Main Menu

Mike Rowe

Started by isuhawkeye, October 01, 2007, 02:01:17 AM

SJFedor

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 13, 2009, 01:56:48 AM
Quote from: NC Hokie on October 13, 2009, 01:55:17 AM
- mandatory vehicle safety inspections from a qualified, non-CAP source

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure that 98% of the states require an annual vehicle safety inspection from an authorized inspection station...

PA still does to my knowledge (or did when I lived there). However Tennessee does not (only emissions testing in certain counties w/ populations above a certain number) and Kentucky does not.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

JoeTomasone

Quote from: SJFedor on November 26, 2009, 10:25:49 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 13, 2009, 01:56:48 AM
Quote from: NC Hokie on October 13, 2009, 01:55:17 AM
- mandatory vehicle safety inspections from a qualified, non-CAP source

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure that 98% of the states require an annual vehicle safety inspection from an authorized inspection station...

PA still does to my knowledge (or did when I lived there). However Tennessee does not (only emissions testing in certain counties w/ populations above a certain number) and Kentucky does not.

New York does, Florida does not.

N Harmon

Quote from: isuhawkeye on November 26, 2009, 07:24:47 PM
If you read his comments and observations i believe he is pretty clear that his comments are based upon his personal experiences working several hundred jobs

So, his experience is working a new job every few days as part of a documentry television show. He never works them long enough for complacency to factor in. Nor does he work them while tired, and he usually under constant supervision from someone that will point our when he's doing something unsafe.

I never recall any of his television shows him complaining there was too much safety focus. Quite the opposite in fact.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Fubar

Quote from: N Harmon on November 27, 2009, 10:30:49 PMI never recall any of his television shows him complaining there was too much safety focus. Quite the opposite in fact.

I believe one just aired. He (gently) mocked a couple of the safety briefings he and his crew has endured (including video of one crew member falling asleep). There was also an Army Corps of Engineers safety guy who wouldn't let him touch a crane, thus wasting the entire trip.

RiverAux

Though he actually thanked that guy for being the only safety guy who wasn't afraid to say "no". 

Probably should have got the ok to do everything before showing up. 

Fubar

Quote from: RiverAux on November 28, 2009, 02:36:37 PM
Though he actually thanked that guy for being the only safety guy who wasn't afraid to say "no". 
This is true, although the apology came after he mocked the guy by asking if he was certified to look through binoculars, so I'm not entirely sure how sincere he was.

QuoteProbably should have got the ok to do everything before showing up.
Oh heck ya, especially on a job involving the government.

RogueLeader

He is doing a Safety show tonight, right now acttually.  It's titled "Safety third."  Pretty good.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

tdepp

I never recall any of his television shows him complaining there was too much safety focus. Quite the opposite in fact.

There was one show I recall when he was on some sort of salvage barge and wanted to operate the crane and the safety officer wouldn't let him.  Mike got kind of grumpy about it but also made it a running joke in the show.  I also notice that Mike Rowe won't do anything he feels is too dangerous. 

I think his comments that money is most important to companies is dead on.  However, because of legislation through the years, the study of accidents, better training, and awareness, workers are far safer now than they were in the not too distant past.  And ultimately, it is your butt on the line to pay attention and not take stupid chances.  And as an attorney, I can tell you first hand that work comp claims are not just a big hassle for the injured worker but can be a major expense for companies as well.  Safety does make economic sense to most companies.  But of course I'm not so naive to believe that some companies are more willing to take risks and allow their workers to take risks in pursuit of profits.

In our squadron, our safety officer is also a physician and a pilot with a wonderful sense of humor.  He finds funny photos and video clips to make points about safety and situational awareness.  I know safety briefings can be boring but with some creativity, they can be a highlight that people look forward to seeing each month. 
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

CadetProgramGuy

Thats one heck of a bump.....

I was googling Mike Roe and I happened onto a youtube video of him at a company party.  He also mentioned Safety Third.  The speech he gave was quite interesting.