Main Menu

ABU Wear Test

Started by winterg, December 11, 2015, 05:44:27 PM

MAJORZ04

If CAP changes to ABU...I suggest:
....... Keep the same blue name and CAP tags we have now
....... Keep the same Blue rank patches we have now
....... Keep the same blue wings/badges we have now
....... Allow option of wearing sqrdn hats or ABU (ABU hats with the same blue rank we have now)
....... Black Boots
....... Allow Wing Patch only... no other patches/tabs etc... Keeps all uniforms as simple as possible.
So the only real change is the ABU pants and shirt itself.  This will keep costs  down... as most members will already have
the Blue/White patches to transfer to ABU's.  We still keep CAP and USAF different.. (but close)  Vanguard already has stock
on blue/white insignia.
CAP does not need another uniform monster to contend with now !!

Toad1168

Quote from: MAJORZ04 on December 14, 2015, 04:55:57 PM
....... Allow option of wearing sqrdn hats or ABU (ABU hats with the same blue rank we have now)
....... Black Boots
....... Allow Wing Patch only... no other patches/tabs etc... Keeps all uniforms as simple as possible.
So the only real change is the ABU pants and shirt itself.  This will keep costs  down... as most members will already have
the Blue/White patches to transfer to ABU's.  We still keep CAP and USAF different.. (but close)  Vanguard already has stock
on blue/white insignia.

I realize the cost of new patches, however the navy blue would look better IMHO.
Toad

TheSkyHornet

....... Black Boots
on blue/white insignia.

I'd prefer ABU rough-out combat boots.

winterg

The idea to keep black boots to reduce financial burden on members seems like fairly sound thinking.  Which is why we will probably go with a boot hand made by Tibetan monks at $800 a pair if we switch. 

kirbahashi

And this is why the massive regulation re-write is going to go smoothly!!!

It was a test "limited in scope".  I would say extreme emphasis on limited...  I am sure the Chairman of the National Uniform Committee regrets not seeking CAPTalk approval prior to doing this.  He will chalk it up to "rookie mistake". 

Input will be solicited from the masses prior to it being ignored.  Nothing to see here, move along
There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk.

Garibaldi

Quote from: kirbahashi on December 14, 2015, 07:42:53 PM

It was a test "limited in scope".  I would say extreme emphasis on limited...  I am sure the Chairman of the National Uniform Committee regrets not seeking CAPTalk approval prior to doing this.  He will chalk it up to "rookie mistake". 

Input will be solicited from the masses prior to it being ignored.  Nothing to see here, move along

Knowing my Wing CC (the NUC Chair) as I do, CAPTalk has about as much influence on his decisions as a cup of soup.

Limited in scope, yes. Very much so.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

THRAWN

Quote from: Toad1168 on December 14, 2015, 05:11:54 PM
....... Black Boots
on blue/white insignia.

I realize the cost of new patches, however the navy blue would look better IMHO.

Looks are all well and good, but the aqua, for all of its faults, keeps us tied to our parent service. It's a legacy color and already exists. Keep the boots and t-shirts black, keep the insignia aqua, just change the uni if need be...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

kirbahashi

Quote from: Garibaldi on December 14, 2015, 07:47:11 PM
Knowing my Wing CC (the NUC Chair) as I do, CAPTalk has about as much influence on his decisions as a cup of soup.

Mmmm.... soup!  I love it!   ;D
There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk.

Luis R. Ramos

Re: ABU Wear Test

From Major:

....... Keep the same blue name and CAP tags we have now  :clap:
....... Keep the same Blue rank patches we have now  :clap:
....... Keep the same blue wings/badges we have now  :clap:
....... Allow option of wearing sqrdn hats or ABU (ABU hats with the same blue rank we have now)  :clap:
....... Black Boots  :clap:
....... Allow Wing Patch only...  :clap: no other patches/tabs etc... Keeps all uniforms as simple as possible.  >:(

I say last one is in direct contradiction of number 3. Why have the Flyer's Club keep their bling and punish Ground Teams by removing theirs? If Ground Teams lose their bling, take the Aeronautical bling away as well! It does not make any sense.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

LSThiker

Luis, he is talking about NCSA patches and the like. He already mentioned above about keeping pilot wings and other badges.

Luis R. Ramos

>:D

If ya dont think ALL pilots, observers, and scanners want to be regarded as a Flyers Club, I will change my statement.

.......... no other patches/tabs etc...

Major, these two contradict each other. What makes the Aeronautical Badges so special to make those specialties above the Ground Team badges and others?

