Main Menu

ABU Wear Test

Started by winterg, December 11, 2015, 05:44:27 PM

Slim

If it should come to pass that unit patches aren't allowed on this new uniform, I do have one question.

To whom can my unit sent the request for reimbursement of the almost $700 we just spent for a 7-10 year supply of unit patches?

If CAP has to buy out Vanguard's stock of obsolete patches, only seems fair, right?

Slim

A.Member

Quote from: winterg on December 11, 2015, 05:44:27 PM

The one on the left, with black boots, looks great (although I'm good with the tan as well)...the boots make it more distinctive while still tying us to Ma Blue overall. 

Nice work Uniform Committee.  :clap:  Wrap it up and push it forward. :)

Those complaining about patches (or lack thereof)...really?!  ::)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

A.Member

Quote from: Slim on December 15, 2015, 08:42:01 AM
If it should come to pass that unit patches aren't allowed on this new uniform, I do have one question.

To whom can my unit sent the request for reimbursement of the almost $700 we just spent for a 7-10 year supply of unit patches?

If CAP has to buy out Vanguard's stock of obsolete patches, only seems fair, right?
Who is foolish enough to buy a 7 to 10 year supply of unit patches?  Talk to that person.  They're not even required on current uniforms.  Reimbursement?  Get a grip.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

HGjunkie

Maybe give them to your members like you were going to do in the first place? Patches aren't solely for uniforms, they're cool things to put up on your wall or shadow box or whatever.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Chappie

Quote from: HGjunkie on December 15, 2015, 04:45:01 PM

Maybe give them to your members like you were going to do in the first place? Patches aren't solely for uniforms, they're cool things to put up on your wall or shadow box or whatever.

^^ Concur ^^  Patches are much cheaper than coins and are excellent tokens of appreciation.  They are great collectibles.    For a unit's informal/casual events, patches can be sewn on a shirt of their choosing ... or if you want to be more structured provide guidelines for the style/color so everyone matches. 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Luis R. Ramos

Those complaining about patches (or lack thereof)...really?! 

REALLY!

And why not? Did you pay fror CAPTalk so now you can dictate what and how we can feel or discuss?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Holding Pattern

Captalk has taught us well, what can we say?

abdsp51

Since we are talking patches I think that us CP guys should have a patch version of our CP badge. 

winterg

Every specialty track in CAP should have its own function badge like the Air Force has for AFSC's.  It would make so much more sense than the current pocket badges.

lordmonar

Yep CP ES  and AE should have specialty badges (over the ribbons) in stead of the duty badges they got now.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

A.Member

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 15, 2015, 11:27:00 PM
Those complaining about patches (or lack thereof)...really?! 

REALLY!

And why not? Did you pay fror CAPTalk so now you can dictate what and how we can feel or discuss?
I paid the same as you and no one said you can't continue to whine about it.  You just sound silly doing so.  We're not the Cub Scouts.

Luis R. Ramos

Ther comparison is... at best silly.

I have not seen anyone whining about it.

And people in here whine about other stuff.

I see you claim to hold the monopoly on what we can whine about.
Squadron Safety Officer

Shuman 14

Quote from: winterg on December 16, 2015, 12:10:50 AM
Every specialty track in CAP should have its own function badge like the Air Force has for AFSC's.  It would make so much more sense than the current pocket badges.

:clap:
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

THRAWN

I wear the boots that Colonel Knowles is wearing. The photo shows exactly why it is that I loathe them. If they get wet just a bit, or dirty, they look like junk. Stick with the black. They'd be distinctive enough and the maintenance isn't obnoxious.

As for the insignia, stick with the current wings and badges. I do agree that the "big three" should have matching insignia, similar to what CP and AE have now. Never understood why ES had that little "red badge of courage"...As for the other specialty insignia, get them embroidered and put them on. They'll look like the USAF med series...

