Main Menu

OSHA safety course

Started by flyguy06, January 17, 2010, 07:22:14 PM

flyguy06

As part of my Army National Guard duties, I had to take this week long OSHA coure. I am now OSHA qualified and can give safety inspections to armories in my state.

Can I apply this qualification to CAP as far as being a CAP Safety offcer? I liked the course and I am interested in safety. Would love to be the region and maybe nNational Safety Officer one day maybe.If nothing else I just think safety, especially air safety is important.

Eclipse

The knowledge and mindset, yes.  The actual certificate, no.

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetProgramGuy

Initially i would say no, but you could always pass it up the Chain of Command, maybe you'll get a sympathetic ear.....

heliodoc

OSHA AND MILITARY  Safety schools OUGHT to trump the CAP Safety program in every way.

The"safety culture" there has been more pronounced than the "new" all of sudden CAP Safety program that showed up with online tests and no residency required to occupy a classroom seat and go out actually practice the trade such as I did with the US Army Aviation Safety and Accident Prevention Program course.

But that is CAP.... wanting that military respect and wanting to emulate the Armed Services...

Military and OSHA and industry safety schools have QUITE a bit more meat on them than the current CAP Safety and ORM "safety protocol."

CAPers....go ahead and prove me wrong on this one other than " it does just for our purposes."  There ought to be ALOT more done in this realm of everyday rather than just CAP.  Yeah, Yeah, Yeah ...I know it's the economy....  but for all the chirping I have been hearing about our 475K aircraft.....there ought to be a  REAL Safety Course CAPers have to sit in on.  Aren't those real 475K aircraft?  Then there ought to a REAL CAP Safety Course or there ought to provisions be made in CAP for us folk who HAD or have to in REAL industry to have that truly certificated.

That ought to count for something in CAP....some of us had a REAL assignments as a Safety Officer or Safety NCO and in some cases, we had far more expensive aircraft assigned to us.

CAP can get with the real world and recognize us who have attended a real field safety school and not just some watered down online "safety course."  CAP could also start making a mandatory courses.  Accreditation means something in the work and military world....it ought to mean something a liiiitle more than awarding safety through online courses. 

Wing and NHQ CC's ought to recognize this already but I forgot all about that military emulation while wearing that CIVIL Air Patrol uni......

EMT-83

Some would also argue that a single week of training doesn't make one an instant safety expert.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 18, 2010, 10:33:59 PM
Some would also argue that a single week of training doesn't make one an instant safety expert.

Blasphemer!  All training outside CAP is automatically better than anything we offer!   ::)  (third eye-roll icon today)

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 18, 2010, 10:33:59 PM

I never said I was an expert. I just wanted to know if I could get credit for the course and apply it to a CAP safety certification?

heliodoc

ANYTHING outside of CAP that is already established is better and better put together, be honest with your CAP selves..I know I am and I have seen FAAAR better structured and actual hands on safety programs.   CAP just forgot to get all those involved....REALLY INVOLVED!!

I am sure it took lots-o-time to make safety online ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I would imagine CAP's safety program was put together in pretty much of a hurry rather than a than WELL THOUGHT out program that CAP SHOULD have been developing foe the last 30 - 40 years

SO how does CAP's "safety training" really stack up against others?  I mean , really now, they have had those number of years to improve and to watch it evolve "all of a sudden" sure indicates to me with all those G1000's floatin around....we were REACTIVE to the the safety culture(s) rather than proactive and reactive to all the cadet injuries rather than having a program well established.

In that regard, already established safety programs, are FARRRRR better than the new on scene safety program that was originated "on the fly" so to speak....

Am i speaking negatively about CAP's safety program?   NO, being a realist and having to do this in wildland fire and USAR ARNG aviation, I do have a leg to stand on regarding the CAP program.