What exactly is a Blue Utility Uniform

Started by Yochanan, December 28, 2015, 03:47:30 AM

Yochanan

Where do I get one of those? Also, what is a "blue belt w/ subdued tip"?

signing up for wess when I didn't even sign up for CAP on purpose a few months ago

Luis R. Ramos

The Blue Utility Uniform is a blue BDU. Not camo. Available from Vanguard.

The blue belt with subdued tip is the same belt you use for the AF Blues uniform with a black tip and different buckle, also black.

Sometimes depending on where you order from, you will be sold the belt with the black tip and buckle. Other times you will be sent only the black tip apart from the belt. If you receive this tip only, you can pry the silver tip off, or cut it off, place the black tip on the belt and carefully give it one or two whacks with a hammer so the tip closes on the belt. I still prefer to buy one complete...

Will do a search for these items, will add links later to this message.

Added later:

The following link to Vanguard shows the complete belt with subdued tip as the first item on left, top row. Bottom row item on the left is the subdued buckle without the belt. But I do not see the subdued tip...

http://www.vanguardmil.com/collections/civil-air-patrol-belts-and-buckles
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Yochanan on December 28, 2015, 03:47:30 AM
Where do I get one of those? Also, what is a "blue belt w/ subdued tip"?

Are you a senior member or a cadet? If you're a cadet, you cannot wear the Corporate Field Uniform (Blue BDU), unless you're 18 or older and cannot meet the weight standards.

Quote from: Yochanan on December 28, 2015, 03:47:30 AM
signing up for wess when I didn't even sign up for CAP on purpose a few months ago

If you're a cadet, you'll need Achievement 1 and General Emergency Services (GES) before you can attend WESS. If you're a senior member, you'll need Level 1 and GES.

Toth

-
Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 28, 2015, 05:31:01 AM
Are you a senior member or a cadet? If you're a cadet, you cannot wear the Corporate Field Uniform (Blue BDU), unless you're 18 or older and cannot meet the weight standards.

I just checked 39-1 sir and I couldn't find anything about cadets not wearing the CFU. The reason I ask is because I've seen cadets from multiple wings wearing the CFU, if you could provide a regulation reference saying cadets can't wear the CFU I would be grateful.
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

SarDragon

Quote from: Toth on December 28, 2015, 06:58:48 AM
-

I just checked 39-1 sir and I couldn't find anything about cadets not wearing the CFU. The reason I ask is because I've seen cadets from multiple wings wearing the CFU, if you could provide a regulation reference saying cadets can't wear the CFU I would be grateful.

Quote from: CAPM 39-11.2.3.2. Cadets will wear the USAF-style uniforms as outlined in this manual as a key component of their cadet experience. However, cadets over age 18 who are not eligible to wear the USAF-style uniforms due to not meeting weight standards are authorized to wear all Corporate-style uniform combinations, except the Corporate Working Uniform since it does not allow for wear of rank insignia.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 28, 2015, 05:15:54 AM
The Blue Utility Uniform is a blue BDU. Not camo. Available from Vanguard.
Bzzzzt! Wrong answer.
The BBDU is short hand for the Corporate Field Uniform. The Blue Utility Uniform was, in the previous edition of CAPM 39-1, the navy blue flight suit in cotton-poly fabric instead of Nomex. This designation has since been discontinued in the current CAPM 39-1, which lists it as the Corporate Flight Duty Uniform, which can be Nomex or cotton-poly fabric.

CAPdude

Quote from: SarDragon on December 28, 2015, 07:52:14 AM
Quote from: Toth on December 28, 2015, 06:58:48 AM
-

Quote from: CAPM 39-11.2.3.2. Cadets WILL wear the USAF-style uniforms as outlined in this manual as a key component of their cadet experience. However, cadets over age 18 who are not eligible to wear the USAF-style uniforms due to not meeting weight standards are authorized to wear all Corporate-style uniform combinations, except the Corporate Working Uniform since it does not allow for wear of rank insignia.

Quote from: CAPM 39-11.2.3.8.1. "Shall", "will" or "must", when used in this publication indicates a mandatory requirement.
^ This too.
Matt Conroy
C/1st Lt, CAP
Mitchell #63347

Dad2-4

Deleted. Sorry

THRAWN

Quote from: Dad2-4 on December 29, 2015, 04:42:39 PM
The 2005 revision of CAPR 39-1, Chapter 5, clearly states how the Corporate Field Uniform (blue BDU style) will be worn by cadets, giving instructions on officer and enlisted rank insignia placement, etc.
I can't find the reg at the moment, but as far as I understand cadets can now wear the BBDU.

