Main Menu

eServices On-Line Safety Briefing

Started by Short Field, April 21, 2010, 07:23:55 PM

Short Field

Just took the new on-line safety briefing on e-Services.  I missed the question that says it is against CAP regs to hand prop an airplane.  I looked in 60-1 and could not find hand propping mentioned.   What is the cite for this?

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

a2capt

I do recall actually reading it.

... I suspect this may now be another one of those "you gotta know the material" to pass the test, or even "'fail' the test, to pass the test"

Chapter 2-1, item "j.   "Hand propped" starts are prohibited." on an older revision.

Prematurely pushed the [Post] ..

It's still in the current release, same section, now:

"2-1, e: Only CAP pilots may start, taxi, or otherwise operate CAP aircraft unless the aircraft is released for repairs (see paragraph 1-1). Hand propped starts are prohibited." Page 4 of the 15 page release, 5-Jan, 2009.

What I mean by the other statement is when the tests don't keep up with the regulations things get interesting. You need to study for the real world and study for the test. Both may not agree as the test may still be based on a prior revision of the applicable regulation.

Short Field

Thanks - I read the para but skipped the last part.....  :(
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

a2capt

Reminds me of a time, after a statewide SAREX, with four of us using a couple aircraft from the flying club I was part of at the time.

The others in a 182, had the start go out just before the RTB flight. I was en-route passing their location having originated from a location further north and when I got back to where we would have met, and no 182, I called and found out they were on US 101 instead of Victor 25/San Marcus VOR.

We had to go back and get that the next day. Hand propped just fine for me, using my totally paranoid method of physically confirming the P-lead grounding works and pull the prop through with three squirts of the throttle behind it, and then bringing it through to just before the compression stage, clear, contact, and once more.

vento

Just took a quick look at the eService online safety module. It actually allows Safety Officers to track safety briefing attendance and generate all sort of reports. Finally something easier to use as compared to the WMU.

My guess is that this thing will be tied to the OPS qualifications, and effectively raise the flag during activities (SAREX or actual mission) if a member has not attended the required safety briefings.

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: Short Field on April 21, 2010, 07:23:55 PM
Just took the new on-line safety briefing on e-Services.  I missed the question that says it is against CAP regs to hand prop an airplane.  I looked in 60-1 and could not find hand propping mentioned.   What is the cite for this?

It's also on one of the slides in the brief.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

andysum15

I am having a problem accessing the on-line Safety Briefing. When I click on the link my computer will not go to the briefing it tells me it's navigating away from the page. Has anyone else had this problem and or know of how to get around it.
Thanks
Maj. Andy Sumner

tdepp

Quote from: vento on April 22, 2010, 03:37:17 AM
Just took a quick look at the eService online safety module. It actually allows Safety Officers to track safety briefing attendance and generate all sort of reports. Finally something easier to use as compared to the WMU.

My guess is that this thing will be tied to the OPS qualifications, and effectively raise the flag during activities (SAREX or actual mission) if a member has not attended the required safety briefings.
Agreed.  Members can't say they don't have access to safety briefings now.  I think CAP does an excellent job with its online courses and testing and this is another example of using technology to assist with training. 
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

NC Hokie

Does anyone know if this briefing can be presented to a group for credit without each person having to then log on and take the test?  Giving a briefing to a group of cadets is a WHOLE lot easier than trying to herd them all through eServices and the somewhat confusing testing procedure found at the end of the on-line presentation.

What's confusing about it, you ask?  Only that the link on the last page that says "Complete the Intro to CAP Safety Program for New Members Test" takes you, instead, to the Safety Officer professional development tests.  Which contain much material NOT covered in this briefing, and which do NOT give you credit for completing it.

I know that you can ignore the link and click through the presentation to get to the "real" test.  My cadets, however, will have forgotten that nugget of information by the time they get home and try to do it.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

ßτε

Quote from: NC Hokie on April 23, 2010, 04:57:22 AM
Does anyone know if this briefing can be presented to a group for credit without each person having to then log on and take the test?  Giving a briefing to a group of cadets is a WHOLE lot easier than trying to herd them all through eServices and the somewhat confusing testing procedure found at the end of the on-line presentation.
I suppose you could present it as your unit monthly safety briefing and the safety officer would enter it into eServices using the CAP Safety Briefings module.

RADIOMAN015

The briefing presented doesn't match the requirements of the tests (which are at this time on line).  You would end up spending another hour or two studying all those regs just to past the test. 

Frankly, I don't think that this was the vision of anyone on the NB that voted for this.  This information should be simple and not require the typical member to be looking at any regulation or even to take a test to pass the test.  It also should have separate mission/operational training & general safety training.

Again I thought these monthly briefings were just going to be general in nature.  Why anyone has to take a test is again wasting more members valuable time.  Even the AF doesn't require its personnel to take monthly safety tests, only the information is presented to groups.

Am I missing something :o
RM

ßτε

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on April 23, 2010, 08:32:11 PM
The briefing presented doesn't match the requirements of the tests (which are at this time on line).  You would end up spending another hour or two studying all those regs just to past the test. 

Frankly, I don't think that this was the vision of anyone on the NB that voted for this.  This information should be simple and not require the typical member to be looking at any regulation or even to take a test to pass the test.  It also should have separate mission/operational training & general safety training.

Again I thought these monthly briefings were just going to be general in nature.  Why anyone has to take a test is again wasting more members valuable time.  Even the AF doesn't require its personnel to take monthly safety tests, only the information is presented to groups.

RM
You're taking the wrong test. Don't click on the link on the last slide. Access the quiz by continuing on in the presentation.

RiverAux

Yeah, the quiz for the presentation did match the content. 
Hopefully, they get a little more exciting than yet another description of the CAP safety program (haven't we already done that?).

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: RiverAux on April 23, 2010, 09:18:36 PM
Yeah, the quiz for the presentation did match the content. 
Hopefully, they get a little more exciting than yet another description of the CAP safety program (haven't we already done that?).
It wouldn't update the score as passed in the system after 3 tries with 3 different quizes.  I'm so safe now, but it isn't documented  :-\
RM

Cecil DP

Quote from: bte on April 23, 2010, 09:13:14 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on April 23, 2010, 08:32:11 PM

RM
You're taking the wrong test. Don't click on the link on the last slide. Access the quiz by continuing on in the presentation.

How do you continue on in the presentation? That link (which hooks into the Safety Officer Tests) is the last thing on the last slide.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

ßτε

Quote from: Cecil DP on April 23, 2010, 11:10:26 PM
How do you continue on in the presentation? That link (which hooks into the Safety Officer Tests) is the last thing on the last slide.
I don't remember how I did it, I just did.

NC Hokie

Quote from: Cecil DP on April 23, 2010, 11:10:26 PM
I can't get back into it to verify this, but I'm pretty sure that I just clicked the forward button on the player to advance to the "real" test.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Dracosbane

I hadn't noticed before tonight that in the E-services news the CAP Safety Reports dated 20 Apr has a rather interesting finish. 

As if someone had a really weird case of Tourettes.  Or I imagine it being said with jazz hands.    :o