Main Menu

SIRS?

Started by mikeylikey, April 24, 2006, 08:57:02 PM

mikeylikey

I hear and see a lot of something I am not so sure of.  If addressing 2 or more male Officers, would you say Sirs, or would you say Gentleman?  Same for, female officers, would you say ma'ams, or would you say Ladies?  I was always taught to say Gentleman and Ladies.  My question would be, is both acceptable, or would Gentleman and Ladies be the correct way to say it?
What's up monkeys?

smj58501

I have 14 years commissioned service in the Army, and I was always taught the "proper" thing to say was gentlemen or ladies (if you had a group of the same gender). If you have a mixed gender group, you should say "ladies, gentlemen"; "gentlemen, ma'am"; "ladies, sir", etc depending on the number of each gender in the group.

Not sure what the exact Air Force rule is on this issue.

Sirs is an informal, sometimes tongue in cheek expression. Most the time you can get away with it without anyone being offended, so long as it is done in the right environment.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

lordmonar

Air Force rules are the same.  You say Gentlemen/Ladies for more than one officer of the same rank.  Ladies and Gentlemen for mixed groups.

If there are officers of different rank in a group, it gets really easy.  You only have to salute the senior member present.  Good Morning Colonel and just ignore all the majors (male and female) kissing his fourth point of contact.
;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Pace

Quote from: lordmonar on April 25, 2006, 03:09:32 PMfourth point of contact

Whoa...

I get on these forums way too much.  As soon as I saw FPOC, my brain instantly inserted the three letter synonym, and I saw it there for a second.

That's just great, CS and CAPTalk made me delusional...
Lt Col, CAP

lordmonar

I just typed it in there not thinking that they may not have the same filter here.

I even use FPOC in my daily conversation, it leaves my troops confused sometimes, but they are used to that. ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Becks

??? confused  ???  FPOC? I know one definition of this, curious if we're speaking about the same insult.

BBATW

MIKE

Quote from: Becks on April 29, 2006, 06:22:23 PM
??? confused  ???  FPOC? I know one definition of this, curious if we're speaking about the same insult.

Fourth Point Of Contact.  The fourth point of contact in a proper Parachute Landing Fall is your butt.  It is being used to replace a three letter word for same.
Mike Johnston