Main Menu

ABU Wear Test

Started by winterg, December 11, 2015, 05:44:27 PM

RogueLeader

I would have guessed Mountain Home AFB. But that works too.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Гугл переводчик

Quote from: RogueLeader on March 03, 2016, 04:50:03 AM

Plot Twist. Mountain Home AFB and Gowen Field are both correct.  >:D
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

goblin

Quote from: LSThiker on March 03, 2016, 04:29:02 AM
Quote from: Goblin on March 03, 2016, 04:12:00 AM

Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on March 03, 2016, 01:57:37 AM
We have a USAF 2nd Lt who told his airman that if they see anyone around base wearing ABU's with tapes that say "Civil Air Patrol" to not go up to them and attack them for stolen valor. The young AF Airman on this base have a history of being... energetic  ;)

What base?

Perhaps the base that Boise Composite Squadron (ID-073) meets on:  Gowen Field Air National Guard Base

Just a stab in the dark.

And I was supposed to know this how?

SarDragon

Quote from: Goblin on March 03, 2016, 05:46:30 AM

We have a USAF 2nd Lt who told his airman that if they see anyone around base wearing ABU's with tapes that say "Civil Air Patrol" to not go up to them and attack them for stolen valor. The young AF Airman on this base have a history of being... energetic  ;)

What base?

Perhaps the base that Boise Composite Squadron (ID-073) meets on:  Gowen Field Air National Guard Base

Just a stab in the dark.

Your Google Foo is very weak. Sam's unit is listed right on his posts, and a very quick search for CAP ID-073 show us as quickly that it is the unit ID for Boise Composite Squadron. Further investigation reveals that they meet at Gowen Field Air National Guard Base, in Boise.

Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on March 03, 2016, 05:09:42 AM

For Sam, how so? The two airfields are an hour apart.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Гугл переводчик

The LT lives and works at Mountain Home, but also recently did some work on Gowen
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

jeders

Quote from: JeffDG on March 03, 2016, 03:11:40 AM
You have airmen who listened to 2nd Lts?   >:D

They're still young and don't know any better.  >:D
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

goblin

Quote from: SarDragon on March 03, 2016, 08:29:18 AM
Quote from: Goblin on March 03, 2016, 05:46:30 AM

What base?

Just a stab in the dark.

Your Google Foo is very weak. Sam's unit is listed right on his posts, and a very quick search for CAP ID-073 show us as quickly that it is the unit ID for Boise Composite Squadron. Further investigation reveals that they meet at Gowen Field Air National Guard Base, in Boise.

Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on March 03, 2016, 05:09:42 AM

For Sam, how so? The two airfields are an hour apart.

None of that shows up on Tapatalk app, FYI

AirAux

Hey, did no one get the e-mail from Gen Vasquez yesterday?  Dark blue and silver thread for all nape tapes, etc, also, black boots, not green ones.  Oh and we will be going to dark blue and silver thread for current BDU's and BBDU's.

arajca

winterg

Yeah, I think Starfleet mentioned it yesterday.  I got the email about the same time he posted. 

RogueLeader

I didn't get one from the CAP/CC but I did get one front the national uniform board.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pace

Quote from: RogueLeader on March 03, 2016, 06:46:06 PM
I didn't get one from the CAP/CC but I did get one front the national uniform board.
Care to share with the peanut gallery?
Lt Col, CAP

THRAWN

Quote from: Pace on March 03, 2016, 07:15:47 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on March 03, 2016, 06:46:06 PM
Care to share with the peanut gallery?

It'd be nice if someone could post the message for those of us outside the circle of trust...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

winterg

Looks like I misspoke, the email I got was from the NUC, not CAP/CC. 

Pace

Quote from: winterg on March 03, 2016, 07:20:09 PM
Hey, maybe Guite will post it!??
Lt Col, CAP

winterg

Quote from: Pace on March 03, 2016, 07:22:00 PM
Quote from: winterg on March 03, 2016, 07:20:09 PM
Hey, maybe Guite will post it!??
Here it is. 

Fellow members of the Civil Air Patrol:

The idea of Civil Air Patrol transitioning their Air Force style utility uniform from the BDU to the ABU, has been a topic of discussion in both official and unofficial circles for some time.

Previously, the decision was made to not pursue the ABU for CAP because the Air Force was considering phasing out the ABU. Recently, we were informed that the Air Force has no intention of phasing out the ABU in the near future. At that time, the decision was made to examine the possibility of CAP transitioning to the ABU, due to the increase in issues with BDU availability in some parts of the country. The National Uniform Committee was tasked with examining the issue.

It's important to remember that the Air Force Instruction governing our wear of the Air Force Uniform requires that our uniforms be easily distinguishable from Air Force Uniforms at a distance and at low light. This is accomplished through the use of distinctive insignia, name tapes, etc.

The National Uniform Committee, in coordination with CAP-USAF recommended that CAP ask for Air Force approval to wear the ABU with the following distinguishing modifications:

1.  Name and CAP tapes, aviation and specialty badges would be on a Navy Blue background with silver thread. These colors would be the same as currently in use on the NCO stripes. The NUC examined the possibility of using the ABU tapes. Because our adult members wear the same grade insignia as Air Force Officers, use of the ABU tapes was not considered to be distinguishable in accordance to the AFI. AFJROTC and AFROTC wear the ABU tapes, but they do not wear officer grade insignia. Wing, Unit, and Activity patches would be optional under the proposal.

2.  Black boots. There were many factors in our recommendation to retain the black boots. The first was cost to the membership. Many members already own black boots. Also, black boots are still available at reasonable prices commercially. The green boots cost over $100. Another consideration was asking members to buy a second pair of boots if they chose to wear other uniform combinations. The corporate (blue) uniform has black boots, as do the flight duty uniforms.  The final reason was the black boots provide a further distinguishing factor to the uniform.

Our final recommendation was to phase out the ultramarine blue tapes and insignia, and convert to the navy blue and silver tapes. These tapes better match the corporate BDU's and will eliminate the confusion caused by having two different color tapes.

As you have undoubtedly heard by now, our National Commander, Maj Gen Joseph Vazquez, sought the opinion of the CAP Command Council regarding the proposed changes. The Command Council overwhelmingly supported the change to the ABU. The proposal now goes to the Air Force for approval. As a reminder, the ABU Uniform for CAP is NOT approved yet.

The Command Council also recommended phasing out the ultramarine tapes in favor of the navy blue tapes on the Corporate BDU.

I hope this has answered your questions about how we arrived at our recommendations. If you have any further questions, I encourage you to address them with your chain of command. They have the most up to date information. Thank you.

Colonel Richard J. Greenwood, CAP
Chair, National Uniform Committee

Pace

Lt Col, CAP

THRAWN

AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Garibaldi

Quote from: THRAWN on March 03, 2016, 07:30:24 PM
Thankee-sai...

Say thankee big big! May it do ya fine.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

THRAWN

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 03, 2016, 07:33:19 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on March 03, 2016, 07:30:24 PM
Thankee-sai...

Say thankee big big! May it do ya fine.

Hile, gunslinger! Long days and pleasant nights...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023