Main Menu

ABU Wear Test

Started by winterg, December 11, 2015, 05:44:27 PM

Garibaldi

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on March 10, 2016, 10:39:52 PM
STILL does not say anything!

Mentions lots of shows he worked. But no details.

He was the announcer for Saturday Night Live for many years, as well as being the "voice" for many game shows. He had a very distinct delivery and a voice you can't forget. He even appeared in a Weird Al video, " I Lost on Jeopardy".
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

-_adrian_-

Does anyone else think that wearing the black boots looks terrible.

-_adrian_-

I feel that we should use the sage green boots. The black just looks bad with ABU'S. I know many cadets who have trouble shinning their boots or they just can't keep them shiny. I feel that if we used the sage green boots it would look so much better and make everyone's life a little bit better.

PHall

You do know that the Green Boots are $100 plus a pair, right?

vorteks

Quote from: -_adrian_- on March 11, 2016, 07:49:16 PM
I feel that we should use the sage green boots. The black just looks bad with ABU'S. I know many cadets who have trouble shinning their boots or they just can't keep them shiny. I feel that if we used the sage green boots it would look so much better and make everyone's life a little bit better.

That just means they need to try harder.

-_adrian_-

I figured I would probably get a response like this but it would also save money on shoe shining products. It would also be easier to clean the mud and junk off of them quickly.

-_adrian_-

Quote from: PHall on March 11, 2016, 07:50:26 PM
You do know that the Green Boots are $100 plus a pair, right?
Yeah so are a decent pair of black boots. I used to buy the cheaper black boots and all of them fell apart. The only ones that held up somewhat were a pair of 5.11 boots. Almost all of them hurt my feet and we're heavy and bulky so I decided to go buy a pair of Nike SFB's and have never looked back. I have no problem spend another 160 on another pair of them in sage green. I understand that others would be more reluctant but 100 dollars on a good pair of boots that protect your feet and keep them comfy dosent seam to far out of the question.(which are a vary important asset to yourself)

NIN

The uniform (thus far) is what it is.

Who knows: maybe the Air Staff will get the request and look at it and say "Uh, no.  You guys should have the same nametapes and boots" or something like that.

(note: I said "Maybe."  I have zero knowledge of the inner-workings of HAF and the Air Staff when it comes to this kind of thing)

Remember,  we wore ultramarine blue nametags when the Air Force did.  The AF went to dark blue on OD tapes in the 1970s, and we didn't follow suit.

So there is precedence for our uniform wear to be exactly that of the Air Force.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

winterg

We should wear blue suede boots to match our name tapes. 

RogueLeader

Quote from: -_adrian_- on March 11, 2016, 07:58:15 PM
I figured I would probably get a response like this but it would also save money on shoe shining products. It would also be easier to clean the mud and junk off of them quickly.

As one that has had both Black shiny boots and non-shiny boots (Army tan boots)  It is easier to fix a cleaning issue with black boots than it is with suede boots.  Trust me, I still have tan boots that are still somewhat red from red clay.  I've had clack boots that you can't tell where they've been.  The polish actually makes it easier to clean than suede- as there are tons of places for dirt mud, etc to hand on.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Garibaldi

Quote from: winterg on March 11, 2016, 08:06:06 PM
We should wear blue suede boots to match our name tapes.

And our CAP song could be by Elvis.

Garibaldi

Quote from: NIN on March 11, 2016, 08:05:13 PM
The uniform (thus far) is what it is.

Who knows: maybe the Air Staff will get the request and look at it and say "Uh, no.  You guys should have the same nametapes and boots" or something like that.

(note: I said "Maybe."  I have zero knowledge of the inner-workings of HAF and the Air Staff when it comes to this kind of thing)

Remember,  we wore ultramarine blue nametags when the Air Force did.  The AF went to dark blue on OD tapes in the 1970s, and we didn't follow suit.

So there is precedence for our uniform wear to be exactly that of the Air Force.

