Main Menu

ABU Wear Test

Started by winterg, December 11, 2015, 05:44:27 PM

NIN

Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on March 07, 2016, 10:08:23 PM

http://m.imgur.com/A66hlYi

They almost look black in this picture.

As I said over here: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=20795.msg381275#msg381275

Quote[...]but we can look back in the deep dark recesses here and find whole threads literally eviscerating unsuspecting people for perceived slights seen in photos, things like the color of the material on a badge or the alignment of their insignia when it was likely some kind of trick of lighting or camera artifact caused by an angle or something.

The lighting in that photo is suspect at best.  If you were looking at something more white balanced, etc, I'd say that we're getting a true color representation, but we're not.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Гугл переводчик

My apologies, didn't see that post
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

PHall

IIRC, the phase in time when we went from Fatigues to BDU's was 3 years.
Most cadets were wearing BDU's within 90 days.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 07, 2016, 05:15:55 PM
Phase-in really has no bearing on about 83% of the membership. Cadets have their fingers poised over the "submit order" button on various websites right as we speak. Some members already have ABUs from AD or when CAP initially was thinking of it.
Not here.  Most, if not all, of my cadets are poised over the 'save money first' button as Mom and Dad aren't paying, especially the ones who bought BDUs fairly recently.  Likewise most of the SM since none of us have the uniform from prior service.  Obviously YMMV and I'm sure you're right about the cadets in many squadrons.  I truly wish it were true for mine!   :'(

There will be some members that will absolutely not change to ABUs until the last minute for various reasons. "I just bought a new set of BDUs", "My BDUs are perfectly serviceable, so I'll wait until I have to start repairing them", "I hate the blasted things, I'll just keep these since they will be the new corporate uniform. Oh, wait, they don't look like crap? I'll get them, but I'll wait a bit".

:)  Indeed, there's always that member who'll take it to the wire and beyond.... >:D

Then we have to consider the availability spectrum. Some units will not be able to get them at a surplus shop or DRMO, or don't have access to an AF base to get them. Evilbay may have some but they usually run in the medium sizes.

Right...and there's the real problem, finding them in cadet sizes.  From what other people have written, I can see that being a serious issue.

NIN

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on March 08, 2016, 01:49:43 PM
Right...and there's the real problem, finding them in cadet sizes.  From what other people have written, I can see that being a serious issue.

More or less its a serious issue already with BDUs.

No matter how much we want it to be, these:

are not these:

So technically, if you put a small, small cadet in the former-type "BDUs" you're really just creating a Halloween Costume.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: NIN on March 08, 2016, 04:03:17 PM
Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on March 08, 2016, 01:49:43 PM

More or less its a serious issue already with BDUs.

No matter how much we want it to be, these:

are not these:

So technically, if you put a small, small cadet in the former-type "BDUs" you're really just creating a Halloween Costume.

I've been able to find real BDU-style uniforms in extra small sizes, but at a much higher price.

NIN

Yeah, the extra small short bdus are quite hard to find. Like unicorns.

Many years ago, my group Supply Officer scored an entire room full of Extra Small Short jungle fatigue uniforms, still in the waxed cardboard shipping boxes. I kind of suspect they were leftovers that were intended to be shipped to Southeast Asia prior to 1975.

He had probably 500 sets of uniforms in the supply room and refused to issue any of them out. Would have been nice to find a similar stash of BDUs.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Storm Chaser

You can get the smaller BDU sizes here:

http://shop.youngmarinesbx.com/BDU-Youth-Military-Spec-Blouse-Shirt-NO-BUTTONS-SHOWING-6001.htm;jsessionid=09079485B5E14442880BB69BC333C0A2.m1plqscsfapp03

Unfortunately, these BDUs tend to fade faster than government issue or similar BDUs.

DesertRat

So, last night at our Squadron meeting, an SM is spouting about how we "are going to start wearing ABU's." OK Fine. I like my beard, so I wear BBDU's anyway. But why do people jump into announcing things like this when the bosses who make decisions have not done it yet?

Misinformation and rumor don't do us any good. Now we will have to field parent questions about uniform purchases and more expense etc, that could have waited until we have an actual directive. Right now, we have to give them nebulous answers. *headache*

All I hope is that I can donate a bit of cash to the squadron and buy those BDU's for pennies on the dollar; personally love the things!

goblin

Quote from: DesertRat on March 08, 2016, 05:08:15 PMBut why do people jump into announcing things like this when the bosses who make decisions have not done it yet?

#TotalForce

Garibaldi

Quote from: Goblin on March 08, 2016, 05:31:09 PM

Quote from: DesertRat on March 08, 2016, 05:08:15 PMBut why do people jump into announcing things like this when the bosses who make decisions have not done it yet?

#TotalForce

In an org such as ours, a lot of people want to think they are "in the know" and think their position, grade, or longevity will bear their thinking out. Personally, until COL Greenwood, who is also my Wing CC, announces something solid, I will entertain no conflicting rumor, innuendo, information, or misinformation. My source is solid, I trust him imminently, and unless it comes from him DIRECTLY, it's a no-go. Period.

