I just got an interesting call...

Started by Stonewall, February 19, 2009, 12:47:27 AM

Stonewall

Out of no where, my CC calls me and asks if I want to command the squadron.  He's been CC for a year and I thought everything was kosher.

Not sure of the reason, and I'd love to do it but now is not the time.  2 small children, new job, lots of ANG activity and I'm not up to speed with FLWG's way of doing things just yet.

Maybe in a couple years.
Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

he saw my post about you needing a commander's badge on your pocket. 

Stonewall

I used to have one a few years ago. Now I just have the ribbon.
Serving since 1987.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Stonewall on February 19, 2009, 12:47:27 AM
Out of no where, my CC calls me and asks if I want to command the squadron.  He's been CC for a year and I thought everyone was kosher with him being in charge.

Not sure if it's personal or political.  Either way, I'd love to do it but now is not the time.  2 small children, new job, lots of ANG activity and I'm not up to speed with FLWG's way of doing things just yet.

Maybe in a couple years.

As a Squadron Commander of what is to be nearly three years (outgoing), I think rotating command is a good idea, but only with certain safeguards.   I allows for new blood.  I have seen far too many good CAP Officers "burn out" for commanding a unit for 4 to 5 years, basically alone (sometimes with no staff)

It should be pointed out the leaving command is not the same things as "leaving CAP." Ideally the outgoing Squadron Commander should be training a replacement in their deputy and then remain a Staff Officer after relinquishing command.

I believe that this is the goal of the Organizational Excellence program, to encourage leadership.

Will some people not "have what it takes?"  Possible, but with a good staff to support the commander and past commanders that can provide the resource of empathy for the current commander...they have a fighting chance.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

QuoteIt should be pointed out the leaving command is not the same things as "leaving CAP."
All too often that is the case.  If former commanders don't move up to group or wing staff, they tend to disappear in my experience.  I contrast that to my CG Aux unit which has a ton of former commanders still actively working hard.  I think the difference is that in CG Aux there are set terms for command and there is an election process for local unit officers.  In CAP commanders are at the whim of their bosses and all too often when that whim gets exercised the squadron commander quits over it. 

flyguy06

So, what happenes if nobody wants to take over the command? My Squadron CC's have served anywhere from 10 to 12 years each. Basically its hard to find someone to take it, so they stay in it. What do you do when you cant find a replacement?

Stonewall

I think there are plenty of people willing to take over.  If not, I would do it temporarily, but I really don't think people in these parts would like me as their commander.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 19, 2009, 12:54:40 AMAs a Squadron Commander of what is to be nearly three years (outgoing), I think rotating command is a good idea, but only with certain safeguards.   I allows for new blood.  I have seen far too many good CAP Officers "burn out" for commanding a unit for 4 to 5 years, basically alone (sometimes with no staff)

I agree, it is ideal to change CCs every 3 or so years.  The thing is, my CC has only been in this position for one year.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 19, 2009, 01:29:40 AM
So, what happenes if nobody wants to take over the command? My Squadron CC's have served anywhere from 10 to 12 years each. Basically its hard to find someone to take it, so they stay in it. What do you do when you cant find a replacement?

You have the potential to lose the charter and the members scatter to other units, go inactive, or leave CAP.

Generally I see this only in the very weak units, any really active unit usually has more than one type A who thinks they can hack it, whether they are right for the job is a different story.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

So, what happenes if nobody wants to take over the command? My Squadron CC's have served anywhere from 10 to 12 years each.
Exactly why it is hard to find a CAP commander -- they know that if they start they might not be able to leave easily.  They are basically taking on an open-ended committment.  If someone knows that they're only going to be in command for a relatively short period of time, they're more willing to take that on.   

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on February 19, 2009, 02:29:45 AM
So, what happenes if nobody wants to take over the command? My Squadron CC's have served anywhere from 10 to 12 years each.
Exactly why it is hard to find a CAP commander -- they know that if they start they might not be able to leave easily.  They are basically taking on an open-ended committment.  If someone knows that they're only going to be in command for a relatively short period of time, they're more willing to take that on.   

No commander should serve for that long.  It is not fair to that person. 

No man is a Squadron, nor should be force to be one.  People have to take "ownership" of their unit and fill the necessary roles.

Failure to do this means failure to insure "legacy."  When one guy runs the show and everyone just shows up to "fly" but disappear like the other bardyard animals at the call of the Little Red Hen for work...then there is no one to take over when the commander is smoking from burnout.

If you support your squadron commander as a staff officer, there is a good chance that one of those staffers will rise to the occasion because it is a team effort.  The unit works on the team concept where people can carry the load if the commander cannot.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

PHall

California Wing has a Wing Policy that Commanders will not serve any longer then four years, period!

Stonewall

Too late.  The person I knew would accept the job (he wanted it) took it.  He just called me to MC the change of command.
Serving since 1987.

