Alot of questions Questions

Started by CAPed Crusader, February 20, 2019, 10:40:13 PM

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 21, 2019, 08:58:51 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 21, 2019, 02:50:46 PM
There are some exceptions as to how high NCOs can go in CAP, which depend on their echelon assignment. You won't see Chief Master Sergeants assigned to squadrons, just like you won't see Colonels assigned to squadrons.

Wanna bet?  I had 2 Cols at one time assigned to my squadron and here in CAWG there is a CMSgt assigned to a squadron and he was a CC.

So, unless there is some meritorious exception, per the regs, Colonels are promoted from service outside of the squadron level, and the promotions are temporary unless otherwise approved at the National level for permanent status.

Also per the regulation, Chiefs are promoted into high-level leadership roles. If they complete the assignment and return to the squadron level, then they can retain the rank.

Nobody---these days---starts in a squadron, stays in a squadron for their duration of CAP (never moving to a higher echelon), and makes O-6 or E-9.

abdsp51

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 21, 2019, 09:55:51 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on February 21, 2019, 08:58:51 PM
There are some exceptions as to how high NCOs can go in CAP, which depend on their echelon assignment. You won't see Chief Master Sergeants assigned to squadrons, just like you won't see Colonels assigned to squadrons.

Wanna bet?  I had 2 Cols at one time assigned to my squadron and here in CAWG there is a CMSgt assigned to a squadron and he was a CC.

So, unless there is some meritorious exception, per the regs, Colonels are promoted from service outside of the squadron level, and the promotions are temporary unless otherwise approved at the National level for permanent status.

Also per the regulation, Chiefs are promoted into high-level leadership roles. If they complete the assignment and return to the squadron level, then they can retain the rank.

Nobody---these days---starts in a squadron, stays in a squadron for their duration of CAP (never moving to a higher echelon), and makes O-6 or E-9.

Deflection either way your previous qouted statement was false. 

mdickinson

You don't need a rank necessarily, but you need to be a senior member to be a unit commander (NCOs cannot hold command).

Incorrect; a CAP NCO can be a squadron commander. The commander of my CAP squadron for several years was a CAP NCO (a retired USAF MSgt).

I think a CAP NCO could probably be a group commander as well (but I recall wing commander requires a grade of Major or Lt Col).

abdsp51

Quote from: mdickinson on February 21, 2019, 10:35:46 PM
You don't need a rank necessarily, but you need to be a senior member to be a unit commander (NCOs cannot hold command).

Incorrect; a CAP NCO can be a squadron commander. The commander of my CAP squadron for several years was a CAP NCO (a retired USAF MSgt).

I think a CAP NCO could probably be a group commander as well (but I recall wing commander requires a grade of Major or Lt Col).

Sir,

Currently by regs a CAP NCO cannot be a CC however in one case that I am familiar with a CAP NCO was a squadron CC.. 

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: mdickinson on February 21, 2019, 10:35:46 PMIncorrect; a CAP NCO can be a squadron commander. The commander of my CAP squadron for several years was a CAP NCO (a retired USAF MSgt).

Ref. ICL 18-06 to CAPR 20-1 (https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/ICL_1806_R201_4_Sep_18_865613378A514.pdf):

"CAP Senior NCOs (MSgt, SMSgt and CMSgt) may be in charge of a unit designated as a flight (if there are no CAP officers assigned); however, NCOs will not be authorized to command a Squadron, Group, Wing or Region"

Emphasis mine.

jeders

And once that duty is complete, they are more than welcome to return to the squadron. Thus making it quite possible to see colonels assigned to a squadron. As for chiefs, it's probably more likely to see a chief assigned to a squadron than a colonel as it is possible for a prior enlisted E-9 to join and receive equivalent rank without ever having to work outside the squadron.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

MSG Mac

Quote from: jeders on February 21, 2019, 11:14:11 PM

And once that duty is complete, they are more than welcome to return to the squadron. Thus making it quite possible to see colonels assigned to a squadron. As for chiefs, it's probably more likely to see a chief assigned to a squadron than a colonel as it is possible for a prior enlisted E-9 to join and receive equivalent rank without ever having to work outside the squadron.

We've even had several former National Commanders and Vices return to Squadrons and Groupa. There are also several retired Flag Officers who join to serve at Squadrons.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

sardak

USAF Brig Gen David Patton (ret), the last CAP-USAF commander to hold GO rank, has served for many, many years as a CAP Lt Col at the squadron level.

Mike

CAPed Crusader

Quote from: Capmonkey on February 21, 2019, 08:09:58 PM
I'm guilty of it too, so don't feel bad. It comes with time, since I've been in for 5 years. Just work on it. Progress, not perfection, cadet :)

Thanks! I feel a little bit better now!

Capmonkey

Quote from: francisderosa16 on February 22, 2019, 12:20:08 AM
Quote from: Capmonkey on February 21, 2019, 08:09:58 PM
I'm guilty of it too, so don't feel bad. It comes with time, since I've been in for 5 years. Just work on it. Progress, not perfection, cadet :)

Thanks! I feel a little bit better now!

Just practice, and remember, when in doubt, Chain of Command FIRST

Pace

Asked. Answered. Redirected. Lessons hopefully learned. Let's move on before this off-track NCO/Col discussion spirals any more.

*click*
Lt Col, CAP