Keep the uniform simple. Name, branch, specialty insignia, period.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

LTC Don

That other than black boots is even being considered is enough to call the NUC's credibility into question.  No matter the phase out date, black boots can last literally for decades for adults, no more than we wear them. There is absolutely no need or requirement to consider anything different given the cost for decent boots (easily $75-200). And I say this as someone who no longer bothers with the vagaries of the mi-spec uniforms, but readily wears the corporate style uniforms (although I still maintain some BDU sets for the rare occasion I get the twitch to go camo).

That said, I like the ABU look in general.  Coupled with that is the fact that our area surplus stores are stocking less and less of the woodland bdus (our closest surplus store doesn't bother trying to stock it at all anymore) so our folks are having to buy more and more new stuff.  If we are truly TotalForce, CAP should be the primary recipient of any surplus stocks of either woodland and/or ABU and should be coordinated through CAP-USAF.  Nothing should be going through to Federal Surplus/DRMO until CAP has a chance to screen it.  We've lost tons (literally) of Woodland over the years that should have come to CAP first before going out to Fed Surplus or to the States.

I went to State auction one time (years ago) that had at least two semi trailer loads of Woodland BDUs.  They went for pennies on the dollar and I asked the winning bidder what was going to happen to the lot (hoping he was an area surplus dealer).  He said, "Oh, that rag, it's all going to be shipped overseas."  That was at the time the Bosnia/Herzogovina conflict was happening so I can only wonder where all that great looking Woodland ended up.......  >:(
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

THRAWN

Quote from: LTC Don on December 16, 2015, 02:30:52 PM
That other than black boots is even being considered is enough to call the NUC's credibility into question.  No matter the phase out date, black boots can last literally for decades for adults, no more than we wear them. There is absolutely no need or requirement to consider anything different given the cost for decent boots (easily $75-200). And I say this as someone who no longer bothers with the vagaries of the mi-spec uniforms, but readily wears the corporate style uniforms (although I still maintain some BDU sets for the rare occasion I get the twitch to go camo).

That said, I like the ABU look in general.  Coupled with that is the fact that our area surplus stores are stocking less and less of the woodland bdus (our closest surplus store doesn't bother trying to stock it at all anymore) so our folks are having to buy more and more new stuff.  If we are truly TotalForce, CAP should be the primary recipient of any surplus stocks of either woodland and/or ABU and should be coordinated through CAP-USAF.  Nothing should be going through to Federal Surplus/DRMO until CAP has a chance to screen it.  We've lost tons (literally) of Woodland over the years that should have come to CAP first before going out to Fed Surplus or to the States.

I went to State auction one time (years ago) that had at least two semi trailer loads of Woodland BDUs.  They went for pennies on the dollar and I asked the winning bidder what was going to happen to the lot (hoping he was an area surplus dealer).  He said, "Oh, that rag, it's all going to be shipped overseas."  That was at the time the Bosnia/Herzogovina conflict was happening so I can only wonder where all that great looking Woodland ended up.......  >:(

Concur on the boots. I had a pair of black Rothcos that I wore just about daily of about 15 years. On the other hand, the boots that I wear with the ACU have been replaced twice in 3 years of infrequent wear.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

lordmonar

I wear my ABU boot at work.....and have for the last 9 years....still holding up great.

So YMMV.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

tribalelder

All new regs on hold pending the new codification scheme.

ABU's may be phased out for active duty for whatever the then-new all-service camouflage uniform is going to be. WE NEED NOT FRET ABOUT abu's yet.

BUT if we NEED to wear-test, wouldn't we get a more valid wear-test by sending 12 cadets to NBB, NESA, Hawk Mountain or PJOC  for 2 weeks.

WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

Luis R. Ramos

For those of you previous service that are saying that "Other than black boots did not last long therefore we should use black..." I have a question:

Back there, you used those boots every single day or almost. In a rough environment.

Do you think the service you gonna get in CAP in the future will be comparable to the service ya did when in the military?

I thought so.

I like the black boots better. But stating "We should use black boots because non-black boots do not last" probably does not/will not apply to CAP since we probably will not do as much as you did back then. It may be possible... the non-black boots may last enough in our service...

But if we have a vote on this, I go with the black boots...
Squadron Safety Officer

Holding Pattern

Black boots are easier to keep "uniform," brown boots tend to become "shades of brown" over time.