Main Menu

CAP Radio

Started by Theodore, April 11, 2016, 09:00:15 PM

Theodore

I am looking for a radio that I can use for C.A.P. I do not have any money to spend, so I would like to find something free, although that might be impossible.

Toth

I have been on the same quest you are on for a while now, alas, it seems the best bet for a personal radio is a squadron issued EF Johnson. I personally have an issue with the fact there are no affordable personal radios available for CAP use, but until national decides to do something about it it seems the rest of us are up the creek without a paddle.
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

NIN

Quote from: Toth on April 11, 2016, 09:16:46 PM
I have been on the same quest you are on for a while now, alas, it seems the best bet for a personal radio is a squadron issued EF Johnson. I personally have an issue with the fact there are no affordable personal radios available for CAP use, but until national decides to do something about it it seems the rest of us are up the creek without a paddle.

Might I ask what exactly this "something" is that "national decides to do"?

Make radios free?

Its not like there is a wizened old man sitting locked in a room at national surrounded by radio gear gleefully tapping at his keyboard going "Ah ha! I've got it!  I'll make the requirements to own a radio so unaffordable only a large 3rd world country can foot the bill! Brilliant!"

The requirements for for the use of compliant equipment is not something CAP itself decided on. 

The cost for compliant equipment, likewise, is not something that CAP has much control over.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: NIN on April 11, 2016, 09:30:27 PM

Its not like there is a wizened old man sitting locked in a room at national surrounded by radio gear gleefully tapping at his keyboard going "Ah ha! I've got it!  I'll make the requirements to own a radio so unaffordable only a large 3rd world country can foot the bill! Brilliant!"

There... there isn't?

:'(

Theodore

Isnt it up to the wing to decide on radios for Comms.?

Eclipse

Quote from: Theodore on April 12, 2016, 01:51:22 AM

No.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: NIN on April 11, 2016, 09:30:27 PM

Hey! I'm not a wizened old man!

NIN

Quote from: arajca on April 12, 2016, 04:56:16 AM
Hey! I'm not a wizened old man!

"If the boot .. fits!"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Brad

Quote from: Theodore on April 12, 2016, 01:51:22 AM

As previously mentioned, no. The radios that CAP uses are determined by their compliance with a particular standard set by the National Telecommunications & Information Administration, or NTIA for short. They are the "other side" of the communications coin as opposed to the FCC, and deal with federal government communications standards.

CAP Communications itself is governed by CAPR 100-1 and CAPR 100-3, it simply falls on the Wing DC to see that the regulations are adhered to in the accomplishment of the communications program in CAP in its support of the 3 CAP missions. Both regulations recently underwent major updates so I would highly recommend reading them both if you are potentially interested in CAP Communications. It is an exciting and rewarding field in CAP, but you have to remember to slow down and play by the rules.

In short: If you have a need for a radio, you'll likely be given one, either for use on a mission, or if a more long-term need can be demonstrated you may be issued one that CAP owns. (Yes there are procedures for Cadets to be issued radios too, read CAPR 174-1) Or you could feasibly buy your own compliant radio and use it for CAP purposes, but that requires coordination with your Squadron Communications Officer to get it programmed correctly, in addition to the more practical effort of explaining why you want to use it.

Save your money, there will come a time where you'll be surrounded by radios....like I am right now. Got 2 5300s to send off to NTC for repair, an ALE with its station components that needs to be reassigned, and a box full of LPers to send off to LTronics. HELP!  :P
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN