Main Menu

Sucessful Open house

Started by NIN, October 17, 2008, 06:47:13 PM

NIN

I had a big long post done up, then my login expired and killed it.. So I'll just attach a photo of my basic flight from last night:

22 new cadets in-processed as a result of our 25 Sept open house.  1 senior and 2 more in the pipeline.

Wooo hooo..

I just added more cadets last night than some squadrons HAVE.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jacklumanog

Wow, outstanding.  A great looking group in formation!  Congratulations.
Ch, Lt Col Jon I. Lumanog, CAP
Special Assistant to the National Chief of Chaplains for Diversity of Ministry

NIN

BTW. for those who don't believe it: pipelining works. 

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on October 17, 2008, 07:07:00 PM

I'd certainly believe it when you're bringing in numbers like those!

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on October 17, 2008, 07:09:01 PM
Quote from: NIN on October 17, 2008, 07:07:00 PM

I'd certainly believe it when you're bringing in numbers like those!

We've been pipelining for YEARS (started in early 2001) and its been 12-15 cadets each time.  This past spring it was only 8 or 9 (I think we changed something in the recruiting formula) and the fall 2001 event netted us over 25. YMMV, of course.  Our retention tends to be higher, too.

22 is a little high.  I would have expected 16.

BTW, 6 are female cadets. That's a much higher percentage than we've seen in the past.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

RiverAux

I'm hoping for similar success with similar events in the future.

Rangercap

Nice. I just went to one school today. They ran annoucements all week, but neglected announce one more time right before the event. I got four solid leads. I was hoping for more, but I still have three schools to hit. 20 is my goal.

I cleaned up a little bit of your slideshow, NIN. Thanks for the link.

Question... are these numbers strictly though an open house? Or do you actually beat feet and hit the schools in person? I have read your post on cadet stuff... I like the plan you have set up.

Brian
PAWG

NIN

First, my concept of recruiting, which I repeat over and over to my cadets, is: "Maximum effective range of recruiting is 1 meter. An arm's length.  Anything beyond that is advertising."

In other words, its talking to people, direct contact, answering questions, etc, that recruits.   Person-to-person contact.

That said, we print 500-700 flyers for each open house (gladly donated thru a little "Xerox equity" where I work), and let the cadets doing the recruiting. Our informal survey of participants in our open house recruiting nights over the years show that the vast majority of people who actually come to the open house do so because of  direct, person-to-person action, not the newspaper, TV or anything else.  Put a flyer in their hands. 

Second, this year two of my high school-aged cadets managed to get a setup in the lunch room of their former middle school.   While the data is not clear on this, my gut says that this accounted for a fair amount of the "increase" in numbers.  Go team!

So my goal is to put recruiting teams into each of the 5-6 middle schools in my area in the 2-3 weeks prior to our next Open House in the spring.  If I can actually get traction in just 3-4, that would be ideal.

Glad the presentation helped.  We've been using that one for years as the lead off to the open house nights.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Rangercap

It still needs an update or two... like AFRCC is at McDill, and no longer at Langley, but does the job, and is very thorough.

Brian
PAWG

BillB

AFRCC is at Tyndall, not MacDill. Same state 300 miles apart
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Rangercap

Thanks for the clarification.

Brian
PAWG

Snake Doctor

NIN,

Please , could I have a look at your presentation please?  I'm going to pitch the virtues of Pipeling to the commanders in my group. 

Thanks.

Paul
Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

NIN

Not to necromance a 6 month old thread....

We held our Spring Open House last night.  It sneaked up on us, so our advertising cycle was shorter than normal.  I anticipated a turn out similar to last Spring's (which netted us 8-9 cadets), and we were fine with that.

The recruiting duo was back at it hitting their old middle school's lunch room with flyers earlier in the week.

We had between 40 & 45 non-CAP folks show up, of which there were between 16 & 20 cadet-aged individuals there.    And we had at least two families contact the commander that they couldn't come to the open house, but could they still join if they're at the meeting next week?

The commander and I agreed that if we get 12, we'll be doing well. I bet we get more.

Remember, the Maximum Effective Range of Recruiting is 1m.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Stonewall

You just motivated me Darin.
Serving since 1987.

Pylon

Quote from: Stonewall on March 13, 2009, 04:04:07 PM
You just motivated me Darin.

His success makes me cry a little inside.  I can never live up.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

I hate one-line posts...now I'm a hypocrite!

In regards to pipelining cadets, I have met more resistence with this one subject than almost anything else in CAP.  I have seen a lot of people get so mad they want to file a complaint about me telling potential new members to "go away".  

I've already felt the reluctance from both my cadets and seniors at my squadron as I take the reigns of DCC (again).  I have real life experience with this and our efforts provided tangible results.

The best example I can give goes back to about 1996 when I tracked the tenure of 10 new cadets that were "pipelined" into CAP through T-Flight.  10 started and 3 years later those same 10 cadets were still in CAP.  It wasn't until they started graduating high school did they leave.
Serving since 1987.

Senior

I know what the pipeline is for Pararescue.  What is the description of"pipelining " in this threads context? 

JayT

Quote from: Senior on March 13, 2009, 08:29:46 PM
I know what the pipeline is for Pararescue.  What is the description of"pipelining " in this threads context? 

The exact same thing, except for CAP. You have cadet enter at a certain time of the year, go through a standarized training regimen, and then join the regular flights.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Gunner C

Quote from: NIN on March 13, 2009, 03:32:29 PM
Not to necromance a 6 month old thread....

We held our Spring Open House last night.  It sneaked up on us, so our advertising cycle was shorter than normal.  I anticipated a turn out similar to last Spring's (which netted us 8-9 cadets), and we were fine with that.

The recruiting duo was back at it hitting their old middle school's lunch room with flyers earlier in the week.

We had between 40 & 45 non-CAP folks show up, of which there were between 16 & 20 cadet-aged individuals there.    And we had at least two families contact the commander that they couldn't come to the open house, but could they still join if they're at the meeting next week?

The commander and I agreed that if we get 12, we'll be doing well. I bet we get more.

Remember, the Maximum Effective Range of Recruiting is 1m.
One of my squadrons (WIWA Group CC) did pretty much the same thing - a new, motivated SM, whose son was a cadet, who had caught the vision of CAP.  They tripled the cadet membership overnight.

As far as pipelining cadets, I can see advantages as well as disadvantages.  WIWAC, we started a "class" every month for Phase 1.  Back in those days the Phase 2 achievements could be taken in any order, so it wasn't the logistical problem that it is today.  We had a huge, successful program.

NIN

UK: dude, its one part NIN's Pipelining and one part UK's t-flight. That's it. 

The recipie for my part is simple. ;)

Its committing to the diet which daunts some folks.

;)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP