Main Menu

Signature Block Question

Started by Violan, April 23, 2013, 06:12:07 PM

Violan

How do I add that I am a flight sergeant to my email signature? As there are several flights in my squadron, do I need to name the flight? How does this look:

FIRST M. LAST, C/MSgt, CAP
Bravo Flight Sergeant
Name of Squadron

lordmonar

Basic USAF signture block

FIRST LAST, Rank, Services
Title.

So.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, MSgt, CAP
First Sergeant.

No squadorn name.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I think the basic USAF signature block assumes the letterhead would identify the unit.

CAPR 10-1 has this example for e-mail w/out header.

Arthur L. Seeber, Capt, CAP
Staff Officer, SWR-TX-442

It also states a preference for 2 line signature blocks but allows 3 if you can't do it in 2.

Put it all together and your example seems to pass muster.

You could also go with

Bravo Flight Sergeant, REG-ST-###

Storm Chaser

Quote from: lordmonar on April 23, 2013, 06:19:20 PM
Basic USAF signture block

FIRST LAST, Rank, Services
Title.

So.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, MSgt, CAP
First Sergeant.

No squadorn name.

That's only true when writing a letter or memorandum where the name of the squadron is in the header.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: phirons on April 23, 2013, 06:47:54 PM
I think the basic USAF signature block assumes the letterhead would identify the unit.

CAPR 10-1 has this example for e-mail w/out header.

Arthur L. Seeber, Capt, CAP
Staff Officer, SWR-TX-442

It also states a preference for 2 line signature blocks but allows 3 if you can't do it in 2.

Put it all together and your example seems to pass muster.

You could also go with

Bravo Flight Sergeant, REG-ST-###

While the example presented in CAPR 10-1 displays the region (i.e. SWR-TX-442), it is also acceptable to use only wing and squadron number for correspondence within your own wing and region (i.e. TX-442 or TX442).

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Can I go really old school and use 38001?

Most members would think I'm a van if I did.

Cap'n

I generally use this is my signature block:

First Name Last Name, C/CMSgt, CAP
Position
Squadron Name
(###)###-####
Email

The people in my squadron, and those in our area typically have something similar, but it's really up to you. I would also say "Bravo Flight Sergeant" as opposed to just "Flight Sergeant."

XxJake114xX

Does it really matter what way you put it in? I mean just as long as you get the important stuff isnt it okay? Ex: position in CAP, squadron number etc. If it does matter how you do it, can someone tell me if mine is okay?Also, is there a certain way that you have to set it up in a letter?

a2capt

The important thing is to use the proper name of the organization, and not to present it in such a way as to mislead.

While you are a member of Civil Air Patrol, and Civil Air Patrol is the US Air Force Auxiliary, there are people who put US Air Force Auxiliary first., and even so much as leave off Civil Air Patrol.

Private Investigator

Quote from: a2capt on May 05, 2013, 04:12:50 AM
The important thing is to use the proper name of the organization, and not to present it in such a way as to mislead.

While you are a member of Civil Air Patrol, and Civil Air Patrol is the US Air Force Auxiliary, there are people who put US Air Force Auxiliary first., and even so much as leave off Civil Air Patrol.

Correct 100%

I have seen some signature blocks that were so impressive, I had to stand at attention, take a step back and salute it   8)

Woodsy

1 or 2 line preferred, 3 if needed...  When necessary, adapt and overcome!  As a wing Director of Public Affairs, I probably go farther than most, but here's mine...

V/R,

//SIGNED//

MY NAME, my rank, CAP
Director of Marketing & Public Affairs
HEADQUARTERS: My Wing, Civil Air Patrol
United States Air Force Auxiliary
(xxx) xxx-xxxx
myemail@mywing.gov
www.wingwebsite.gov
www.facebook.com/Mywing
Twitter: @MyWing

UNCLASSIFIED / / FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY Information contained in this document is designated by the Department of Defense (DoD) as For Official Use Only (FOUO) and may not be released to anyone without the prior permission of NHQ CAP and/or CAP-USAF.

