Main Menu

ABU Wear Test

Started by winterg, December 11, 2015, 05:44:27 PM

thebeggerpie

Man, I just don't want shell out cash for more uniform items again! Looks neat, looks cool, hope they keep the wing patches(I love my wing patch), but the cost that it might have on me scares me.

Garibaldi

I don't understand what the huge deal is with boots. I prefer mine used for some reason, as I have shelled out many dollars for new in the past, and the used hold up just great. I can pick up a pair of desert boots, Bellevilles, at a local surplus shop for about $30 or so. They have a footlocker full. Used black boots in serviceable condition can run about the same, maybe up to $50 depending on brand. Sage...not so much. I was able to obtain a brand new pair a while back on uspatriottactical.com for $49.99 on sale, Magnums, which were pretty nice. I've not seen any lately for that cheap.

ABUs are coming into the market as people ETS and sell or donate them to Goodwill. I occasionally find ACUs at Goodwill, as well as parts to the new ADU, but rarely any hats.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Capt Thompson

Quote from: thebeggerpie on December 13, 2015, 04:38:22 AM
Man, I just don't want shell out cash for more uniform items again! Looks neat, looks cool, hope they keep the wing patches(I love my wing patch), but the cost that it might have on me scares me.

Like any uniform change, if this does go through, they will have a lengthy phase in date. You'll have a few years to pick up what you need, they aren't going to change to a new uniform and make you switch in a month.

I've often wondered why they don't drop camo all together and go with the corporate blue bdu's. Everyone would look uniform, and we have no need to be covert when we're in the field searching for a downed plane or missing person. It would end all uniform discussions regarding fatigue uniforms, no need to worry about what Ma Blue is currently wearing if we have a standard uniform that's all our own.

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

winterg

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on December 13, 2015, 02:33:30 PM
I've often wondered why they don't drop camo all together and go with the corporate blue bdu's. Everyone would look uniform, and we have no need to be covert when we're in the field searching for a downed plane or missing person. It would end all uniform discussions regarding fatigue uniforms, no need to worry about what Ma Blue is currently wearing if we have a standard uniform that's all our own.

This argument has been discussed, debated, argued many times over several years here and on other forums.  "Why not just swith to BBDUs and be done.  And while we have no need to be covert, the strongest argument, I believe, to wear the same field uniform as the USAF is simply because we are a part of the USAF family.  Also, ES is only 1 of our 3 missions, and in many areas is not even present in any great capacity with CP and AE being the predominant activities.  A standard uniform "all our own" would be great if we were a stand alone organization with no ties to a larger family with a long history of uniform traditions that we are inextricably intertwined with.  Any uniform decisions have to take that into consideration.

And there is no decision that could ever be made that would end uniform discussions.  I am pretty sure that if aliens showed up tomorrow on planet Earth that there would be a thread created within 12 hours to discuss what  they are wearing and how it would be cool if we did that.  :D

Capt Thompson

So if Aliens came to earth, do you think they would prefer ABU's, or the BBDU's? Just kidding.
Capt Matt Thompson

winterg

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on December 13, 2015, 03:05:36 PM
So if Aliens came to earth, do you think they would prefer ABU's, or the BBDU's? Just kidding.

Hopefully a nice onesie in a formfitting stretchy material!

Luis R. Ramos

Switch to BBDUs?   Bwahahaha, Bwa  bwa bwa!

CAP MEMBERS are NOT SMURFS!

>:D

Just kidding!

See how "switching to BBDUs" will easily create arguments against them?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Capt Thompson

Quote from: winterg on December 13, 2015, 03:22:40 PM
Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on December 13, 2015, 03:05:36 PM

Hopefully a nice onesie in a formfitting stretchy material!

So a stretchy flight suit
Capt Matt Thompson

winterg

arajca

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 13, 2015, 03:40:39 PM

Just kidding!

BBDUs are NOT Smurf suits. Those were discontinued several years ago.

PHall

Just kidding!

I know I'm not a smurf, you sir on the otherhand..... >:D

Luis R. Ramos

I know the BBDUs are not jumpsuits.

Still they are blue. The smurfsuits were a lighter blue shade. Still people will make the connection... With a darker, burnt Smurf. But why am I posting this? I really don't care one way or another. I started this reply as a joke!

I prefer the BDU but if it is decided to replace the BDU with the BBDU I will wear so...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SarDragon

Quote from: arajca on December 13, 2015, 05:07:10 PMBBDUs are NOT Smurf suits. Those were discontinued several many years ago.

FTFY!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

THRAWN

The question that I have always had is: why not BBDUs? They're distinctive, not cammies and would be something that the organization could make its "very own". I know one of the objections is price...however, get a bunch of people, order them together, and get bulk discounts. At this point, people are shelling out beaucoup bucks for BDUs anyway...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Just kidding!

Smurfs, with the exception of Papa, wore white clothing. CAP members, with the exception of me, are not Chiss...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

winterg

Quote from: THRAWN on December 14, 2015, 02:55:23 PM

Just kidding!

Smurfs, with the exception of Papa, wore white clothing. CAP members, with the exception of me, are not Chiss...
Exactly. Look how many members would be on board if we called them Thrawn suits!

Garibaldi

Quote from: winterg on December 14, 2015, 02:57:01 PM

Just kidding!

Exactly. Look how many members would be on board if we called them Thrawn suits!

Thrawn wore white. His skin was blue.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

winterg

Yes. But we called the old jumpsuits smurf suits and they wore white as well.

THRAWN

Quote from: winterg on December 14, 2015, 02:57:01 PM

Just kidding!

Count me in. And you just picked my COSPLAY kit for the movies on Thursday...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

winterg

I'll be at a private showing for 501st members only and we will all be in our pajamas. Seriously! Lol