Main Menu

ABU Wear Test

Started by winterg, December 11, 2015, 05:44:27 PM

Al Sayre

Quote from: NIN on February 29, 2016, 02:40:09 AM

Quote from: JeffDG on February 29, 2016, 12:02:59 AM
,2)  Shining...I believe on Wing/CC said shining boots "builds character"

If that's the case, I have an over abundance of it. Anybody need some?

:)

No thanks, we already have enough characters...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

GaryJSO

The heck with all that, let's get to the real question everybody has on their mind:

Will we be able to wear our WWII vintage wings on the ABU?

I think they will, because they wouldn't want Vanguard to miss a chance to gouge us another $8 a pop for an item costs them 75¢ to make.

THRAWN

Quote from: GaryJSO on February 29, 2016, 02:27:31 PM
The heck with all that, let's get to the real question everybody has on their mind:

Will we be able to wear our WWII vintage wings on the ABU?

I think they will, because they wouldn't want Vanguard to miss a chance to gouge us another $8 a pop for an item costs them 75¢ to make.

Nobody said that you HAVE TO wear them anyway. Some of us prefer that you didn't....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

Quote from: Al Sayre on February 29, 2016, 12:38:48 PM
No thanks, we already have enough characters...

Well, lemme know. I'm keeping mine in an old tin of Kiwi.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

LTC Don

My only issue with this is that right now, I have 12-year olds too small for the smallest BDUs. I've had a couple that had to buy 'kids' BDUs just to have any kind of similar camo uniform.  How is that going to work with the ABUs once they become mandatory?  XS-Short is still too big for young cadets, who may not hit their 'growth spurt' for another 2-3 years.
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Paul Creed III

Quote from: LTC Don on February 29, 2016, 04:03:02 PM
My only issue with this is that right now, I have 12-year olds too small for the smallest BDUs. I've had a couple that had to buy 'kids' BDUs just to have any kind of similar camo uniform.  How is that going to work with the ABUs once they become mandatory?  XS-Short is still too big for young cadets, who may not hit their 'growth spurt' for another 2-3 years.

I suspect that this will continue to be an issue if/when ABUs become authorized. I've had cadets that had to take their BDUs to a tailor to be altered and they still swam in them sometimes.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

LTC Don

Then there is the issue of hats, the patrol cap, and this absurd allergy to boonie hats.  Will the ABU boonie be authorized?

It'll be interesting to see if NHQ can actually work with CAP-USAF and the DRMO system to divert stocks to CAP Wings BEFORE being released into the state's federal surplus chain and the auction systems so we don't lose access to millions of uniforms and accessories, like we did with the BDUs.   ::)
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

NIN

Quote from: LTC Don on February 29, 2016, 04:03:02 PM

Its been an issue since forever.

Cadets didn't fit into fatigues. Moms tailored

Cadets didn't fit into BDUs. Moms tailored (or, you found the exposed button "kid's BDUs" which is, technically speaking, not really BDUs.) 
(I had a mom in the sq who pulled her son's BDU shirt lower pockets, moved them up like 2 inches, sewed them back on, and then did a 2" hem on the bottom of the shirt. She also did a wonderful trick on the sleeves to take like 2 1/2 - 3" out of them)

The same thing will happen to ABUs.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: LTC Don on February 29, 2016, 04:42:58 PM
It'll be interesting to see if NHQ can actually work with CAP-USAF and the DRMO system to divert stocks to CAP Wings BEFORE being released into the state's federal surplus chain and the auction systems so we don't lose access to millions of uniforms and accessories, like we did with the BDUs.   ::)

Yes.

There have been anecdotal reports of various ANG and AFRES units offering CAP squadrons ABUs by the pallet load and we've had to "turn them down."

I suspect that if we were somehow able to obtain ABUs just from the IET washouts at Lackland, we'd probably keep CAP cadets in uniforms for the next 20 years.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

lordmonar

The Nellis Airman's Attic has been wanting to give us boxes and boxes of ABUs......so start hitting up your local bases and start making that contact with them.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Meridius

What no one has said...  Congress in the FY15 appropriations bill dictated that the services will go to one utility uniform (OCP, ABU, whatever).  So, CAP may be adopting a uniform that is being phased out when Congress is telling everyone in uniform to wear the same uniform.  Didn't we just become a "component of the United States Air Force?"  If that is the case, why are we not adopting multi-cam or skorpion?

Personally, I like the ABU.  I liked the woodland BDU.  Wore it (BDU) for a decade while in the Army.  But the OCP would be better in terms of wearing an active uniform (active in the sense that it is currently being used) not a uniform (BDU/ABU) that is being relegated to history.  Since we are non-active duty and volunteer, keep the white on blue or go to silver on navy tapes and badges.