Civil Air Patrol, the official auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force, is a nonprofit organization with 61,000 members nationwide, operating a fleet of 550 aircraft. CAP, in its Air Force auxiliary role, performs 90 percent of continental U.S. inland search and rescue missions as tasked by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center and is credited by the AFRCC with saving an average of 80 lives annually. Its volunteers also perform homeland security, disaster relief and drug interdiction missions at the request of federal, state and local agencies. The members play a leading role in aerospace education and serve as mentors to more than 26,000 young people currently participating in the CAP cadet programs. CAP received the World Peace Prize in 2011 and has been performing missions for America for 71 years. CAP also participates in Wreaths Across America, an initiative to remember, honor and teach about the sacrifices of U.S. military veterans. Visit www.gocivilairpatrol.com or www.capvolunteernow.com for more information.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Woodsy on May 05, 2013, 05:47:38 PM
V/R,

Nothing against you, but I hate this.  I know it's a cultural thing.  Most people, outside of the AF/DoD have no idea what "v/r" means.  On top of that, how respectful is it, when in an automated signature block that you don't even have to type you can't spell out "Very Respectfully"?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

jimmydeanno

anyway, this is how I've done my signature block:

Regards,

JAMES E. DOE, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
Anytown Civil Air Patrol

555.867.5309 | www.anytownCAP.org

The website has the facebook links and twitter links.  They have my e-mail address because I sent them an e-mail.  Anyone who prints the e-mail will get it from the header that prints.  So, I don't include it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

a2capt

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 05, 2013, 05:52:14 PM..when in an automated signature block that you don't even have to type you can't spell out "Very Respectfully"?
Especially with that book following it, what's a few more characters? ;)

Those disclaimers are a freaking joke anyway. :) Put it before the text. "what you are about to read..  if you are not the intended recipient .. " blah blah, and I'll probably still post the thing on pastebin if it came unsolicited. ;-)

Eclipse

Lose the disclaimer and the press release at the bottom.

The disclaimer is both meaningless and humorous, and the press release is clutter no one will ever read except to having to wade
through it in long conversations.

Pithy quotes from your favorite leader, images, logos, stylized text and, StoVoKor help us, emoticons should also be avoided.

Nothing says "professional" like a broken link or a ton of unreadable text because it's in a font only you have.

Those who use an email service that includes ads in the messages should receive the Atomic Wedgie Lifetime Achievement Award.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

Quote from: Eclipse on May 05, 2013, 06:00:20 PM
Lose the disclaimer and the press release at the bottom.

The disclaimer is both meaningless and humorous, and the press release is clutter no one will ever read except to having to wade
through it in long conversations.

Pithy quotes from your favorite leader, images, logos, stylized text and, StoVoKor help us, emoticons should also be avoided.

Nothing says "professional" like a broken link or a ton of unreadable text because it's in a font only you have.

Those who use an email service that includes ads in the messages should receive the Atomic Wedgie Lifetime Achievement Award.

A large amount of my communications are external, both as a PAO and for most of my Ops taskings, so I find the boilerplate is helpful with media and external agencies.  Many times I've been answering questions and a reporter will start off with "I saw in your email that CAP has/does...."

The disclaimer is pretty common on government agency emails, so when dealing with EMA's or other ES providers, they don't think twice about it.  When forwarding and replying, I trim it up so there's not more than one copy. 

Couldn't agree with you more about the ads on the bottom.  I am a HUGE proponent of using an official CAP email address.  My wing offers one to every member, and many wings have a similar offering, but unfortunately it seems only a small percentage of members use them.  When dealing with outside agencies in ES, it looks pretty unprofessional to be sending mission documents back and forth using an @hotmail.com address. 

We try to present ourselves as Volunteer Professionals, and an email address is a simple item that can really help (or really hurt) our image. 

Nuke52

UNCLASSIFIED / / FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY Information contained in this document is designated by the Department of Defense (DoD) as For Official Use Only (FOUO) and may not be released to anyone without the prior permission of NHQ CAP and/or CAP-USAF.

Okay, silly question here:  so, as the PA, how much info are you sending to the media/public/etc. that has actually been "designated FOUO by the DoD"?  And why?  And if it's not releasable to the public, isn't that, umm, somewhat counterintuitive--if not counter-productive--to the whole point of "public affairs"? 

Including that superfluous (and probably 99.5% never true) disclaimer just seems a bit like the type of stereotypical CAP peacockery that gets us mocked as "wannabes."

Just sayin'...
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Woodsy

Quote from: Nuke52 on May 05, 2013, 06:37:12 PM

Okay, silly question here:  so, as the PA, how much info are you sending to the media/public/etc. that has actually been "designated FOUO by the DoD"?  And why?  And if it's not releasable to the public, isn't that, umm, somewhat counterintuitive--if not counter-productive--to the whole point of "public affairs"? 

As a PAO, not much.  As a PIO/LO, most. 

Mustang

Pretty sure very little of anything you're handling has been designated FOUO by DOD.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Pylon

I don't think you understand FOUO.  You, as CAP Member Woodsy, can't just personally say "I think this information is important, so I will just start calling it FOUO and tell people that the DoD says so."

That's not how FOUO works.  Just because information is sensitive doesn't make it FOUO.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP