Main Menu

ABU Wear Test

Started by winterg, December 11, 2015, 05:44:27 PM

Storm Chaser

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 13, 2016, 01:25:25 AM
There is nothing wrong with black boots for the ABU for our purposes.

No, but there's also no need for the ABUs. Why not replace woodland BDUs with the corporate blue BDU, a uniform that EVERYONE can wear?

abdsp51

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 13, 2016, 02:26:44 AM

No, but there's also no need for the ABUs. Why not replace woodland BDUs with the corporate blue BDU, a uniform that EVERYONE can wear?

Right now not everyone can wear BBDU. 

Storm Chaser

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 13, 2016, 02:37:48 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 13, 2016, 02:26:44 AM

Right now not everyone can wear BBDU.

Correct. I meant to say a uniform that everyone COULD wear, if approved.

To be fair, I don't have anything against ABUs. And while I prefer the sage green boots, I'm sure I'll eventually get used to the black boots. What I can't get used to is the fact that we have a uniform (the woodland BDU and eventually the ABU) that not every member can wear. That COULD be corrected by making the corporate blue BDU the utility/field uniform for ALL members.

LSThiker

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 13, 2016, 03:53:26 AM
That COULD be corrected by making the corporate blue BDU the utility/field uniform for ALL members.

While not the greatest situation as there would still be technically two uniforms, but at least make the corporate BDUs required for all senior members with cadets wearing the BDUs/ABUs.  It is an easy to define line to outsiders that the adult members/leaders wear the blue uniform while the cadets wear the ABUs.  YMMV.

Luis R. Ramos

With the exception of the black tee, to me both photos look identical.

:D

Maybe I need new glasses?

:-\

...But I don't think that is the reason!

???
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Hyperion

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on March 13, 2016, 05:23:35 AM
With the exception of the black tee, to me both photos look identical.

:D

Maybe I need new glasses?

:-\

...But I don't think that is the reason!

???

Here's a closer look: https://i.imgur.com/HOJ7CUt.jpg

I changed the tee and all the patches to black. The patches are now black with white lettering. It gives the uniform a more balanced look while also saving money (no need for the sage tees) and helping distinguish us from at a distance even more. It may be difficult to see the difference between the patches because the navy blue is pretty dark already. Hope that clarifies things!
To serve in silence.

Shuman 14

I've avoided throwing my 2 cents in... until now.

I always liked ultramarine blue, it has, over time, become the "branch" color of CAP. I'd like to see the rank, badge and tape colors stay ultramarine blue. For tradition sake if nothing else.

As to boots, maybe authorize all three colors: tan, blue/green and black. That way, regardless of what you already possess can be worn and save the member money.

Same with t-shirts: green, tan or black to save money or, call me crazy, authorize a ultramarine blue t-shirt to match the tapes and such.

Clearly distinctive and low-light identifiable.

That or just put everyone into BBDUs, or, as someone suggested a few years ago, if you want a "more military and less SWAT team" look adopt a solid olive drab green uniform with ultramarine blue rank and tapes and full color patches.

Someone had posted that idea a few years back with a picture of a solid green ACU cut/style uniform with the ultramarine trappings attached. I went looking for the thread here but couldn't find it. I thought it looked pretty sharp and professional and clearly no confusion between USAF and CAP.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Garibaldi

Quote from: shuman14 on March 13, 2016, 12:50:24 PM
I've avoided throwing my 2 cents in... until now.

I always liked ultramarine blue, it has, over time, become the "branch" color of CAP. I'd like to see the rank, badge and tape colors stay ultramarine blue. For tradition sake if nothing else.

As to boots, maybe authorize all three colors: tan, blue/green and black. That way, regardless of what you already possess can be worn and save the member money.

Same with t-shirts: green, tan or black to save money or, call me crazy, authorize a ultramarine blue t-shirt to match the tapes and such.

Clearly distinctive and low-light identifiable.

That or just put everyone into BBDUs, or, as someone suggested a few years ago, if you want a "more military and less SWAT team" look adopt a solid olive drab green uniform with ultramarine blue rank and tapes and full color patches.

Someone had posted that idea a few years back with a picture of a solid green ACU cut/style uniform with the ultramarine trappings attached. I went looking for the thread here but couldn't find it. I thought it looked pretty sharp and professional and clearly no confusion between USAF and CAP.

Says the man with no dog in this fight, as regards patrons and uniforms.

Seriously, though, closer identity to Ma Blue to me says everything except insignia matches. The state defense forces have a closer identity to the NG, except for the lettering on the tapes and the red name tags for their dress uniforms. Everything else, excluding ribbons, is pretty much identical. Why can't we have the same kind of thing? There's no low-light identifiability there. Everything is ACU, including boots, but the caveat is that they HAVE TO conform to H/W or they're out. Something we can't enforce, apparently. There's no "corporate" uniform available.

Yeah, yeah, I understand it's comparing apples to tanks, but you get my drift.