Is is CAP or USAF that wants us to have low-light identifiability?

-_adrian_-

I have had both too. When I was in JROTC I was on a Raider team and I got my tan boots all kinds of nasty and I have used the same boots in black and the tan suede leather Nike SFB's and every single time the tan ones were so much faster to clean. Even the standard issue boots are so much easier to clean.

stillamarine

I think I'm the only person in the world that don't care about black/sage boots.

Seriously how hard is it to put polish on and buff it off. A spit shine is not required. I swear the invention of corframs and suede boots is the military version of wimpification. I had a fellow Marine in my academy class and I had to teach him how to shine his boots!!!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

lordmonar

Quote from: stillamarine on March 11, 2016, 09:14:05 PM
I think I'm the only person in the world that don't care about black/sage boots.

Seriously how hard is it to put polish on and buff it off. A spit shine is not required. I swear the invention of corframs and suede boots is the military version of wimpification. I had a fellow Marine in my academy class and I had to teach him how to shine his boots!!!
You are not the only one.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Spam

I'm with you too.

Rather than appearance and cool factor, the availability and cost per new member is far more important to me than the boot, speaking as a line commander. I care more about the cost to my cadets who are mowing lawns and sweating at minimum wage to afford their boots than blithely saying, "well, you should just buy a quality boot, and spend another 160 on a GOOD boot". The majority of our people won't use their boots more than a couple hours a week on average, nor do more than small percentage of our members extensively use them in field work (I base that on 30+ years as an active GTM/L/GBD in five Wings in three Regions with five command tours now).

If we could get issue rough side out boots cheap (like via the uniform vouchers), great. If black cheap, great. On polishing, I have MANY other ways to effectively teach the importance of being detail oriented to new cadets and officers.

V/R
Spam

RogueLeader

Quote from: stillamarine on March 11, 2016, 09:14:05 PM

No issue for me either.  I just bought a pair of Coyote brown boots, and in just the course of regular wear of about 4 months, they would not be wearable in uniform.  I have a pair of Black boots for about 4 years that, while don't get quite the same level of use, are still completely serviceable.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

Quote from: NIN on March 11, 2016, 09:36:24 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on March 11, 2016, 08:12:55 PM

You tell me.

Here, look in here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/subtitle-D
or even here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/subtitle-D/part-III/chapter-909

No? Hmmm
Quote from: AFI 10-27011.3.4. CAP  Distinctive  Uniforms  and  Insignia.
The  emblems,  insignia,  and  badges  of  the CAP  Air  Force-style  uniform  will  clearly  identify  an  individual  as  a  CAP  member  at  a
distance and in low-light conditions.  CAP-USAF/CC must approve changes to the CAP Air Force-style  uniform.  CAP  uniforms  must  be sufficiently  different  from  U.S.  Armed  Forces uniforms so that confusion will not occur.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Garibaldi

Quote from: lordmonar on March 11, 2016, 10:10:51 PM
Quote from: NIN on March 11, 2016, 09:36:24 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on March 11, 2016, 08:12:55 PM

You tell me.

Here, look in here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/subtitle-D
or even here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/subtitle-D/part-III/chapter-909

No? Hmmm
Quote from: AFI 10-27011.3.4. CAP  Distinctive  Uniforms  and  Insignia.
The  emblems,  insignia,  and  badges  of  the CAP  Air  Force-style  uniform  will  clearly  identify  an  individual  as  a  CAP  member  at  a
distance and in low-light conditions.  CAP-USAF/CC must approve changes to the CAP Air Force-style  uniform.  CAP  uniforms  must  be sufficiently  different  from  U.S.  Armed  Forces uniforms so that confusion will not occur.

Zip. Zop. Zooie.  Thankee both. Although the law stuff went over my head.

I think, though, that the ultramarine tapes and insignia set us apart enough. The only other org that uses anything close is the USCG, if I'm not mistaken.