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

winterg

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 14, 2015, 10:58:23 PM
If ya dont think ALL pilots, observers, and scanners want to be regarded as a Flyers Club, I will change my statement.
.......... no other patches/tabs etc...
Major, these two contradict each other. What makes the Aeronautical Badges so special to make those specialties above the Ground Team badges and others?
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Luis,  You're still misreading his post.  He is saying that we SHOULD keep the all the badges, aeronautical and ground.  Just o away with all the other patches besides Wing.

My opinion, we finally have a chance to retire the ultramarine tapes.  I hope we take it.  It's been a good run, but it isn't 1965 anymore.

FW

Quote from: Garibaldi on December 14, 2015, 07:47:11 PM
Quote from: kirbahashi on December 14, 2015, 07:42:53 PM

Limited in scope, yes. Very much so.

Interesting... I think it was a slight bit more than a year ago, the CAP/CC made a very clear statement that the ABU would, in no way, be an addition to the CAP uniform firmament.  Oh, how the CT comments sting... >:D

MSG Mac

Different CAP Commander. Initial issue to all USAF members and agencies is complete freeing up the supply of surplus to need ABU's.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SARDOC

1- " That is not an Authorized Civil Air Patrol uniform"
2- "Sure it is"
1- "Then why isn't in the regulations?"
2- "uh...It's a wear test"
1- "There wasn't any published information on this."
2- "uh...It's very limited in scope"
1- "Is this some kind of secret?"
2- "you already know too much."

-End Scene-

Holding Pattern

I think that removing patches from the uniform is a bad idea. Volunteers are "paid" for lack of a better term with those cloth patches. It isn't much, but it is something that they earn and can wear with pride. Add to this that there are many members who can't/won't wear the AF uniform for various reasons and you have denied them yet another opportunity to show the time and effort they have put into CAP (and anyone who thinks that doesn't matter or that CAP is better without people who care about such things, well, you'll discover that people burn out faster when times get tough AND they have nothing to show for it vs when times get tough and they still have something to wear that symbolizes the work they did.)

And if you have cadets that can't afford patches, buy them patches. If your squadron is full of people that can't afford patches and your squadron funds are so low you can't buy the patches for the people that go through the work to get certified in varying specialties, then beg for money from your local patriotic organization for the money for the patches.

SarDragon

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 14, 2015, 10:46:41 PM
Re: ABU Wear Test

From Major:

....... Keep the same blue name and CAP tags we have now  :clap:
....... Keep the same Blue rank patches we have now  :clap:
....... Keep the same blue wings/badges we have now  :clap:
....... Allow option of wearing sqrdn hats or ABU (ABU hats with the same blue rank we have now)  :clap:
....... Black Boots  :clap:
....... Allow Wing Patch only...  :clap: no other patches/tabs etc... Keeps all uniforms as simple as possible.  >:(

I say last one is in direct contradiction of number 3. Why have the Flyer's Club keep their bling and punish Ground Teams by removing theirs? If Ground Teams lose their bling, take the Aeronautical bling away as well! It does not make any sense.

Wings and badges are different from patches and tabs. There's no mention of removing GT stuff.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: SARDOC on December 15, 2015, 03:04:32 AM
1- " That is not an Authorized Civil Air Patrol uniform"
2- "Sure it is"
1- "Then why isn't in the regulations?"
2- "uh...It's a wear test"
1- "There wasn't any published information on this."
2- "uh...It's very limited in scope"
1- "Is this some kind of secret?"
2- "you already know too much."

-End Scene-

Guy I knew was issued the "aviator BDUs" before they were a thing (DA "wear test"). He was, I think, an E-6 at the time.

He's standing in the line at the PX and this Colonel behind him starts going off on him about how "all you [expletive deleted] aviators and your [expletive deleted] uniform modifications and crap"

My friend paid for his stuff, walked toward the door and then waited for the colonel to approach him, pulled the wear test memo out of his pocket...

the colonel apologized.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on December 15, 2015, 03:24:41 AM
I think that removing patches from the uniform is a bad idea. Volunteers are "paid" for lack of a better term with those cloth patches. It isn't much, but it is something that they earn and can wear with pride. Add to this that there are many members who can't/won't wear the AF uniform for various reasons and you have denied them yet another opportunity to show the time and effort they have put into CAP (and anyone who thinks that doesn't matter or that CAP is better without people who care about such things, well, you'll discover that people burn out faster when times get tough AND they have nothing to show for it vs when times get tough and they still have something to wear that symbolizes the work they did.)

And if you have cadets that can't afford patches, buy them patches. If your squadron is full of people that can't afford patches and your squadron funds are so low you can't buy the patches for the people that go through the work to get certified in varying specialties, then beg for money from your local patriotic organization for the money for the patches.

Because it's a uniform not a NASCAR driver's fire suit.