Main Menu

ABU Wear Test

Started by winterg, December 11, 2015, 05:44:27 PM

SMWOG

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on December 16, 2015, 06:25:58 PM
Black boots are easier to keep "uniform," brown boots tend to become "shades of brown" over time.

Sage is the color the USAF selected for their uniform....Its their call in the end.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: SMWOG on December 16, 2015, 06:59:55 PM
Black boots are easier to keep "uniform," brown boots tend to become "shades of brown" over time.

Sage is the color the USAF selected for their uniform....Its their call in the end.

That doesn't mean we can't argue about it on captalk until said call is made. :P

Storm Chaser

There may be many good reasons to stick with black boots, but I think they look off, if not plain ugly with ABUs.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on December 16, 2015, 07:05:39 PM

That doesn't mean we can't argue about it on captalk until said call is made. :P

Are you implying that arguing about it on CAP Talk is going to end once said call is made?  ;)

Holding Pattern

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 16, 2015, 07:15:17 PM
Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on December 16, 2015, 07:05:39 PM

Are you implying that arguing about it on CAP Talk is going to end once said call is made?  ;)
Only in that all the talk about what the call should be will be changed to why the call was so wrong. :D

Paul Creed III

Quote from: lordmonar on December 16, 2015, 05:22:36 PM
I wear my ABU boot at work.....and have for the last 9 years....still holding up great.

So YMMV.

Which boots do you have?
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

lordmonar

Quote from: Paul Creed III on December 16, 2015, 07:52:31 PM
I wear my ABU boot at work.....and have for the last 9 years....still holding up great.

So YMMV.

Which boots do you have?
Vibram Sage Green
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 16, 2015, 07:15:05 PM
There may be many good reasons to stick with black boots, but I think they look off, if not plain ugly with ABUs.

But the ABUs look ugly already, so it will work out in the end, right?

SARDOC

Ultimately, It's a Utility working uniform.  It should present a uniform professional appearance aside from getting dirty doing "work", I don't really see the benefit of going to the Green Boot.  I think whichever works best for the type of work we do and I think with the variety of black boots on the market our members have a wider selection (ie Price and/or functionality) than we do in the green boot market.

I'd like to see how the NUC decides to go on this.

THRAWN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 16, 2015, 07:15:05 PM

And that, of course is the ultimate decision point, correct Captain Kardashian?  8)
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: SARDOC on December 16, 2015, 08:31:27 PM
Ultimately, It's a Utility working uniform.  It should present a uniform professional appearance aside from getting dirty doing "work", I don't really see the benefit of going to the Green Boot.  I think whichever works best for the type of work we do and I think with the variety of black boots on the market our members have a wider selection (ie Price and/or functionality) than we do in the green boot market.

I'd like to see how the NUC decides to go on this.

I'm interested as well. Hopefully they take into account some real world feedback on the issue.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

LSThiker

So YMMV.

My tan Belleville boots have held up after quite some time. 

vorteks

Cadets will have to figure out how to shine them ABU boots for encampment...  >:D

THRAWN

Quote from: tribalelder on December 16, 2015, 05:33:01 PM
All new regs on hold pending the new codification scheme.

ABU's may be phased out for active duty for whatever the then-new all-service camouflage uniform is going to be. WE NEED NOT FRET ABOUT abu's yet.

BUT if we NEED to wear-test, wouldn't we get a more valid wear-test by sending 12 cadets to NBB, NESA, Hawk Mountain or PJOC  for 2 weeks.

Why? The purpose of a true wear test is to evaluate functionality and durability. That's been done by alleged professionals. It's doubtful that there is any new stresses that NBB can put on the uniform. Well, maybe some added strain to the buttons... All this test is doing is evaluating the look of the uniform with CAP specific insignia.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NCRblues

I have said nothing on this thread since my first post...

But this is something I dislike about CAP and have for a long time.

A "wear test" on a uniform that is worn 365 a year for years already is a joke and looked at as a joke by the AF rank and file and more than likely other uniformed services as well.

Want to see how it looks with shade 332 blue vs 333 blue (made up numbers btw)? Do it behind closed doors at NHQ, not at Arlington.

In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

MSG Mac

The USAF has wear tested the uniform for ten years, why does CAP have to reinvent the wheel? 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

lordmonar

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 17, 2015, 03:01:56 AM
The USAF has wear tested the uniform for ten years, why does CAP have to reinvent the wheel?
I already answered that the first time the question was asked.

The wear test is not to see if it hold up to operational use.....but to fashion show it to our USAF overlords to show that it does not look like ass. (and to see if they prefer black boots over tan/green).

No wheels being reinvented.  Just wear testing.

NCRblues

Quote from: lordmonar on December 17, 2015, 03:27:51 AM

The wear test is not to see if it hold up to operational use.....but to fashion show it to our USAF overlords to show that it does not look like ass. (and to see if they prefer black boots over tan/green).

That simply had to be done at Arlington? Not at NHQ with CAP-USAF?  And of course it had to be region commanders, not your standard rank and file right?
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

lordmonar

Quote from: NCRblues on December 17, 2015, 04:12:47 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on December 17, 2015, 03:27:51 AM

That simply had to be done at Arlington? Not at NHQ with CAP-USAF?  And of course it had to be region commanders, not your standard rank and file right?
Why not?   As far as rank and file?   Any pentagon generals likely to drop by your meeting this week?   Arlington on Wreaths Across America day sounds like a prime time when you will get Pentagon types out doing some good and rubbing shoulders with common airman/soldiers/marines/Seaman....as well as CAP/JROTC/Sea Cadets/Young Marines cadets.

While doing it at Maxwell would have gotten CAP-USAF's attention....I think that they probably already saw it.   And let's face it.....if the goal is to get the big wigs on board with us getting the ABUs.....the fine officers at CAP-USAF are just small fish.

As for who actually wore the uniforms.....at least I can trust those two to keep it on the down low and not screw it up.   The same cannot be said for "your standard rank and file".....I mean look at us here on CAPTALK.

NIN

I seem to recall that the last time around, someone said "Meh, the military's been wearing these BDU things for a long time, so we'll just make these changes and push them out."

And we wound up looking like this for a year or so

until someone said "Whoa. Lets lose the white t-shirts.."

A wear test isn't to see how well the uniform wears, but how it works in the operational environment.  That includes the "optics"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.