You do realize that regulation has been updated, right?  All you need to do is scroll up and see the conditions that need to be met for cadets to wear the uni.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

arajca

The 2005 revision of CAPR 39-1, Chapter 5, clearly states how the Corporate Field Uniform (blue BDU style) will be worn by cadets, giving instructions on officer and enlisted rank insignia placement, etc.
I can't find the reg at the moment, but as far as I understand cadets can now wear the BBDU.
Requirements:
1. Cadet has to be over age 18.
2. Cadet has to NOT meet height/weight standards for wearing the AF uniforms.
3. Cadet has to maintain grooming standards.

If they are under 18, they cannot wear the field uniform. If they are over 18, but within h/w standards, they cannot wear the field uniform. If they do not meet grooming standards, they need to shave or get a hair cut - cadets must meet grooming standards regardless of what uniform they wear.

Storm Chaser

The 2005 revision of CAPR 39-1...

The current version of CAPM 39-1 is from 26 June 2014, with an ICL of 16 November 2015.

TheSkyHornet

What's this about a subdued tip? I see no such thing authorized.

SarDragon

Para 5.1.1.6 specifies a black tip for the BDUs, and 5.2.1.6 authorizes any dark blue or black leather or web belt. That's more liberal than the olde reg.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: SarDragon on December 29, 2015, 11:47:39 PM
Para 5.1.1.6 specifies a black tip for the BDUs, and 5.2.1.6 authorizes any dark blue or black leather or web belt. That's more liberal than the olde reg.

I was referring to this...

The blue belt with subdued tip is the same belt you use for the AF Blues uniform with a black tip and different buckle, also black.

Sometimes depending on where you order from, you will be sold the belt with the black tip and buckle. Other times you will be sent only the black tip apart from the belt. If you receive this tip only, you can pry the silver tip off, or cut it off, place the black tip on the belt and carefully give it one or two whacks with a hammer so the tip closes on the belt. I still prefer to buy one complete...

Where is there anything that says a subdued-tip blue belt is authorized in CAPM 39-1?

THRAWN

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 30, 2015, 06:49:03 PM

Where is there anything that says a subdued-tip blue belt is authorized in CAPM 39-1?

Dave already answered this. and you quoted the section of the reg where it's found. In the interest of public safety, here is is again:

5.1.1.6. Belt and Buckle. Dark blue or black, woven cotton web, solid or woven elastic belt with black metal tip end and plain (open faced) black buckle.

Uniform bets come in 2 flavors: nonsubdued hardware (silver for those among us with a public school edumakation) or subdued (black, for those same people...). The silver one is worn with the service uniform, because it's shiny. The black one is worn with the utility iniform because a shiny set of hardware on your belt would become impossibly scratched and dented while working in said uniform....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

arajca

Quote from: CAPM 39-15.1.1.6. Belt and Buckle. Dark blue or black, woven cotton web, solid or woven elastic belt with black metal tip end and plain (open faced) black buckle.
Now, does it say "subdued", no. Does it describe what a subdued belt is, yes.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: arajca on December 30, 2015, 06:58:41 PM

Quote from: CAPM 39-15.1.1.6. Belt and Buckle. Dark blue or black, woven cotton web, solid or woven elastic belt with black metal tip end and plain (open faced) black buckle.
Now, does it say "subdued", no. Does it describe what a subdued belt is, yes.

Totally my bad. I was completely missing the point of the post regarding the dark blue belt being the same as the blues belt, and just making them interchangeable by changing the tip.

I stand corrected.  ;D

Carry on.

Luis R. Ramos

Tell me, I was the one posting the description without referring to the regulation that describes it.

What was the problem with rectifying the mention?

The OP asked "what is a subdued." Instead I posted what he should refer instead. And how to get it...

The regulation, as others have posted, does not mention "subdued belt tip," right? So I clarified it. I do not see a need for Sky's message, unless it is directed to the OP...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 31, 2015, 05:17:17 PM
Tell me, I was the one posting the description without referring to the regulation that describes it.

What was the problem with rectifying the mention?

The OP asked "what is a subdued." Instead I posted what he should refer instead. And how to get it...

The regulation, as others have posted, does not mention "subdued belt tip," right? So I clarified it. I do not see a need for Sky's message, unless it is directed to the OP...

Pardon me, good sir. It was openly directed at the conversation. I clarified that I misunderstood the topic and further reviewed the regulation and found the answer with the assistance of yourself and others commenting. It wasn't intended to be hostile, and if you took it that way, my apologies.