LtCol057

I pretty much agree with a term of 3 to 4 years, but I've noticed that in my squadron's history, the position of commander pretty much changes every year or so. I think part of the problem is that in the past, some of the new "commanders" have been in CAP less than 2 years.   They haven't been familiar with CAP before they took the job. I blame that on the past group commanders.   Unless it's a brand new squadron, a commander should have at least 5 years recent experience in CAP.   And the commander has to have people that are willing to do the job if they're going to be on staff.   I don't believe in putting someone in a staff position just to fill the position.   

Gunner C

Having been a squadron and group CC, my personal preference would be for command to be two years.  I served four years straight (squadron and group commands consecutive).  The first was for one year - it was too short to get most of what needed done.  Group command was three years.  It was too long - I started to get burned out.  I'm thinking that two years is long enough to improve things and then move on, giving someone else a shot at getting shot.  :angel:  It was fun, but there needs to be an infusion of new blood.  Two years is also enough time to train your replacement.

FW

Quote from: Stonewall on February 19, 2009, 01:44:37 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on February 19, 2009, 12:54:40 AMAs a Squadron Commander of what is to be nearly three years (outgoing), I think rotating command is a good idea, but only with certain safeguards.   I allows for new blood.  I have seen far too many good CAP Officers "burn out" for commanding a unit for 4 to 5 years, basically alone (sometimes with no staff)

I agree, it is ideal to change CCs every 3 or so years.  The thing is, my CC has only been in this position for one year.

Be very careful.  Back in the day, my squadron/cc made an abrupt departure along with almost every other senior member in the unit.  I was left "holding the bag".  I ending up taking the position for a couple of years and ended up .....
At the time I had a new business, new baby and, a new mortgage payment.  Looking back, I wouldn't have changed a thing.  ;)

PlaneFlyr

Quote from: LtCol057 on February 19, 2009, 03:29:10 AM
I pretty much agree with a term of 3 to 4 years, but I've noticed that in my squadron's history, the position of commander pretty much changes every year or so. I think part of the problem is that in the past, some of the new "commanders" have been in CAP less than 2 years.  They haven't been familiar with CAP before they took the job. I blame that on the past group commanders.  Unless it's a brand new squadron, a commander should have at least 5 years recent experience in CAP.  And the commander has to have people that are willing to do the job if they're going to be on staff.   I don't believe in putting someone in a staff position just to fill the position.   

Sometimes the only ones ignorant/naive enough (sorry, but it's technically correct) to take command are the newbies.  The older folks who have been around for a long time know how much work command is and will intentionally avoid it.  So essentially, the group CC targets the member of the herd who doesn't know enough to run.   ;)

It takes a good year to implement your own policies into the unit and really make a difference.  But stagnation seems to occur in most commands after 3-5 years... at which point new blood often helps. 

One thing I always recommend during a command change is that the departing CC leave completely for at least a couple months.  It makes for a clean transition to the new CC.  Old CC can slowly ease back into the unit later and reintegrate as a regular member.  When the old CC is still around, it's tougher for the new CC to change the things they feel need changed.
Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

Flying Pig

I got targeted for sure! ;D  Young, handsome, in excellent physical shape with large biceps and a "V" shaped torso....  I agreed to be the face of the organization. ;D  Hold on, I think I need a couple more of these  ;D ;D ;D

Stonewall,

You have been a Sq. CC before so you know what you are getting into.  I think I am a good Commander, but only because I have some key staff members who do about 90% of the work!  I think the primary difference from the old commander vs. my style is I allow people to go with their motivations and ideas within reason.  BUT..If I didnt have the people I have now working for me, I dont think Id be able to do it with all of my other commitments. 

EMT-83

Quote from: PlaneFlyr on February 19, 2009, 05:13:32 PM
One thing I always recommend during a command change is that the departing CC leave completely for at least a couple months.  It makes for a clean transition to the new CC.  Old CC can slowly ease back into the unit later and reintegrate as a regular member.  When the old CC is still around, it's tougher for the new CC to change the things they feel need changed.
Have to agree completely. I stepped down after serving several years as the Captain in my volunteer fire company. I kept a real low profile for six months, to let the new guy make the changes he wanted. He knew that I was only a phone call away, if needed. I think that it made the transition easier for everyone.

ColonelJack

I have to agree wholeheartedly with the idea of a squadron commander serving no more than three years.  I was CC of our local unit from 1988 to 1994 (six years) and during the last year or so of that time, I kept a close eye on the group staff roster -- and as soon as something opened that I could do, I got myself transferred to group.  I had a good replacement trained, but he wasn't sure he was ready ... and until he was, he said he needed me to stick around.  (I think I was being suckered there for a while.)  That said, when I made the move to group, I felt as if the weight of the world was lifted off my shoulders!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia