Main Menu

ABUs

Started by MadGrak, September 15, 2011, 05:14:12 AM

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: lordmonar on October 03, 2011, 01:00:16 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 03, 2011, 12:37:39 AM
Because some of us think we should look like the branch that supports us.
It's that whole auxillary thing.  :)
Gee isn't the Military Auxiliary Radio Service, also been designated by DOD as a civilian Auxiliary, and they aren't running around looking like they are about to invade community X.

I'd like to think it the substance of what we accomplish to support the Air Force & others with our emergency services rather than the uniform we wear is much more important.   I hate to think that that other somewhat anti CAP website, stating "....A military society of lets play dress up; ......", is incorrect :-\ :angel:
RM

Spaceman3750

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on October 03, 2011, 02:21:15 AM
Gee isn't the Military Auxiliary Radio Service, also been designated by DOD as a civilian Auxiliary, and they aren't running around looking like they are about to invade community X.

lordmonar

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on October 03, 2011, 02:21:15 AM

I'd like to think it the substance of what we accomplish to support the Air Force & others with our emergency services rather than the uniform we wear is much more important.   I hate to think that that other somewhat anti CAP website, stating "....A military society of lets play dress up; ......", is incorrect :-\ :angel:
RM
We are not MARS.  If they want uniforms......I am sure they are free to ask the USAF and maybe even get them.
On aspect of CAP is just that.....we are a military society that likes dress for the role....do we "have" to?  Of course not....if the USAF pulled their uniforms and we all went to polos and grays then we would still continue to provide good ES support and we can still do the cadet program.

But we will be a different organisation.  Our potential cadets would just join the Boy Scouts if we pulled the the USAF uniforms.  There would be a small percentage of the senior members would quit.

But we would contiue....we would just be different.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Eclipse on October 02, 2011, 10:39:42 PM
Quote from: Tim Medeiros on October 02, 2011, 04:28:55 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 01, 2011, 08:25:18 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on October 01, 2011, 08:15:10 PM
Both are in phase out.

Heh - so are ABUs.
Having checked AF Portal, the AF Uniform page and talked with my supervisors, I have found nothing to corroborate this from a reliable source.

The first die was cast when the 2010 DAB included language directing the SecDef to consolidate ground combat uniforms, the second round
was last Aug when the USAF started putting some of their people into Multi-cams. 

As money gets tighter and tighter, and we continue to consolidate the military and perform an ever increasing number of joint operations, the writing is
already on the wall for ABUs.  They'll be gone before CAP is ever considered.
I'm still failing to see the news that ABUs are in phase out.......  Unless you have had a conversation with General Schwartz and/or Secretary Donley, what you mentioned above is grasping at straws to fit what appears to be a predetermined conclusion.

If the ABUs are indeed in a period of phase out, I suspect that there is a MAJOR breakdown of communication, especially key information such as phase out date, uniform we're phasing in to and where to procure said uniform.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Eclipse

Tim, they aren't actually in "phase out", they are just "done", all that is left is the final action...

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: ol'fido on October 02, 2011, 07:55:19 PM
I say that instead of CAP adopting a uniform that is distinctive in "low light" conditions, it would be much cheaper for the AF to buy a flashlight. ::)

:clap: :) :clap: :D :clap: ;D :clap:

Face it, for certain people, we could wear check shirts and old Levi's with a bright red CAP nameplate (erh...better not give RM any more ideas! >:D) and it STILL wouldn't be "distinctive" enough!  Whoever coined the "low-light/at-a-distance" dreck probably had a hand in such other doozies as "jumbo shrimp," "pretty ugly," "level crossing" and "honest politician."

In addition to the flashlight, some literacy lessons would also be needed:

"Now, Airman Basic Snuffy, can you say the letters C-A-P?  Good.  Can you say Civil Air Patrol?  Good.  Can you say 'these are volunteer civilians who are the Auxiliary of the United States Air Force?'  Good.  Can you say 'no, I don't have to salute them, no matter what colour their uniforms are, but they certainly appreciate it if I do so?'  EXCELLENT!  You qualify for E-2 and an optional free membership in CAP!"

My unit has some dual-status CAP/ANG people...I have not heard a word from them about CAP ever getting ABU's, and one of them told me that he doesn't know how long they can keep cascading used BDU's down to CAP, simply because they are running out.

