Main Menu

New AFI 10-2701

Started by Major_Chuck, August 05, 2005, 02:03:04 AM

Major_Chuck

The AF has totally rewritten AFI 10-2701 dated 29 July 2005.  Lots of information and much longer than the old one (35 pages).  Probably answers a lot of questions that AF personnel had about CAP.

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/pubfiles/af/10/afi10-2701/afi10-2701.pdf

CC
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

CMetzger42

You have some schmutz on the end of your link that's making it come up "404"....

Major_Chuck

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

shorning

Quote from: Major_Chuck on August 05, 2005, 02:03:04 AM
Probably answers a lot of questions that AF personnel had about CAP.

It's great that they've rewritten it.  However, most airmen will never see it.  Most AF-type don't go around reading AFI's unless it has something to do with their job or their looking for some information.  So I don't think it really changes anything.

Major_Chuck

True, 99% of AF Airmen will never read AFI 10-2701 except when they have to or someone has refered them to it.  (Most likely a CAP member or CAP-USAF Liaison Officer/NCO).

If you remember the old version it was thin and vague.  This one I've found is very clear and to the point.  Probably answered a lot of questions that Air Force commanders asked about what they could provide and how far they could go.

-CC
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

BillB

Has anyone noticed a problem that AFI 10-2701 brings up?  CAP members can only purchase at clothing sales when on a CAP activity on base.  Or am I reading this wrong?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

arajca

It's also interesting that most CAP squadrons are commanded by CAP Majors or Lt Col's, and most CAP flights are commadned by CAP Captains. I wonder where that came from. Those grades seem to be the exception rather than the rule from my experience.

Major_Chuck

You're on page 26 if I am correct.  I think it is talking about the broader use of AAFES facilities versus the occassional use of clothing sales.  Good question for the higher ups though.

-CC

Quote from: BillB on August 06, 2005, 09:43:10 PM
Has anyone noticed a problem that AFI 10-2701 brings up?  CAP members can only purchase at clothing sales when on a CAP activity on base.  Or am I reading this wrong?
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

pixelwonk

Quote from: Major_Chuck on August 07, 2005, 03:09:29 AM
You're on page 26 if I am correct. I think it is talking about the broader use of AAFES facilities versus the occassional use of clothing sales. Good question for the higher ups though.

-CC

It is rather ambiguous, however, I agree with Chuck. 
But then again, they could be tightening up things.  :(

I do hope it's only pertaining to general AAFES access on AFAMs.

ncc1912

Quote from: tedda on August 07, 2005, 05:31:27 AM
Quote from: Major_Chuck on August 07, 2005, 03:09:29 AM
You're on page 26 if I am correct. I think it is talking about the broader use of AAFES facilities versus the occassional use of clothing sales. Good question for the higher ups though.

-CC

It is rather ambiguous, however, I agree with Chuck. 
But then again, they could be tightening up things.  :(

I do hope it's only pertaining to general AAFES access on AFAMs.

You are fine with Military Clothing.  The BX/PX, AAFES Gas Stations and Concessionaires are a different story.

Once upon a time, Military Clothing as it is, did not exist.  It was all a part of the Base EXchanges and Post EXchanges.  This posed a problem for many people, not just the CAP.  CAP, ROTC, inactive Guard and Reserve personnel, and a few others did not have authorization to shop at AAFES facilities, but had to be authorized to purchase uniforms and couldn't even get through the front door sometimes.  AAFES was force to rethink their policy and the only way that they could ensure that the right people had access to the uniforms and not the other sometimes tax-exempt merchandise (which was intended as a "benefit" to service members) was to separate the Military Clothing from the BXs and PXs.  Now, if you go to any AF Base you usually find that the Military Clothing store is physically separated from the BX/PX, either by a door or in a separate building.

IAW Army Regulation 60-20 Army and Air Force Exchange Service Operating Policies Para 2-9 Subpara c (4): Civil Air Patrol Cadets and senior members are authorized to purchase articles of uniform, authorized by Civil Air Patrol directives.  When purchasing only such articles, these individuals will be identified by an official Civil Air Patrol membership card.  Additionally, members of the Civil Air Patrol, in a travel status and occupying Government quarters on a military installation, are authorized exchange purchase privileges except for State tax-free items. When making purchases other than items of uniform, they will be identified by means of their current membership card, their travel authorization, and evidence that they are occupying Government quarters on the installation.

Hope this clears things up.
//SIGNED//
JUSTIN B. BAIER, Major, CAP
"Dislocated Member"
Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary
Active-duty USAF
Seoul, Republic of Korea