My BBDU experiment: after two years, I be done with this nonsense

Started by NM SAR, September 24, 2013, 05:45:46 AM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on October 06, 2013, 09:37:08 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 06, 2013, 03:29:44 PM
Seriously, why aren't we doing this?

Because it would offend or hurt someone's feelings.

It offends and hurts my feeling when folks larger than me are wearing AF unis.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

^ Nice! But before, make sure you fill out a Hurt Feelings Report...  >:D

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on October 06, 2013, 10:53:40 PM

We should add that as a category on the 78.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: shuman14 on October 05, 2013, 05:53:12 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on October 05, 2013, 03:14:47 PM
If anybody is interested I am having a fine day.   8)
Good morning to you! Glad you are having a fine day!

So PI, what are your thoughts on a khaki Corporate uniform or the elimination of the Woodland BDUs and making BBDUs the sole Field uniform of CAP?

(Just trying to get us back on track.  ;) )

Sir, I find that those are fine ideals IMHO.  :clap:

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on October 06, 2013, 08:41:06 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 06, 2013, 08:05:04 PM
There is the matter of a calibrated scale. Discuss.

Someone brings it from home, anyone raising an issue about "calibration" gets an atomic wedgie.

Whyzat? If we're going to do it, then let's do it right.

I'm a little distressed that you can be so hard line in some areas, and yet blow this off.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Because that's exactly the kind of thing someone who is 10 over and embarrassed is going to raise
as a red herring objection.

This doesn't have to be complicated.

Authorize every unit to buy a $20 scale at Walmart and move on.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on October 07, 2013, 05:27:25 AM
Because that's exactly the kind of thing someone who is 10 over and embarrassed is going to raise
as a red herring objection.

This doesn't have to be complicated.

Authorize every unit to buy a $20 scale at Walmart and move on.

What about the scale that reads heavy, and says someone is overweight, who is really not? If it's important enough to do it, then let's do it right.

Using cheap, uncalibrated spring and strain gage scales isn't doing it right. I worked in the cal business when I was in the Navy, and saw wide variations in that type of scale because of use, misuse and abuse. The ones I worked on/with were adjustable, and periodically checked. Common bathroom scales are usually neither.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on October 07, 2013, 06:01:07 AMCommon bathroom scales are usually neither.

Most scales you buy today are electronic and have few moving parts, some can be self-calibrated.

But seriously, you really want to make the case that there's enough variance in this range to matter?

It won't matter, because anyone with a beef will bring their own, which is fine, too.

Again, +/-5 isn't the issue, even 10 is fine, its the guys that are 30 over still wearing their cadet pants that are the issue,
and the variance of the average home scale won't matter.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Presence or lack of moving parts has little to do with the situation.

Calibration involves putting standard weights on the scale and comparing the reading to the applied weight. You can't really self calibrate a scale. Set the zero - yes. Calibrate as I've described - no.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on October 07, 2013, 07:17:22 AM

It really does - modern scales use a transducer or strain gauge to judge the weight, a purely electronic process,
and not one which is prone to going out of whack because of abuse, and certainly not to the accuracy needed for this.

Believe it or now, one million years ago, I used to do calibration of panel meters and transducers for use in science and
industrial applications.  More shocking is that I just looked up the company and while they have moved, they are still in business
and those !@#$% meters still look basically the same!

"That Others May Zoom"

tribalelder

If there is a chance you are gonna get in the little plane, as pilot, observer, scanner or ballast, CAP has a legitimate interest in your weight from a safety standpoint. We could even have your weighin BE the January safety meeting. Like Eclipse suggested, use a consumer grade scale and allow a few extra pounds.

But we'll need a new 101 specialty, task guide,  new  list of SETS for scale operator.

WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

Brad

Quote from: tribalelder on October 07, 2013, 11:59:54 AMBut we'll need a new 101 specialty, task guide,  new  list of SETS for scale operator.

Well since legals has the balance scales already, would their specialty badge be one of those big cartoon weights?
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Walkman

Just don't eat a huge meal right before you're weigh-in meeting! One Thanksgiving, just for kicks I weighed myself before and after the meal. I know I didn't eat 6 pounds of food in one sitting!

Al Sayre

Just for an interesting test, take your electronic scale and weigh yourself normally 3 times.  Let it reset itself before each time.  I've seen as much as 2% variations (+/- ~4lbs for my ~200lb weight) over 3 tests in about a 5 minute time frame. 

I've also noticed that foot placement and balance can drastically affect the results.  Try moving your feet to the inside/outside/front/back, then try placing your feet in the same spot, but leaning fore& aft/left to right.  you probably won't get the same results in any two positions...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Shuman 14

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 06, 2013, 01:59:41 AM
We move forward with enforcement of the standard.  Personally there is nothing wrong with what is in place now it's the lack of enforcement that is an issue.  We have options to accommodate everyone who wants to be a member of the organization, and again I think you need to focus on fixing issues within your own organization than here.

The thing is... I don't see any issues with the USCGAux's uniforms, our standard is fair, reasonable, professional and enforced.

If you mean the Army... that's a different story. Congress may fix the field/cammo uniform for all of us, dress/service is up in the air.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Al Sayre on October 07, 2013, 02:04:27 PM
Just for an interesting test, take your electronic scale and weigh yourself normally 3 times.  Let it reset itself before each time.  I've seen as much as 2% variations (+/- ~4lbs for my ~200lb weight) over 3 tests in about a 5 minute time frame. 

I've also noticed that foot placement and balance can drastically affect the results.  Try moving your feet to the inside/outside/front/back, then try placing your feet in the same spot, but leaning fore& aft/left to right.  you probably won't get the same results in any two positions...

I've never had an issue where the difference was over a fraction of a pound on my digital scale. With your numbers, I should be seeing swings of 5 or so lbs, but the most I've seen was .2-.4.

Panache

Quote from: Storm Chaser on October 06, 2013, 10:53:40 PM

Can I do it in eServices?

abdsp51

Quote from: shuman14 on October 07, 2013, 02:09:43 PM
The thing is... I don't see any issues with the USCGAux's uniforms, our standard is fair, reasonable, professional and enforced.

If you mean the Army... that's a different story. Congress may fix the field/cammo uniform for all of us, dress/service is up in the air.

We are not the USCGAux we are the USAF Aux different organizations different missions, and there is nothing wrong with what we have in place outside of those who do not have the integrity to abide by the rules and the lack of enforcement.  It's simple and the big thing is is that no one wants to be the bad guy and have that conversation. 

Panache

Quote from: Eclipse on October 07, 2013, 07:29:10 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 07, 2013, 07:17:22 AM

It really does - modern scales use a transducer or strain gauge to judge the weight, a purely electronic process,
and not one which is prone to going out of whack because of abuse, and certainly not to the accuracy needed for this.

Believe it or now, one million years ago, I used to do calibration of panel meters and transducers for use in science and
industrial applications.  More shocking is that I just looked up the company and while they have moved, they are still in business
and those !@#$% meters still look basically the same!

Eclipse speaks the truth.  Metrology (not meteorology, which is the "art" of trying to guess what the weather will bring) is a very exact, very specific science.  I had a metrology technician at my job show me just how off the mark most commercial off-the-shelf measurement tools are.  It was quite enlightening.