It baffles me why the different services are going to different camouflages anyway.  My ex-brother-in-law was in the Army when the switch to BDU's from greens was made...he said the idea was to find a common battle/fatigue uniform for all the services!

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

DC

Because it is an excuse to promote their differences and spend more money. The exact opposite of what ought to be going on.

AngelWings

I stopped worrying about the uniforms a long time ago. Give me any uniform, and I'll wear it proudly. It serves no purpose to worry about it anymore, unless we want to petition the BDUs and get ABUs ASAP.

Eclipse

Quote from: Littleguy on October 04, 2011, 02:29:36 AM
I stopped worrying about the uniforms a long time ago. Give me any uniform, and I'll wear it proudly. It serves no purpose to worry about it anymore, unless we want to petition the BDUs and get ABUs ASAP.

So we can assume you're not going to hang several hundred dollars on a "no fly hangar" on 1 Jan. 

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on October 04, 2011, 04:59:10 AM
Quote from: Littleguy on October 04, 2011, 02:29:36 AM

So we can assume you're not going to hang several hundred dollars on a "no fly hangar" on 1 Jan.
??
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

^ sorry, should be "hanger" (can't edit).

"That Others May Zoom"

Sgt. Papa

Quote from: SarDragon on September 15, 2011, 05:30:08 AM
Welcome to CT.

This has been discussed on many other threads. Try doing a search on ABU, and looking at what's been said.

you were a Cadet Warrant Officer?

SarDragon

Quote from: ECCS4Life on October 13, 2011, 01:47:15 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on September 15, 2011, 05:30:08 AM
Welcome to CT.

This has been discussed on many other threads. Try doing a search on ABU, and looking at what's been said.

you were a Cadet Warrant Officer?

We're getting off topic here, but yes, I was, from Dec '68 until Apr '69, when I became a senior member.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

usafcap1

our RC and CO says 2014. it will look something like woodland camo in digi-print
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

MajFitzpatrick

I hope all services just switch to the OCP uniform. ABUs are not the greatest. (Been in them for 4 years now, and I am not all to impressed.)
Putting Warheads on foreheads

okeecap

Just a question to the picture of the CAP ABU was that a digital edit or did someone really buy a ABU shirt, it looked pretty good.

abdsp51

Again the ABU is going to be in the AF inventory for awhile.  There has been nothing passed down from AF senior leadership saying anything otherwise.  Unless someone has a memo or letter from SECAF, CSAF or CMSAF then anything is plain and purely hearsay.  And AF Times and Military.com are not valid nor credible sources and neither is your best friends third cousin who sweeps the floors.

C/2d Lt

Correct me if I am wrong however after reading multiple articles, I have heard that the Air Force and the Army were in search of a new uniform due to the fact that they do not match much of anything. With the US Military always looking for new and better, even if we switch to ABU's wouldn't that also be the point at which the  Air Force had there new style uniform. Are we always going to be chasing after what the Air Force is wearing when they consistently change. Isn't this somewhat unrealistic?

In my perspective, especially as a cadet, it is a honor to wear the uniform that I was given and my next goal is to take the next step to there uniform. Instead of chasing after it, make it a goal.

As most know we are often confused with active duty personal in certain settings. If you are the person who only wants the ABU's so you can look like Air Force personnel and pretend to be something that you are not, I do not believe that you should wear the uniform at all. Not only are you disrespecting the uniform and what it stands for but all of those who wear it.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

Private Investigator

Quote from: C/MSgt on November 20, 2012, 12:56:33 AMIf you are the person who only wants the ABU's so you can look like Air Force personnel and pretend to be something that you are not, I do not believe that you should wear the uniform at all. Not only are you disrespecting the uniform and what it stands for but all of those who wear it.

I concur   :clap:

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: C/MSgt on November 20, 2012, 12:56:33 AM
As most know we are often confused with active duty personal in certain settings. If you are the person who only wants the ABU's so you can look like Air Force personnel and pretend to be something that you are not, I do not believe that you should wear the uniform at all. Not only are you disrespecting the uniform and what it stands for but all of those who wear it.

It depends on what your intent is to wear the AF uniform (not just ABU's).

Wearing it correctly, properly badged, it shows what you are: a member of the Air Force's volunteer civilian auxiliary, the Civil Air Patrol.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011