It's quite possible that Ma Blue will say "You know what, we want you in sage boots, here's a few thousand of them in various sizes. We also uncovered a few conex containers of smaller sizes we were going to give our Korean allies (hey, Asians are typically smaller than Caucasians. Ask my Japanese 4'10 mother) for your cadets. Also, the insignia looks horrible. Stay with the ABU material."

It's also possible they'll say no way, go pound sand.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

-_adrian_-

Quote from: Hyperion on March 12, 2016, 10:13:29 PM
The reason people dislike the new ABU design is because it's unsymmetrical. We have a sharp contrast between the black boots and the rest of the uniform, and then we have the ugly navy blue patches. I redesigned the uniform via some quick (horrible) editing and changed the colors to be more symmetrical.

(closer look: https://i.imgur.com/HOJ7CUt.jpg)

On the left is the current design: Black boots, green shirt, navy blue tapes.

On the right is the redesign: Black boots, black shirts, and black tapes. The black shirts will also save our members money since everyone has them for BDUs and they're also used for BBDUs too.This allows us to look even more distinctive while also not looking so ugly. Thoughts?
Or if we to just change the color of the boots to sage green it would be much more symmetrical.

PHall

Quote from: -_adrian_- on March 13, 2016, 06:48:03 PM
The reason people dislike the new ABU design is because it's unsymmetrical. We have a sharp contrast between the black boots and the rest of the uniform, and then we have the ugly navy blue patches. I redesigned the uniform via some quick (horrible) editing and changed the colors to be more symmetrical.

On the right is the redesign: Black boots, black shirts, and black tapes. The black shirts will also save our members money since everyone has them for BDUs and they're also used for BBDUs too.This allows us to look even more distinctive while also not looking so ugly. Thoughts?
Or if we to just change the color of the boots to sage green it would be much more symmetrical.

I guess you just don't get it. The time for changes is over. The package is now up at Headquarters Air Force for their approval/disapproval.

billford1

I think the uniform in the picture looks just fine with the black boots which help the uniform look more distinctive. I hope the AF pulls the trigger.

-_adrian_-

Quote from: PHall on March 13, 2016, 07:31:13 PM

I guess you just don't get it. The time for changes is over. The package is now up at Headquarters Air Force for their approval/disapproval.
The Air Force could also have the package changed from black to sage green before they aprove it.
Quote from: PHall on March 13, 2016, 07:31:13 PM

Garibaldi

Whichever way they go, it's all a waiting game now.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Майор Хаткевич

I thought we were keeping black shirts too?

foo

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 13, 2016, 08:25:37 PM
I thought we were keeping black shirts too?

That was not one of the two "distinguishing modifications" listed for the ABU.

Quote from: A Message from the Chairman of the CAP National Uniform Committee to Fellow members of the Civil Air Patrol
The National Uniform Committee, in coordination with CAP-USAF recommended that CAP ask for Air Force approval to wear the ABU with the following distinguishing modifications:

1.  Name and CAP tapes, aviation and specialty badges would be on a Navy Blue background with silver thread. These colors would be the same as currently in use on the NCO stripes. The NUC examined the possibility of using the ABU tapes. Because our adult members wear the same grade insignia as Air Force Officers, use of the ABU tapes was not considered to be distinguishable in accordance to the AFI. AFJROTC and AFROTC wear the ABU tapes, but they do not wear officer grade insignia. Wing, Unit, and Activity patches would be optional under the proposal.

2.  Black boots. There were many factors in our recommendation to retain the black boots. The first was cost to the membership. Many members already own black boots. Also, black boots are still available at reasonable prices commercially. The green boots cost over $100. Another consideration was asking members to buy a second pair of boots if they chose to wear other uniform combinations. The corporate (blue) uniform has black boots, as do the flight duty uniforms.  The final reason was the black boots provide a further distinguishing factor to the uniform.

etodd

Please excuse my sidetrack for a moment long enough to ask a quick question. In all these discussions of uniforms, is there any talk of changing the corporate uniform (black shoes, gray pants and 3 button shirt)?  Its the only uniform I own and what I wear as a pilot. I happy with it.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Paul Creed III

Quote from: etodd on March 14, 2016, 12:32:09 AM
Please excuse my sidetrack for a moment long enough to ask a quick question. In all these discussions of uniforms, is there any talk of changing the corporate uniform (black shoes, gray pants and 3 button shirt)?  Its the only uniform I own and what I wear as a pilot. I happy with it.

There has been discussions here on CAPTalk about headgear for this uniform but nothing at NUC level, as far as I have heard.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

etodd

Quote from: Paul Creed III on March 14, 2016, 12:34:11 AM

There has been discussions here on CAPTalk about headgear for this uniform but nothing at NUC level, as far as I have heard.

Thanks!  My Zulu.2 is enough headgear. :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Full time cadet

Why black boots....

If you can't wear the uniform properly just like the ones that worn it before us, don't bother wearing it.

and why silver on dark blue nametapes

The white on blue nametapes holds our heritage for many years, it is also a big factor of distinguishing us as CAP.

abdsp51

Then you are not in compliance with 39-1.