Main Menu

New Squadron Website!

Started by Walkman, December 12, 2007, 06:26:22 PM

Walkman

I'm just showing off a bit  8)

Check out the new Cache Valley Comp. Sqdn. website here:
http://www.cachevalleysquadron.org/

This has been one of my priorities since I came in as PAO, and has taken a lot of work, and well, I'm proud of the results. There's still some content we're working on. We're starting to film some video testimonials tonight and our chaplains working on posts for his blog section. The calendar needs to be filled in in the next few weeks, too.

There's going to be a password protected section for squadron forums, downloads, resources and that kind of stuff. I'm also working on a photo gallery.

Eclipse

Nice job, I especially like the clouds and the way that the colors work with the unit insignia, which I think I have said before, is really sharp.

My advice would be to keep public commenting turned off and any forums restricted to your people.

What CMS did you use, or did you roll your own style sheets?

"That Others May Zoom"

pixelwonk

sweet design.
load time a bit on the long side from this end.

concur with above RE: comments and forums.  Heck, even my cadets go a little over the top sometimes in our forums.

nice work.

Walkman

Quote from: Eclipse on December 12, 2007, 06:33:14 PM
My advice would be to keep public commenting turned off and any forums restricted to your people.

Comments are only allowed on the Calendar, News & Members pages. I'm still working on tweaking the code a little to not show any comment footers on the pages that don't allow comments.

Quote from: Eclipse on December 12, 2007, 06:33:14 PM
What CMS did you use, or did you roll your own style sheets?

I used WordPress. I designed the site on my own (HTML & CSS) in DreamWeaver CS3, and had a programmer turn it into a WP template since I know nothing about php programming.

BTW, Dreamhost.com offers free hosting for life to non-profits with a generous features package. Lot's of goodies there.

Eclipse

Great tip on dreamhost, I'm looking into moving my stuff, and "free" is always hard to beat.

Even the basic package - 500 GB and 5Tb for $6 a month?

I can remember when 5>MB< was a big deal! And you were looking at $20 a month!

"That Others May Zoom"

LittleIronPilot

Ummmm...no webpage displaying!

PhoenixRisen

jimmydeanno

Kristian,

The page looks great!  I really like the color scheme and the intuitiveness of it - great job.

As has already been pointed out - load time is a little long here...

Keep up the great work!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

dwb

Ack!  U.S. Civil Air Patrol?

Otherwise, the site looks really nice.

Nitpick: "Cadet/CMSgt" is usually just abbreviated "C/CMSgt"

Pylon

Quote from: Walkman on December 12, 2007, 06:42:12 PM
BTW, Dreamhost.com offers free hosting for life to non-profits with a generous features package. Lot's of goodies there.

Except Dreamhosts' non-profit plan only allows for one free hosting account per 501(c)(3) and mentions nothing about provisions for chapters/subordinate units.  Since they need the CAP, Inc. IRS determination letter, it would appear at face value (unless they've indicated otherwise by email or phone) that they would only provide one hosting plan for Civil Air Patrol as a whole.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Walkman

Quote from: Pylon on December 12, 2007, 09:12:53 PM
Except Dreamhosts' non-profit plan only allows for one free hosting account per 501(c)(3) and mentions nothing about provisions for chapters/subordinate units.  Since they need the CAP, Inc. IRS determination letter, it would appear at face value (unless they've indicated otherwise by email or phone) that they would only provide one hosting plan for Civil Air Patrol as a whole.

I asked them about our squadron using NHQ's non-profit status to qualify, because the same thought crossed my mind when I was looking into it. They said no problem, so it seems that individual unit can go the same route.

Pylon

Quote from: Walkman on December 12, 2007, 09:22:39 PM
I asked them about our squadron using NHQ's non-profit status to qualify, because the same thought crossed my mind when I was looking into it. They said no problem, so it seems that individual unit can go the same route.

Cool.  Love the website by the way.  I echo the same comments above about turning off comments.  I also love to see photos of the key staff members - I think it helps put a personal touch to the site, but also is a nice visual aid for those contacting your squadron.  The staff page should have contact information for key staff members, including the commander and public affairs officer.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

♠SARKID♠

Flashy!  I like the squadron patch too.

mikeylikey

In your history section, perhaps some local history.  SQD did this in '85, we have had 133 cadets go to the Academies....etc. 

Cool site though.  Thanks for some ideas!
What's up monkeys?

thp

That site is absolutely magnificent.
I'll give it an A++

thp

One minor detail: It says "US Civil Air Patrol"

DrDave

Good looking site.  Only one comment:

Sergeant mispelled under "Staff" listing, i.e:

Cadet/MSgt Chase Hicken
Cadet First Sargent

Dr. Dave