Something interesting happened to me this evening

Started by ande.boyer, August 19, 2006, 11:10:58 PM

ande.boyer

So we get back from a SAREX today around dinner time; I decide to stop for food on my way home.  I decide to go to "Country Vittles" which is very much a mom & pop family restaurant that serves the best country fried steak I've ever had.

I'm wearing BDU's for the first time since I was a cadet in the 90's.  As soon as I walk in the door, pretty much everyone in the place is looking at me.  I get seated in a booth next to a family of 4 with 2 little kids and their little girl in the is staring and smiling at me....so, I smile back at her and say hello.  I hear her mom say something to her daughter and then reaches across the table to shake my hand and says "I'd like to thank you for your service. We really appreciate what you're doing."  This kinda stunned me and I was really too flattered to come up with any kind of a respose.  After I finished and paid my check, I noticed that the cashier had figured in their (25% !!) military discount. I felt kinda bad about taking the discount (since I'm not actually in the miltary), so I went back to my table to leave the difference as a tip for my waitress.

Anyone ever had anything like this happen to them? 

-ande

dwb

Yep, several times.  My standard response is to smile and say thank you.

People just want to show their appreciation, so think of it as accepting their thanks on behalf of people in uniform.  It's a little awkward, but then again, I think I'd find it awkward even if I was in the military.

mprokosch11

Once after a parade and elderly citizen came up to me and said "I like to thank you for your service to our country." It happens a lot because not many people know the difference between CAP and the military.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

CAPChap

I've had this happen a few times. The most gracious response is to smile and say "thank you very much." 

The first time it occurred it was rather disconcerting. I had been at a meeting of other chaplains and military ministry leaders. I was in BDUs because I departed that meeting to go to our Wing Encampment. It was warm summer day, and I was running with the windows down (no a/c).

Pulling up to a traffic light, I noticed the gun rack (and the bumper stickers) on the pick up truck beside me.  I tried not be as inconspicuous as possible. But after the second time the guy next to me yelled, "HEY YOU!"  I could no longer ignore him. I smiled, said Hi, and he said, "Hey, thank for your service!" 

Since I couldn't very well explain who we were, etc., I smiled and said, "Why thank you very much!"  and he drove off.  I darn near sat there through the change of the light....stunned.

I figured it was much easier to be gracious about it than to try to explain it away to everybody.

lordmonar

I've back in the states now for about a month and a half and this has happend to me 5-6 times.

It has been over 10 years since I last spent any real time in the states and in uniform so this has never happend to me before.

It is kind of neat. 

Don't sweat that they mistook CAP for Active Duty, just say thank you and press on.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Becks

Yup, this happens quite a bit, both the thank yous and the military discounts, just smile and say thank you.

BBATW

Eclipse

YES, YES, YES!  Smile and say thank you.

Engaging them in the socio-political-economic issues regarding the big "A" vs. little "a", etc., is so counterproductive.

Remember, in some places of the US, we are the only "military" anyone ever
sees, this is why it is so important to look good and be on our best behavior at all times.

We represent the good 'ol US of A and if it makes someone's day to buy us lunch once in a while or a cup of coffee, so be it.

This is NOT the same thing as blowhards walking around salute trolling or demanding discounts and special deals.

If someone DOES engage you in a real conversation in this case, be the best recruiter you can be, and though humility is always a good idea, don’t down-play your service.  Again,
we do a lot for Uncle Sam, people should start hearing about it.  Also, the general public wants to feel patriotic and as if they are doing their part.  The warm-and-fuzzies you spread today are worth more than you can imagine.

The common reaction when I discuss all the time spent in CAP activities with members of the RealMilitary® is “you do this for FREE?!?”

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

And of course you answer...."No sir....I pay for the privilege to serve!" :clap:
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Smokey

I've had it happen too.....I just smile, thank the person and go on.  Remember , we do perform a service to the country.  We may not perform combat missions, but by CAP performing the non combat missions such as SAR for the AF we free up the regular AF to perform those missions.   Plus CAP got it's start protecting the shores of the country during war time.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

c/LTCOLorbust

Yeah it has happened a lot to me, and I used to try and tell them the difference and that there was no need to thank me. But after a day at the fair helping at our booth, when a very nice older man said thank you and I tried to tell him other wise, all he said was he knew who I was and I still needed to be thanked... after that I smile give them a thank you and if they ask I tell them the difference..

