ABU Supply Drying Up

Started by majdomke, July 11, 2019, 11:05:37 PM

JayT

Quote from: etodd on July 14, 2019, 03:54:41 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 14, 2019, 03:50:58 AM
No they haven't. Why would they?

Well for one .... so we wouldn't continually have these shortage issues every time the AF decides to change "theirs".  And could eliminate hundreds of threads about the problems of finding uniforms. LOL

BDU's lasted from the late 80s to very recently, Air Force wise. ABU's were kind of an aberrant thing. I imagine that the USAF will be sticking with OCP's for a good while now.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

MSG Mac

Quote from: etodd on July 14, 2019, 02:39:42 AM
OK. I'm the guy who doesn't know jack about uniforms, so I'll ask the question that pops into mind. Has the AF at any time pondered the idea of just coming up with specific CAP outdoor uniform, so that we would not have to chase what they wear and have these issues? And maybe while they are at it, make it reflective orange, instead of the non-sensible camo?  Design it to be the uniform for the next 50 years, no matter what the enlisted AF members wear?

There is an alternative "Blue" BDU uniform available.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: etodd on July 13, 2019, 06:42:40 PM

Hopefully the polo will not change anytime soon. Relatively cheap even with my name and Senior MP wings on them. 

A pet peeve, if I may:

I don't know why people keep calling wings by names that don't fit their actual description. There are no "Senior MP" wings, for example. They are "Senior Pilot" wings. One does not need to be a MP in order to be a Senior Pilot. Anyway, thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on July 14, 2019, 04:19:32 AM
Quote from: etodd on July 14, 2019, 02:39:42 AM
OK. I'm the guy who doesn't know jack about uniforms, so I'll ask the question that pops into mind. Has the AF at any time pondered the idea of just coming up with specific CAP outdoor uniform, so that we would not have to chase what they wear and have these issues? And maybe while they are at it, make it reflective orange, instead of the non-sensible camo?  Design it to be the uniform for the next 50 years, no matter what the enlisted AF members wear?

There is an alternative "Blue" BDU uniform available.

Not for cadets. The only time cadets can wear "corporate" uniforms is if they don't meet the height-weight standards and they are 18 or older.

Eclipse

Which could be simply and easily changed with another improperly published memo.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on July 14, 2019, 05:20:20 PM
Which could be simply and easily changed with another improperly published memo.

.... in a Dropbox.  ;)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Shuman 14

Quote from: MSG Mac on July 13, 2019, 07:23:32 PM
Problem is that the AF won't allow CAP to have OCPs until they have outfitted every AF member first.

Which, by my observation, should be about the end of this year.

Seriously, if you go to any Army Exchange you will not find any ACU or ABU pattern... anything... left on the shelves. It's OCP only now. Been to Knox, Hood, Drum and Camp Atterbury in the last six months and it's all the same... OCP only with ones-twoies left in ABU or ACU.

So if you can access an Army Base, same issue CAP has getting on Air Bases applies, the Army Clothing and Sales will happily sell you OCPs.

Now, someone needs to authorize CAP to wear OCPs... but I digress.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Eclipse

Since MCSS and AAFES are non-factors for the majority of CAP members, whether or
not you can get ABUs at those locations, vs. CAP's official supplier, should be irrelevant to
any decisions about changing the uniforms.

Considering you can buy them on Amazon, and have them delivered next day, it's not
exactly a crisis.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: shuman14 on July 15, 2019, 06:26:14 PM
Problem is that the AF won't allow CAP to have OCPs until they have outfitted every AF member first.

Seriously, if you go to any Army Exchange you will not find any ACU or ABU pattern... anything... left on the shelves. It's OCP only now. Been to Knox, Hood, Drum and Camp Atterbury in the last six months and it's all the same... OCP only with ones-twoies left in ABU or ACU.

So if you can access an Army Base, same issue CAP has getting on Air Bases applies, the Army Clothing and Sales will happily sell you OCPs.

Actually, no they won't. AAFES can not sell OCP's to Air Force personnel, and I have lumped CAP into the Air Force personnel category for the sake of argument, until a date to be determined.

arajca

Actually, AAFES can sell OCPs to AF personnel. It just depends which base you're at.

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on July 15, 2019, 06:50:00 PM

Actually, no they won't. AAFES can not sell OCP's to Air Force personnel, and I have lumped CAP into the Air Force personnel category for the sake of argument, until a date to be determined.

Actually they will and have been for some time now.

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 15, 2019, 08:02:14 PM

Depending on the base you're at. Currently AF personnel can not buy them at March ARB, Los Angeles AFB and Edwards AFB.
Subject to change if AAFES and DLATS ever get their acts together.

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on July 15, 2019, 09:54:57 PM

Depending on the base you're at. Currently AF personnel can not buy them at March ARB, Los Angeles AFB and Edwards AFB.

They can at Travis and here at Tinker. 

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 15, 2019, 10:29:13 PM
Quote from: PHall on July 15, 2019, 09:54:57 PM

They can at Travis and here at Tinker.

Which is why the OP in the first post said he couldn't find ABU's at Travis.

Shuman 14

Quote from: arajca on July 15, 2019, 07:16:09 PM
Actually, AAFES can sell OCPs to AF personnel. It just depends which base you're at.

Exactly.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

CAPed Crusader

Wait a minute.... does this mean CAP could get OCPs when the AF is done with the full transition to OCPs? We just got the ABUs, however, I like the OCPs better.....

Stonewall

Wright-Patterson AFB started selling OCPs a few months ago. I stopped by today and the only ABU items they had were a few (like six sets) of maternity ABUs. They don't even restrict who can buy them now; ANG, Reserves, and you aren't limited to only two sets.
Serving since 1987.

Spam

Stonewall, thanks bro.
I was wondering where I could score some maternity ABUs.
I pretty much meet weight only for those, these days!

Cheers
Spam

N6RVT

Quote from: Spam on July 19, 2019, 03:49:41 AM

Stonewall, thanks bro.

Ever visit California?  We have a semi trailer full of those, along with matching sets of ABU in sizes CAP cannot wear.  Want a nice matching set of size 52?

THRAWN

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on July 19, 2019, 12:38:30 PM
Quote from: Spam on July 19, 2019, 03:49:41 AM

Stonewall, thanks bro.

Ever visit California?  We have a semi trailer full of those, along with matching sets of ABU in sizes CAP cannot wear.  Want a nice matching set of size 52?

They make great yardwork clothes. When I retired, that's what all of my ACUs ended up being used for....they also make great light jackets to toss in the trunk....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023