People spreading rumors like this are doing more of a disservice than they can know. I bet within 3 weeks there will be photos circulating on Facebook or Twitgram or Instaface or whatever with cadets in ABUs, and they're going to get their little hearts broken when someone comes down on them and tells them to go back to BDUs. "But...muh unit commander said we could..." Nope. Cite me the ICL, or formal announcement, or take them off.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Spam

Garibaldi, as YOUR unit commander, I'm saying, no we cant - yet.

We never will (you and I) unless we lose some weight, and that holds for the other couple of guys in the unit whom I've told to get out of USAF style this past year. I am amazed at the large blind spots some fellow officers have regarding how they think they are going to cram their fatness into blues, and depressed at seeing it in fellow staffers and commanders whom I'd expect to set the pace. I was very depressed driving home from Commanders Call this SAT, which I attended in the polo shirt and the "Revenant Bear Hide" fuzzy black jacket (and where I was criticized twice by fellow fat commanders for wearing this, in lieu of USAF blues).

Seems to me the "ABU Wear Test" really should have another component:  senior leadership holding ALL levels accountable for "testing" them selves for fitness to "wear"...

V/R
Spam

Garibaldi

Quote from: Spam on March 08, 2016, 06:02:35 PM
Garibaldi, as YOUR unit commander, I'm saying, no we cant - yet.

We never will (you and I) unless we lose some weight, and that holds for the other couple of guys in the unit whom I've told to get out of USAF style this past year. I am amazed at the large blind spots some fellow officers have regarding how they think they are going to cram their fatness into blues, and depressed at seeing it in fellow staffers and commanders whom I'd expect to set the pace. I was very depressed driving home from Commanders Call this SAT, which I attended in the polo shirt and the "Revenant Bear Hide" fuzzy black jacket (and where I was criticized twice by fellow fat commanders for wearing this, in lieu of USAF blues).

Seems to me the "ABU Wear Test" really should have another component:  senior leadership holding ALL levels accountable for "testing" them selves for fitness to "wear"...

V/R
Spam

It flows downhill, sir.  This is why I hung up the BDUs except for mission critical...missions. Polo/tactical slacks for me until the 40 pounds I want to lose are gone for good. Perhaps we can set the tone...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

kwe1009

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 08, 2016, 05:44:37 PM
Quote from: Goblin on March 08, 2016, 05:31:09 PM

#TotalForce

In an org such as ours, a lot of people want to think they are "in the know" and think their position, grade, or longevity will bear their thinking out. Personally, until COL Greenwood, who is also my Wing CC, announces something solid, I will entertain no conflicting rumor, innuendo, information, or misinformation. My source is solid, I trust him imminently, and unless it comes from him DIRECTLY, it's a no-go. Period.

People spreading rumors like this are doing more of a disservice than they can know. I bet within 3 weeks there will be photos circulating on Facebook or Twitgram or Instaface or whatever with cadets in ABUs, and they're going to get their little hearts broken when someone comes down on them and tells them to go back to BDUs. "But...muh unit commander said we could..." Nope. Cite me the ICL, or formal announcement, or take them off.

You are absolutely correct.  The funny thing is that exactly how many CAP directives are sent through the rumor mill for dissemination to the masses instead of official channels?  I am pretty positive that any change in uniform direction will be sent through official channels to everyone, not just an email to Squadron Commander Joe.

vorteks

Quote from: Spam on March 08, 2016, 06:02:35 PM
... I am amazed at the large blind spots some fellow officers have regarding how they think they are going to cram their fatness into blues, and depressed at seeing it in fellow staffers and commanders whom I'd expect to set the pace. I was very depressed driving home from Commanders Call this SAT, which I attended in the polo shirt and the "Revenant Bear Hide" fuzzy black jacket (and where I was criticized twice by fellow fat commanders for wearing this, in lieu of USAF blues).

Expect JeffDG and others to express their moral outrage at that remark despite its veracity...

Spam

Well, someone may bring up the Respect core value, sure. It is a valid issue, and we should keep it in mind, no argument here. I need to clarify that I don't think most of the folks wearing in contravention are intentionally disrespecting the uniform. I just think all of us have blind spots, and some of us will simply refuse to admit to ourselves that we're not as thin as we once were in the face of an attractive uniform option (or, an attractive NEW - ABU - uniform option).

Hence, the conflict arises when someone else struggles with pointing out the sensitive truth. Some folks are just no good at sensitive counseling (I'm not that good at it, myself) and there's no really sweet and nice "respectful" way to pop someone's bubble of innocent fantasy to tell them that they're not a recruiting poster in uniform, much less compliant with regs. You must step out of your comfort zone, and bust theirs, to tell them.

Where we go wrong is when we start really enjoying the correcting - in getting a thrill out of doing it like some petty tyrant. THAT is disrespect, and its a disservice equal to allowing members to profane the uniform.

V/R
Spam

Luis R. Ramos

A uniform cannot be disrespected as it is not a living thing.

However other uniform users can. Whenever you wear uniforms improperly, you disrespect others. But not the uniform itself...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Spam

Sure, you can show lack of respect for nonliving things:

4 U.S. Code § 8 - Respect for flag
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/8

"No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America;"

Luis R. Ramos

Like they say, for everything there is an exception... The Flag of the United States is the nonliving thing that proves the exception...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on March 09, 2016, 04:53:27 AM
Like they say, for everything there is an exception... The Flag of the United States is the nonliving thing that proves the exception...

Keep digging,  the hole's not deep enough yet.