Patches - as stated earlier - I don't want to have us continue to look like clowns with patches all over the place.  However, for ES, our customers are usually non-military such as county ES or law enforcement SAR.  SAR type patches probably should be worn, or at least addressed.  Definitely, SUBDUE them.  No white, no bright colors other than red or cinnamon with browns, blacks and greens.  Or, just Velcro them on during missions on shoulder or pocket, whatever.  Limit the number and ENFORCE -- limit the occupational and skill badges (we have one member that wears foreign jump wings, command, expert infantry badge, basic paratrooper, army basic air crew, CAP observer, and GBD).

My opinion, of course.

lordmonar

Yes Congress did pass that as part of FY 15 spending bill.....and they then failed to comply with their part of the bill to actually give the services the rules and specifications that they were supposed to provide.

They Army has changed to their version of Multi-cams.....the USAF's current stance seems to be.....we will use the ABUs in garrison and then issues the "common combat uniform" as they send airman to combat.

I have not heard a peep out of the Navy and  Marines.

But yes....if the USAF ever changes......in time so would CAP.

Lem

Thanks  to all that responded to the difference in the ABU and the ACU  that helped  greatly. This is surely an exciting time to be a member in the Civil Air Patrol. 

arajca

Quote from: Meridius on February 29, 2016, 09:04:40 PM
Patches - as stated earlier - I don't want to have us continue to look like clowns with patches all over the place.  However, for ES, our customers are usually non-military such as county ES or law enforcement SAR.  SAR type patches probably should be worn, or at least addressed.  Definitely, SUBDUE them.  No white, no bright colors other than red or cinnamon with browns, blacks and greens.  Or, just Velcro them on during missions on shoulder or pocket, whatever.  Limit the number and ENFORCE -- limit the occupational and skill badges (we have one member that wears foreign jump wings, command, expert infantry badge, basic paratrooper, army basic air crew, CAP observer, and GBD).

My opinion, of course.
Don't subdue them. The purpose of subdued patches is to make them blend in. I developed a system to 'subtilize' the patches. Bright colors become dark colors, i.e. red becomes maroon/rust, bright blue becomes navy blue, white to grey, yellow/gold to old gold, etc. still full color, but not nearly as garish on the uniforms.

There is already a limit on badges - 4 max, 5 if one wears a command badge, on the service uniforms. Two/three on the working (bdu/bbdu) uniforms - two above the CAP tape, and command badge above the name (current commanders)/below the name tape (graduated commanders). The only badge authorized on a pocket flap is the graduated commander's badge. You have an enforcement issue.

JeffDG

There was a question at the Command Council about patches, and it was stated that full colour will be authorized.

Lem

Well this my opinion but I think if we are going to all the trouble to change uniforms we should go with the same regulations as the Air Force   as to the number and placement of patches. The dark blue/ silver letters will be distinctive enough to tell the difference.

lordmonar

Yep

I'm gonna recommend to my wing commander to not allow patch.  Just rank and badges. 

YMMV

USACAP

Yep. You're on to something pal.
The USAF brass intends to end up in Multicam/Skorpion-OCP.
They just want it to be a fait accompli so they don't have to apologize to the USMC.
The Army is the largest service component, personnel-wise ... despite the Marines moaning about needing their funky digital camo (which is all borrowed from the Canadians), they'll end up in the same Multicam/Skorpion-OCP as the Army.
People get all whiney whenever this topic comes up.

Personally I think CAP should wear safety orange "in the field." Eliminate the need for orange vests and all that.

Quote from: Meridius on February 29, 2016, 09:04:40 PM
What no one has said...  Congress in the FY15 appropriations bill dictated that the services will go to one utility uniform (OCP, ABU, whatever). 

Shieldel

Quote from: lordmonar on February 29, 2016, 11:22:23 PM
Yep

I'm gonna recommend to my wing commander to not allow patch.  Just rank and badges. 

YMMV

I'll bring it to CAC. I'm still Nellis Comp's CAC Rep. I can bring that up at the upcoming meeting if you'd like
Formerly 2d Lt Michael D. Scheidle
Formerly Jack Schofield Cadet Squadron
Member of PCR-NV070, 069, 802 throughout my CAP Career
Former CAP Member 2011-2018

lordmonar

Quote from: Shieldel on March 01, 2016, 12:27:40 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 29, 2016, 11:22:23 PM
Yep

YMMV

I'll bring it to CAC. I'm still Nellis Comp's CAC Rep. I can bring that up at the upcoming meeting if you'd like
No need.  I'm the Wing Command NCO.....:)