Main Menu

ABU Wear Test

Started by winterg, December 11, 2015, 05:44:27 PM

Sapper168

Quote from: RiverAux on December 21, 2015, 09:53:53 PM
Okay, speaking as someone who is personally very familiar with the line between can and can't wear AF-style uniforms, I do have to wonder about whether that line has been crossed by those pictured in the wear test.  But, yep, I'm going to be "that guy" and go there...

It's all good, the tested 'prototype' uniforms are not official CAP uniforms so no regs are broken.    >:D 
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Garibaldi on December 19, 2015, 04:30:37 PM
It's beginning to look like we are falling in 3 camps: Those who want ABUs (mostly cadets, but some seniors as well); those who don't, and want to keep BDUs; and those who don't, and want to move away from the AF style and stay with corporate BBDUs.

What about the fourth camp of those of us who don't really care whether we wear BDUs, BBDUs, or ABUs, but would like a single utility uniform that all members can wear.

Shuman 14

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 22, 2015, 08:26:53 PM
What about the fourth camp of those of us who don't really care whether we wear BDUs, BBDUs, or ABUs, but would like a single utility uniform that all members can wear.

:clap:
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Майор Хаткевич

It's beginning to look like we are falling in 3 camps: Those who want ABUs (mostly cadets, but some seniors as well); those who don't, and want to keep BDUs; and those who don't, and want to move away from the AF style and stay with corporate BBDUs.

Could be resolved if the #TotalForce allows CAP ABUs for all.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on December 23, 2015, 07:35:12 PM

Does that apply to the grooming and weight standards as well?

nomad129

Transitioning to ABUs is probably inevitable. For what it's worth, my opinion is that unlike our active duty brethren nothing in our mission requires any type of camouflage. Luckily ABUs, just like their ACU counterparts, don't actually blend in with anything, anywhere. I think we should drop camouflage uniforms entirely for blue BDUs, maybe in a more modern cut like ACUs though. I also think it's time to adopt orange shirts for search and rescue because wearing camouflage in these missions to totally counter productive...
"We don't rise to the level of our expectations; we fall to the level of our training."

Garibaldi

Quote from: nomad129 on December 23, 2015, 09:20:35 PM
Transitioning to ABUs is probably inevitable. For what it's worth, my opinion is that unlike our active duty brethren nothing in our mission requires any type of camouflage. Luckily ABUs, just like their ACU counterparts, don't actually blend in with anything, anywhere. I think we should drop camouflage uniforms entirely for blue BDUs, maybe in a more modern cut like ACUs though. I also think it's time to adopt orange shirts for search and rescue because wearing camouflage in these missions to totally counter productive...

I hate to say I agree with you. Especially in the North Georgia mountains, where the foliage is so thick in places we can barely see a person two feet from you. Orange would definitely be safer.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

PHall

Quote from: Garibaldi on December 23, 2015, 09:32:17 PM

I hate to say I agree with you. Especially in the North Georgia mountains, where the foliage is so thick in places we can barely see a person two feet from you. Orange would definitely be safer.

Of course if you were wearing the orange vest that you are required to wear during ES activities you would be visible.
But I guess following the regs can be inconvenient.

lordmonar

And neither one of you understand why so many want the ABU and BDU in the first place. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on December 23, 2015, 09:38:23 PM

Of course if you were wearing the orange vest that you are required to wear during ES activities you would be visible.

You ain't seen the foliage we gots here. Even a orange vest ain't always visible

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Garibaldi on December 23, 2015, 09:43:54 PM

You ain't seen the foliage we gots here. Even a orange vest ain't always visible

And how would a small triangle at the neckline help in BBDUs?

Storm Chaser

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 23, 2015, 07:59:23 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on December 23, 2015, 07:35:12 PM

Does that apply to the grooming and weight standards as well?

I think relaxing weight standards is definitely possible, but grooming standards are a different issue. While there may be religious or health reasons for not meeting certain grooming standards, most of the time is a matter of choice. I'm not sure the Air Force would go for that. 

Luis R. Ramos

Garibaldi-

If the thick foliage prevents people from seeing an orange vest, an orange shirt may not make that big of a difference...

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

If it's that thick then how can you see what you're looking for?  I don't think tripping over them is a viable option!

abdsp51

Folks are forgetting one thing that's the big issue with this.  The DoD has to allow it not the AF and Total Force is not the cure all and be all you think it is or is going to be.  And should we transition to it the H&W and grooming will probably stay the same. 

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on December 24, 2015, 12:58:30 AM

If it's that thick then how can you see what you're looking for?  I don't think tripping over them is a viable option!

You would be surprised at the number of missing persons searches I've been on. The terrain rough, foliage thick, and it was our assigned AO due to the LKP/place last seen, etc.

As a lot of people say, it's all well and good to think its not a good idea, but you weren't there. Our last save in 1989 had members in the worst possible terrain imaginable, and pretty lousy wx to boot.

goblin

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 24, 2015, 01:18:34 AM
Folks are forgetting one thing that's the big issue with this.  The DoD has to allow it not the AF and Total Force is not the cure all and be all you think it is or is going to be.  And should we transition to it the H&W and grooming will probably stay the same.

This.

Total Force means absolutely nothing.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Goblin on December 24, 2015, 02:27:18 PM

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 24, 2015, 01:18:34 AM

This.

Total Force means absolutely nothing.

Exactly. It's a recognition and morale booster. That's all.

The subject of uniforms is about uniformity, feasibility, and purpose, not what we're entitled to.

I'm personally not a fan of opening military uniforms to all personnel because of the H&W/Grooming concerns. Yes, while we do have mission needs, we also need to strongly consider the public perception of a 300-lb person with a beard in a military uniform. This isn't to insult anyone's physical fitness or appearance. This is just societal norms. The public doesn't look kindly upon seeing someone in a uniform that looks completely out of place. We need to be very mindful of how this portrays the Air Force or any other branch.

Personal story:
Had a cadet show up in blues one day with a goatee and side burns. His uniform looked great, but his appearance looked like hell. I pulled him aside, and asked him what was going on with the facial hair, and followed up with "When you go out, people don't know that you're a CAP cadet or that you're not Air Force. They know none of this. They see a person in a uniform that looks the way you do right now. Now what do you think their perception of this would be?"

So think about that when we consider what uniform we want and who's going to wear it.

Майор Хаткевич

Guess the AF doesn't quite have the same hold ups on this as some members in CAP.

winterg

That general is Air Guard (I believe) and was ordered by Christie to shape up after this.  If it is the recent story I am remembering.