3 to 5 minute CAP video for open house night

Started by Stonewall, March 19, 2013, 01:32:22 PM

Stonewall

I was just on the CAP Channel and saw a few videos and although it said "download" video, I was unable to save it for use later.  Seems as though I have to be online to view it.  I'm not so unsavvy with a computer that I shouldn't be able to figure it out, but I couldn't figure it out.

So, we're having an open house in May (yes, I'm planning ahead) and I always like to start off with a short video, no more than 5 minutes.  What's the best video out there that shows a modern CAP performing all 3 missions and how do I get it?

We do have wifi at the squadron building so I can just go to YouTube, so what's out there that isn't cheesey and will show is in a positive light?
Serving since 1987.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Assuming you are using Internet Explorer. Right click and choose Save Target As...

Stonewall

Thanks, Phil.  I was actually right clicking but kept focusing on Save Picture As...

I think the "CAP Multipurpose video" is good, but wouldn't mind something a little more action packed with cadets.

I'll use this one if I can't find another.
Serving since 1987.

High Speed Low Drag

Here - check this one out.
CAP Missions Update

**** This is NOT an official CAP video - just one that I "made" (moshed, blended, whatever).  I only provided a few of the pics, most were taken from offical CAP sources and credit for those pics go to the indviduals, not to me. ******

I made this one becuase there wasn't one put out by NHQ that I felt fit the need of a "Intro to CAP" and the old "Missions for America" had a great soundtrack but needed to be updated.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

Devil Doc

^^^ one of the coolest Videos I have seen in awhile
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Stonewall

Garrick!  Awesome video, brother.  It just went on my Facebook page so the 95 out of 100 "friends" I have that aren't aware of what CAP is can now get the 3:00 minute briefing.  We'll likely use this one at our open house.

I wish I had the skills to make a good 3 to 5 minute video that focused on the badassery of the cadet program.  Nothing like cadets building marshmallow space ships, or putting together kitten puzzles for a "leadership exercise", but the things that cadets really want to do, like fly, carry rucks, launch rockets that break the sound barrier, and rappel off of mountains.
Serving since 1987.

WithHonor

This is a fantastic video! I've been looking for something like this for years! Is it available in a higher resolution?

JoeTomasone

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on March 20, 2013, 10:28:54 PM
Here - check this one out.
CAP Missions Update

**** This is NOT an official CAP video - just one that I "made" (moshed, blended, whatever).  I only provided a few of the pics, most were taken from offical CAP sources and credit for those pics go to the indviduals, not to me. ******

I made this one becuase there wasn't one put out by NHQ that I felt fit the need of a "Intro to CAP" and the old "Missions for America" had a great soundtrack but needed to be updated.

Nice job!

If you are open to constructive criticisms, I have a few.

High Speed Low Drag

Always open to suggestions.  However, jsut so you know - here were my paramenters when making the video:
1) Use as much available -at-the-time in-house CAP material (but not use stuff from my squadron)
2) Not step on anyyone's (NHQ or other members) shoes - not use copyrighted material.
3) Time limit of less than 5 minutes
4) Be able to produce using CyberDirector software on laptop.
Having said that, feel free to critque.  I still have the master file, so I can make changes
G. St. Pierre                             

JoeTomasone

1. The LaGuardia sequence is good, but if you don't live in NY (or have flown into LaGuardia Airport), you have no idea who he is.   The text (that would explain it) is pretty small.   You could pull that and save some time for....

2.  Some of the clips that follow are so short that the captions vanish before they can be read - especially "Cap bombing a German submarine off U.S. Coast".   Perhaps they can be lengthened somehow?

3. "Since the events of September 11th" section infers that CAP wasn't prepared between WWII and 9/11.   

4. The pictures starting with "CAP at Coast Guard's Command Center during Deepwater Horizon oil spill" are very short.  I'm a speed reader, and could barely read the captions before they were gone.

5. "CAP Cadet assisting" isn't assisting; he's standing around.  Find a pic of him doing something. 

6. After this, you talk about 9/11 again.  Why not do it in place of #3 above? 

7. Around 2:30 you discuss CAP's missions, suggest this be the first part of the video.

8. At 2:45: "CAP is prepared once again to.." again implies that it's a recent development after a period of NOT being prepared.

I don't mean to be nit-picky, but these were my observations.

Respectfully, Joe

High Speed Low Drag

I can pull the LaGuardia sequence and lengthen out the other stuff so the captions can be read.

The Deepwater Horizon Command and others, I'll see what I can do while keeping up with the soundtrack. The picture of the CAP cadet assisting Coast Guard came from VolunteerNOW, so I went with their caption.

The other stuff is unable to be changed due to the soundtrack is actually from CAP's "Missions for America" video, made in the mid 2000s. The only thing I did to that was cut out the segment about the 2006 Winter Olympics part. But with the soundtrack containing music, I don't have the ability to change around the timing of the soundtrack or re-arrange it. I've got to stick to the soundtrack's pacing and order.
[font=]I was on the fence about the LaGuardia piece, so it's no surprise. Thanks for the suggestions. I just wish CAP would put together another "Missions for America" updated. Then my amateur stuff could disappear.[/size][/font]
G. St. Pierre                             

MajorPayne

Hello Sir,

Here is one that I found on youtube a while back. It seems to do a good job of showing all three areas. Hope this helps and good luck at your open house! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weo41Wtx8yg#
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go, if he doesnt mind who gets the credit."
Ronald Reagan

C/CMSgt Payne
Charlie Flight Commander
Group 7 CAC represenative

Stonewall

^^That one is PERFECT, the exact content and length that I was looking for, but he quality...I can't show that to guests on a 32" flat screen, they'd barely be able to make out what I'm showing.

A video like that needs to be done professionally.  THAT is what we need.
Serving since 1987.

JoeTomasone

The quality looks great to me.  You might have seen the "low bandwidth" version.  Perhaps you might be able to get the original.

NIN

Quote from: JoeTomasone on March 22, 2013, 08:05:08 PM
The quality looks great to me.  You might have seen the "low bandwidth" version.  Perhaps you might be able to get the original.

I think I have access to the original....
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Woodsy

Stonewall,

I have several of the videos on CAP channel and other official stuff saved, I'll bring them to you on a thumb drive Thursday. 

Stonewall

Quote from: Woodsy on March 26, 2013, 04:09:41 PM
Stonewall,

I have several of the videos on CAP channel and other official stuff saved, I'll bring them to you on a thumb drive Thursday.

I figured it out and saved them.

Thanks.
Serving since 1987.