But then there are the other people that have another idea of the military and do some pretty mean stuff... and I hate it when its to some of our cadets in the SQ... We were at a event helping with parking and our color guard was there with the colors... getting ready to leave one of our cadets got a hamburger for the ride home from one of the booths... as he was eating the burger a younger kid... had to be in Jr. high past him spit on his boot and said some slang word (that shouldn't be used) soldier... Thankfuly the cadet just kept eating and it didn't even get at him but some of our seniors were pretty up set(and they should be) 
1Lt. Joshua M. Bergland
Yakima Composite SQ.
WA Wing

CLB

FYI: Tuesday is Military Discount day at Hooters...... >:D

Haha, Just kidding.  It happens to us quite a bit, especially at the Waffle House just off Charleston AFB.  As Drew said, just smile and say "thank you". 
Capt Christopher Bishop
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron

jacklumanog

I'm in agreement with all the previous posters  --   be gracious and respectful and thank them for their generosity. 

On a side note, my Wing CC just told us a story of him being in the corporate whites with grey slides at the airport on the way to NB and his waitress gave him the airport employee discount when he was eating at the terminal cafe!
Ch, Lt Col Jon I. Lumanog, CAP
Special Assistant to the National Chief of Chaplains for Diversity of Ministry

smj58501

Quote from: lordmonar on August 20, 2006, 04:14:56 PM
And of course you answer...."No sir....I pay for the privilege to serve!" :clap:

Interesting you say that (although in jest). I have been stopped in both types of uniforms (CAP and Military) and thanked for my service. I have always feel uncomfortable accepting thanks and kind words. Maybe going to Catholic Schools did that to me.

At any rate, I started saying "I am honored/ priviledged to serve this great nation" whenever someone thanked me. In a way it helps shift the spotlight a bit. ... just a suggestion.

PS-
Quote from: CLB on August 20, 2006, 11:07:33 PM
FYI: Tuesday is Military Discount day at Hooters...... >:D
No Hooters around Bismarck, but I never miss a chance to patronize this chain when I go TDY. Besides the obvious assets found in any of their restaurants (get your mind out of the gutter.... I was speaking of their wings and adult beverages), this chain really does do an excellent job supporting the military.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

capchiro

Fellow Cap'ers,
This is not an unusual thing to happen to anyone in uniform at this time, unlike the attitude during the Viet Nam era.  I would like to remind you all that less than 10% of any military service serves in a combat role.  90% serve in support roles and usually are not placed in jeopardy.   CAP members also serve their country and do so voluntarily, without pay.  We have lost members in this service to their country and fellow man.  We are in fact patriots and should not forget it.  Wear your uniform with pride and accept your fellow Americans thanks with Grace and Pride.  You not only represent the  Air Force, you also represent the Civil Air Patrol, a patriotic, honorable, noble organization that has served this country for over 60 years.  I am not downplaying the role of our fellow active duty soldiers, sailors, or fliers, for I have been one of them, I am only reminding one and all that we are part of a great organization and rightfully deserve the thanks we so seldom receive.  That is all, carry on.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

flyguy06

This goes to my point. People on here constantly tell me "We are not the military" But to the general public we are. So, since this is the case, we need to carry ourselves as such. ANd that mean enacting military standards when it comes to dress and behavior.

MAJORZ04

Sirs;
All the above has happened to me many times.
On 9/11 all the neighbors, where I live, knocked on our door and asked if I have
to go, or what is happening.  Some folks I've never talked to, but they saw me
in uniform, coming home or getting the mail after a SAREX or... whatever, think
I'm in the military.  We do impress people... thus.... we must act professional and wear whatever uniform to look our best ...
A big hhhuuurraaah to all the responders to this thread... you understand the big
picture... Maybe our National Leadership could learn from the "real" CAP..... "US"

flyguy06

Tank you for the comments and compliments MAJORZ04. One thing though and its minor.

There is no such word as SIrs. I correct soldiers of this all the time so dont think I am singling you out. When addressing multiple male senior officers, the correct term is Gentlemen. Thats all. No slam, just a pet peave of mine  ;D

c/LTCOLorbust

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 25, 2006, 07:02:08 PM
There is no such word as SIrs. I correct soldiers of this all the time so dont think I am singling you out. When addressing multiple male senior officers, the correct term is Gentlemen. Thats all. No slam, just a pet peave of mine  ;D

Sir what if it is a group of female higher grading officers or a group of male and female?
1Lt. Joshua M. Bergland
Yakima Composite SQ.
WA Wing

thefischNX01

Quote from: c/LTCOLorbust on August 26, 2006, 09:22:18 PM

Sir what if it is a group of female higher grading officers or a group of male and female?

At the SLS, the proper greeting we were taught is "Ladies" for a group of females.  I regret that I do not remember weather or not it was "Sir and Ma'am" for a group, or "Ladies and Gentileman"
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

flyguy06

Quote from: c/LTCOLorbust on August 26, 2006, 09:22:18 PM

You say Ladies if it a group of female officers and if it both you would say "Good morning ladies and Gentlemen"