Main Menu

ABU Wear Test

Started by winterg, December 11, 2015, 05:44:27 PM

Майор Хаткевич

I'm sure we're looking at a 3-5 year timeline. Enough for most cadets to be in and out of the program.

LSThiker

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 06, 2016, 09:36:38 PM
Regardless of phase in time, ebay will sell out about 20 seconds after the authorization hits.

I am sure there are some members that have already bought them the instant they read the ABU email. 

On a personal note, I will probably skip on purchasing the ABUs and just go full corporate.

NIN

Quote from: LSThiker on March 07, 2016, 02:38:28 AM
I am sure there are some members that have already bought them the instant they read the ABU email.

I bought mine in 2013 knowing the proposal was headed to HAF. Then, in 2014, the request was yanked at basically the 11th hour. Into the footlocker they went.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

lordmonar

I saved mine from 2008 know that we would get to wear them.  ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

USAFRiggerGuy

I also have 3 sets of ABUs and the sage boots ready to be worn from my time in the Air Force. Although they do seem a little tighter than when I last wore them in 2012! [emoji13]
Michael Orcutt, 1Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Broomfield Composite Squadron
RMR-CO-099
Proud USAF Veteran (SSgt)

kwe1009

Quote from: USAFRiggerGuy on March 07, 2016, 02:57:04 PM
I also have 3 sets of ABUs and the sage boots ready to be worn from my time in the Air Force. Although they do seem a little tighter than when I last wore them in 2012! [emoji13]

I have learned that Air Force uniforms tend to shrink after a person leaves the service.  I'm not sure how that happens but all of my AF uniforms shrank!

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: kwe1009 on March 07, 2016, 03:40:38 PM

I have learned that Air Force uniforms tend to shrink after a person leaves the service.  I'm not sure how that happens but all of my AF uniforms shrank!

Definitely gremlins...

kwe1009

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 07, 2016, 02:23:45 AM
I'm sure we're looking at a 3-5 year timeline. Enough for most cadets to be in and out of the program.

When the Air Force went to ABUs I think it was like a 5 phase in period.  I would imagine the phase in period for CAP might be even longer.  We will have to wait and see.  I guess that I am one of the minority that isn't looking forward to ABUs.  I have never liked them.

Lastly, for those complaining about the black boots and black t-shirts with the ABU, the Air Force wore those with DCUs for many years. Not everyone who deployed was issued desert tan boots. 

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: kwe1009 on March 07, 2016, 03:46:48 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 07, 2016, 02:23:45 AM

When the Air Force went to ABUs I think it was like a 5 phase in period.  I would imagine the phase in period for CAP might be even longer.  We will have to wait and see.  I guess that I am one of the minority that isn't looking forward to ABUs.  I have never liked them.

Lastly, for those complaining about the black boots and black t-shirts with the ABU, the Air Force wore those with DCUs for many years. Not everyone who deployed was issued desert tan boots.

I'm basing 3 years on optimistic projections, and 5 years on "reasonable". As NIN posted regarding the BDU transition, most people changed over from the Green suits within a year.

NIN

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 07, 2016, 04:11:47 PM
I'm basing 3 years on optimistic projections, and 5 years on "reasonable". As NIN posted regarding the BDU transition, most people changed over from the Green suits within a year.

I think you'll see a 3-ish year phase in.

This idea that you can buy uniforms and wear them for 7-10 years is a pipe dream.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Storm Chaser

Because of the way ABUs are sized (actual chest and waist size as opposed to the Small, Medium, Large, etc. range sizes of BDUs), I fear many members will be wearing ABUs that are either a size too small or too big.

THRAWN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 07, 2016, 05:09:13 PM
Because of the way ABUs are sized (actual chest and waist size as opposed to the Small, Medium, Large, etc. range sizes of BDUs), I fear many members will be wearing ABUs that are either a size too small or too big.

Kind of like they do now with BDUs. And blues. And flight suits. And GWs....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Garibaldi

Phase-in really has no bearing on about 83% of the membership. Cadets have their fingers poised over the "submit order" button on various websites right as we speak. Some members already have ABUs from AD or when CAP initially was thinking of it. And there are members like me who need to lose a little weight before thinking about squeezing into a new uniform, so that will take some time. For me, about four months or so.

There will be some members that will absolutely not change to ABUs until the last minute for various reasons. "I just bought a new set of BDUs", "My BDUs are perfectly serviceable, so I'll wait until I have to start repairing them", "I hate the blasted things, I'll just keep these since they will be the new corporate uniform. Oh, wait, they don't look like crap? I'll get them, but I'll wait a bit".

Then we have to consider the availability spectrum. Some units will not be able to get them at a surplus shop or DRMO, or don't have access to an AF base to get them. Evilbay may have some but they usually run in the medium sizes.

I'm just spitballing here.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Storm Chaser

Quote from: THRAWN on March 07, 2016, 05:12:02 PM

Kind of, but worse. The BDU sizing allows for some wiggle room that the ABU doesn't offer.

Holding Pattern

I thought those were the 2 approved military sizes for issuing uniforms?

NIN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 07, 2016, 05:29:42 PM

Kind of, but worse. The BDU sizing allows for some wiggle room that the ABU doesn't offer.

I think the point was that some people don't fit into the uniforms regardless of wiggle room
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

vorteks

:-X

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 07, 2016, 05:15:55 PM
Phase-in really has no bearing on about 83% of the membership. Cadets have their fingers poised over the "submit order" button on various websites right as we speak. Some members already have ABUs from AD or when CAP initially was thinking of it. And there are members like me who need to lose a little weight before thinking about squeezing into a new uniform, so that will take some time. For me, about four months or so.

There will be some members that will absolutely not change to ABUs until the last minute for various reasons. "I just bought a new set of BDUs", "My BDUs are perfectly serviceable, so I'll wait until I have to start repairing them", "I hate the blasted things, I'll just keep these since they will be the new corporate uniform. Oh, wait, they don't look like crap? I'll get them, but I'll wait a bit".

Then we have to consider the availability spectrum. Some units will not be able to get them at a surplus shop or DRMO, or don't have access to an AF base to get them. Evilbay may have some but they usually run in the medium sizes.

I'm just spitballing here.

I'm about 20lbs into my weight loss. Minimum 8 months or so until I'm within the CAP allowance, but realistically, if it comes to it, I may hold off until my BBDUs are worn down, and I hit "maintenance" weight. Basically, I'm thinking 2 years out, maybe longer if BBDUs give out before the weight does. It sure is a long road on the downward trend.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: kwe1009 on March 07, 2016, 03:40:38 PM

My Tony Nelson uniform hanging in my closet will soon only be fit for G.I. Joe figures.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Гугл переводчик

http://m.imgur.com/A66hlYi

They almost look black in this picture.
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF