California CN Program Obsolete?

Started by DG, March 25, 2010, 12:35:28 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on March 26, 2010, 04:38:29 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on March 26, 2010, 04:16:43 PM
POTUS Used marijuana, he is not a user. It's not like President Bush made cocaine legal either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalization_(psychology)

In psychology and logic, rationalization (or making excuses) is the process of constructing a logical justification for a belief, decision, action or lack thereof that was originally arrived at through a different mental process. It is a defense mechanism in which perceived controversial behaviors or feelings are explained in a rational or logical manner to avoid the true explanation of the behavior or feeling in question. It is also an informal fallacy of reasoning.

And what exactly did I rationalize? Major Lord made his writing imply that the President is a current marijuana smoker.

Flying Pig

Quote from: Pylon on March 26, 2010, 03:51:49 AM
Quote from: Rotorhead on March 25, 2010, 12:45:18 PM
Not according to the DEA, which says states can't legalize pot.

For what it's worth, there's a standing Executive Order from the President directing federal agents and agencies not to pursue or prosecute individuals who are growing/selling/using marijuana under provisions set by state laws.  So while the federal law may very well technically trump the state laws, the feds are not getting into that quagmire at this time.

Executive Orders do not cancel existing laws.  Thats why we are a Republic.  The President isnt a King who can wipe away laws at the stroke of a pen. I can assure you the DEA is still going after marijuana growers and dealers.  Either that or I just spent the last week wasting a lot of time.

DogCollar

Because of the use of marijuana by friends and family, I have a lot of personal pain associated with this topic.  Putting it bluntly, in no way, shape or form should marijuana EVER be legalized!  Medicinally, there are legal medications that are much more effective at controlling pain, nausea and appetite stimulation.  The medicinal attributes of pot is highly overrated.

Because of hybredinization, the THC in marijuana is 70% to 120% higher than it was in the 1970's.  This is NOT your fathers' Pot!!  It is highly psychologically addictive.

Lastly, too many young people are abusing this drug and suddenly finding themselves engaged in the criminal justice system, ruining a significant portion of their futures.

Again, I freely admit that I have strong opinions regarding this issue.  But those opinions are formed through personal and professional experiences over a long period of time.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Eclipse

I took your statement as justification for use (USAFAUX2004).

I agree 100% that legalization is not a solution.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mustang

In terms of danger to society, marijuana is not the problem.  Crystal Methamphetamine, heroin, and cocaine are. 
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

raivo

Quote from: Mustang on March 26, 2010, 11:33:34 PM
In terms of danger to society, marijuana is not the problem.  Crystal Methamphetamine, heroin, and cocaine are.

Meth is beyond scary. If even half the horror stories I've read about it are true...

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Hoorah

Quote from: DG on March 25, 2010, 12:35:28 PM
This will be the end of CN Ops in CAWG.

California Votes to Legalize Marijuana

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — When California voters head to the polls in November, they will decide whether the state will make history again — this time by legalizing the recreational use of marijuana for adults.

The state was the first to legalize medicinal marijuana use, with voters passing it in 1996. Since then, 14 states have followed California's lead, even though marijuana remains illegal under federal law.

"This is a watershed moment in the decades-long struggle to end failed marijuana prohibition in this country," said Stephen Gutwillig, California director for the Drug Policy Alliance. "We really can't overstate the significance of Californians being the first to have the opportunity to end this public policy disaster."

The California secretary of state's office certified the initiative for the general election ballot Wednesday after it was determined that supporters had gathered enough valid signatures.

The initiative would allow those 21 years and older to possess up to one ounce of marijuana, enough to roll dozens of marijuana cigarettes. Residents also could grow their own crop of the plant in gardens measuring up to 25 square feet.

Proponents of the measure say legalizing marijuana could save the state $200 million a year by reducing public safety costs. At the same time, it could generate tax revenue for local governments.

A Field Poll taken in April found a slim majority of California voters supported legalizing and taxing marijuana to help bridge the state budget deficit.

Those who grow and sell it illegally fear legalization would drive down the price and force them to compete against corporate marijuana cultivators.
What is CN.

