USCG Auxiliary - Civil Air Patrol Liaison

Started by MIKE, June 14, 2008, 01:53:42 AM

MIKE

I don't think my district even has one.  I was looking at this years directory and it doesn't even list the position, and last years lists it as vacant.

Anyone have any idea of the types of qualifications might be involved both Auxie and CAP?  On the CAP side you would probably expect a Lt Col, not some smart-ass Capt and FSO like me.  Does it qualify as a DSO slot or something?
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Is there such a position anywhere in the CG Aux structure? 

I know CAP doesn't have anything specific like that.  However, liasion with local CG Aux units would be the duty of CAP squadron (and higher) commanders and their emergency services officers since they are the ones tasked with working with other agencies.  However, since CAP is based on a state structure and the CG Aux is not, it sort of makes it harder for CAP to do it since they may have to keep track of multiple CG Aux Divisions within their states.

PHall

I know in the past CAWG has had a CAP-CGAUX Liaison. Don't know if we currently have one.
Usually somebody who is a member of both organizations.

RRLE

There is a national level liaison between the two organizations. Below that it can be confusing. CAP is organized by states whereas the Aux is organized by CG districts or sub-districts. For example   CAP FL Wing would be split in the Aux between peninsular Florida in District 7 and the panhandle in District 08C. There are several states split between 2 Aux districts.

Also not every Aux district has an Aviation program so they might not have a liaison with CAP.

Below the Aux district, probably any coordination is unofficial and is done by a dual member.

If you are trying to find a specific Aux liaison to CAP, I would recommend going to the Aux Unit finder. Go to the district web page and look under district staff. The Aux/CAP Liaison if they exist at all would most likely report to the District Commodore (DCO) or Vice Commodore (VCO).

There are no minimum qualification on the Aux side for the liaison function. The choice is up to the National Commodore (NACO) or the District Commodore. They can appoint whoever they want.

mikeylikey

Is it necessary?  What does CAP and CGAUX do together in the first place.  My local CG AUX unit is river based, so I suppose it may be a little different than coastal based units??
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

search and rescue, perhaps? 

Plus, there is some benefit for the two military auxiliaries to know each other and to interact on occassion. 

ßτε

On June 21, CAWG is having a joint communications exercise with the USCGAux.

Duke Dillio

My squadron deputy commander is also the local Flotilla commander of the USCGA, I think.  I'm not 100% on that one.  I do know that he is some sort of unit commander though over there.

Major Carrales

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 14, 2008, 01:59:06 PM
Is it necessary?  What does CAP and CGAUX do together in the first place.  My local CG AUX unit is river based, so I suppose it may be a little different than coastal based units??

I have always considered the Auxies to be our Brother Aviators.  There should be no rivalries nor the like.  In fact, we should practice "good airmenship" with them, organize joint aviation training/safety meetings and offer community support to them when needed.  After all many CAP Officers hold membership in the USCGAux.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

mikeylikey

Quote from: RiverAux on June 14, 2008, 02:03:13 PM
search and rescue, perhaps? 

Plus, there is some benefit for the two military auxiliaries to know each other and to interact on occasion. 

I have never got a call for a search and rescue in the water.  I am land locked, so that may have something to do with it........

I have to ask.....I have been in CAP for over 12 years, in multiple wings, some with coasts, others with lakes and rivers, and never once saw a Coast Guard Aux member out on a search.  Even when a boater went missing it was a Coast Guard unit and CAP that did the searching.  Are there really that many "joint ops" going on?

I am a newb when it comes to the CG AUX (like not even read up on the organization, guess I should)
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

Like with CAP, but maybe a bit more so, CG Aux units vary quite a bit on their emphasis.  If there is one near you, it may or may not have an active boat patrol program -- it could be focusing more on boating safety education.  If there is an active CG small boat unit in your area, they probably do a lot more of the local SAR since they obviously have people on call and ready to go.  Or, there is always a possibility that there are Auxies down on that CG boat...

See, thats why its not a bad idea to have some relationships so that everyone knows the others capabilities and can see where they may be able to help each other. 

MIKE

My flotilla is big on RBS i.e. Vessel Examiner, Public Education and Program Visitor (I think that is what they call MDV now.  ???)... Other flotillas are big on Operations, particularly if they are closer to a station.

I just figured since I'm in both and my district doesn't appear to have one, I'd ask about the position.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Quote from: bte on June 14, 2008, 02:14:48 PM
On June 21, CAWG is having a joint communications exercise with the USCGAux.

CA Wing is also doing a joint SAR exercise today with CG and CG Aux: http://www.triplicate.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=9142

QuoteI just figured since I'm in both and my district doesn't appear to have one, I'd ask about the position.
I'd probably offer to be a liasion for your Division first and see how that goes.