 PM
I learned it by thinking "Lattitude" sounded like "Ladders" so you used them to climb up.
Hmmmmmm...

"Laddertude"

COOL.  :clap:

edit; cool, but incorrect.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Ozzy

Or Lattitude sound like Latterals which are PT movements going side to side. I've actually have been having some trouble with them because of all the map work you do in ROTC uses different measurements and grids :-\
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Krapenhoeffer

Ah, the wonders of UTMs... Yes. They are much easier to grasp. The USGS Quadrangles are made with UTMs in mind, not Lat Longs. This might make things worse if you don't understand aviation charts, but Sectionals make Lat/Longs much, much easier to understand.

Regardless, I have no idea why CAP doesn't use UTMs. So much easier (and quicker) than Lat/Longs, and a computer at mission base can do the conversions instantly, should the need arise.
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

SarDragon

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on July 07, 2010, 05:43:31 AM
Ah, the wonders of UTMs... Yes. They are much easier to grasp. The USGS Quadrangles are made with UTMs in mind, not Lat Longs. This might make things worse if you don't understand aviation charts, but Sectionals make Lat/Longs much, much easier to understand.

Regardless, I have no idea why CAP doesn't use UTMs. So much easier (and quicker) than Lat/Longs, and a computer at mission base can do the conversions instantly, should the need arise.

Well, the first thing you need to do is convince the FAA to use UTM. Then it will be easy for CAP to follow suit.

BTW, some of y'all got a big surplus of Ts you need to get rid of?  Lattitude and Latterals really only need one each.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Krapenhoeffer

Well, UTMs for use for Ground Operations was what I intended to say. We live in a wonderful age of technology, where nice easy things like this exist: http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/TOOLS/utm.shtml
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

SarDragon

The ground units still need to coordinate with the aircrews. The easiest way right now is using aeronautical charts, which use lats and longs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Short Field

;)  You would have better luck communication with an aircrew in Klingon than UTMs.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

sdcapmx

Try this website from an active CAP member who now lives in AK..  http://www.cap-es.net/

sardak

Once upon a time, there was a UDF and GTL task, O-0208 "Locate a Point on a Map Using Universal Transverse Mercator Coordinates." It was dropped because someone decided CAP ground teams don't need to know UTM. This despite the wide use of UTM among non-CAP ground SAR groups. Also, US National Grid, which is based on the Military Grid Reference System, which uses UTM as its foundation, was declared the federal civilian standard in 2001 (though most everyone, including those in the federal government, weren't aware of this). The National SAR Committee has made USNG the standard for use by ground SAR personnel on federal catastrophic SAR incidents. Aircrews are expected to be familiar with it and ground personnel are expected to be familiar with lat/lon.  http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg534/nsarc/Georeferencing_info.asp

Mike