Main Menu

The 'Stache

Started by Walkman, March 02, 2011, 04:10:50 AM

ColonelJack

Quote from: SarDragon on March 08, 2011, 06:42:11 AM
I suppose I ought to let y'all see the entire get-up.

Awesome!  But ... where does the girl go when you take off the cape?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

BradM

Here's a recent pic of me.
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

AC

Here's a recent pic of me, too. Looks like I got a little older! :-[

Terence Maroste      "We're Paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're
Maj, CAP                   supposed to be surrounded."
AEO
SWR-TX-293                  -Captain Richard Winters

AC

About Robin Olds and "Mustache March".
Olds was known for the extravagantly waxed (and decidedly non-regulation) handlebar mustache he sported in Vietnam. It was a common superstition among airmen to grow a "bulletproof mustache",[81][82] but Olds also used his as "a gesture of defiance. The kids on base loved it. Most everybody grew a mustache."[83] Returning home, however, marked the end of this flamboyance. When he reported to his first interview with Air Force Chief of Staff General John P. McConnell, McConnell walked up to him, stuck a finger under his nose and said, "Take it off." Olds replied, "Yes, sir."

For his part, Olds was not upset with the order, recalling:

To tell the truth, I wasn't all that fond of the [darn]ed thing by then, but it had become a symbol for the men of the 8th Wing. I knew McConnell understood. During his visits to Ubon over the past year he had never referred to my breach of military standards, just seemed rather amused at the variety of 'staches sported by many of the troops. (It) was the most direct order I had received in twenty-four years of service.[84]

The incident with the mustache is given credit as the impetus for a new Air Force tradition, "Mustache March", in which aircrew, aircraft maintainers, and other Airmen worldwide show solidarity by a symbolic, albeit good-natured "protest" for one month against Air Force facial hair regulations.[85]

Terence Maroste      "We're Paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're
Maj, CAP                   supposed to be surrounded."
AEO
SWR-TX-293                  -Captain Richard Winters