Flying Pig

Counter Narcotics. It is actually called Counter Drug (CD)  CAP doesnt refer to it as CN.

raivo

Technicalities, but marijuana isn't a narcotic. ;)

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

davidsinn

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 27, 2010, 01:19:36 AM
Counter Narcotics. It is actually called Counter Drug (CD)  CAP doesnt refer to it as CN.

Not to be confused with Character Development(CD)
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Major Lord

Quote from: raivo on March 27, 2010, 01:38:38 AM
Technicalities, but marijuana isn't a narcotic. ;)

You are right, its not Opioid, but the legal definitions and jurisdictional issues redefined the word:

United Nations

A looser usage of the word "narcotic" to refer to any illegal or unlawfully possessed drug including marijuana and cocaine is common worldwide, although these substances are not considered narcotics in a medical or scientific context. The central drug policy making body within the United Nations, for instance, is the Commission on Narcotic Drugs, although the United Nations officially defines a narcotic drug to be "any of the substances, natural or synthetic, in Schedules I and II of the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, 1961, and that Convention as amended by the 1972 Protocol Amending the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, 1961"[5] Used in this manner the word "narcotic" is a useful if not wholly accurate label to denote any drug that is subject to the U.S. Controlled Substances Act, or similar legislation elsewhere.

Drugs are defined according to a specific group of subsets for criminal purposes ( "Schedules") but these have little to do with their medical taxonomy. Marijuana is technically a "Hypnotic" class of drug.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

a2capt

Quote from: davidsinn on March 27, 2010, 01:51:04 AM
Not to be confused with Character Development(CD)

But.. some interesting Characters can be Developed along the way .. even with just pot ;-)

Pumbaa

California is thinking of this for a simple reason...

Everyone will be so stoned they will forget the financial problems the state is in!

PHall

Quote from: Pumbaa on March 27, 2010, 02:32:03 AM

Everyone will be so stoned they will forget the financial problems the state is in!

Two words.....   TAX INCOME

Pot is about the only "vice" that the State of California doesn't tax.

Pirmasens

You know, after working overseas for over 30 years defending your country and watching your counrty go down the pan for the sake of something stupid like money is really sad. Legalization of drugs, litigation, complacency, and ignoring illegal alien problems, there is nobody to take a stand. Everyone is a liberal, except the bad guy, he knows what he wants and he has taken the time to know his "enemy". This is why they are sucessful to now, peacemeal response from defending entities argueing over jurisdiction, can you not see we are all on the same side?? It does little good to complain, you feel bad about looking down an abyss, and some profit-minded so-and-so is telling you its fine-its okay-yotta-yotta-yotta. Its not fine! And if profit-minded individuals at upper level were replaced with patriotic types, this whole business would be repaired in record time. Well I didn't really want to make a speech, but this latest news is too much. Out here.........

Flying Pig

I was tracking with you the first couple sentences and then...........

Welcome aboard though

JC004

Quote from: PHall on March 27, 2010, 03:35:45 AM

About the only thing in general that they don't tax.   >:D

PHall

Quote from: JC004 on March 27, 2010, 10:58:14 PM
Quote from: PHall on March 27, 2010, 03:35:45 AM

About the only thing in general that they don't tax.   >:D

Kinda hard to tax something that is illegal to even process.

Pumbaa

...make it legal, then they tax it.

The new mission is to spot the growers and then, they get taxed....

So the outcome goes from the Po Po to the Ta Po

RADIOMAN015

Frankly this is a program that CAP shouldn't have gotten involved in, in the first place.   The total lack of OPSEC is unbelievable.  There's been stories in the press in the past even telling where our airplanes where stationed , and the same commanders' bragging about how much weed was found etc.

There's plenty of law enforcement aero assets (especially in CA) that could be used for this program.   

This program should have been run as black ops so to speak, and the public disclosure could have been something along the lines of "in addition to diaster relief efforts, CAP on occassion, may provide limited confidential recon/photo services for other federal law enforcement agencies".
Even screening for these missions, could have handled as a "special screen" for a federal agency.

RM