Main Menu

State Guard...

Started by DarthAggie, November 16, 2011, 08:57:00 PM

DarthAggie

I'm a member of the Texas State Guard (Air Force), with a current rank of A1C (E-3).  And I was curious if having that rank, or additional service will help with my progression in CAP.  In the CAP, I'm still a SM, but should be getting 2LT soon...

SARDOC

Nope, Sorry.  The Only provisions for prior enlisted are that NCO's can become CAP NCO's or E7's and above qualify for advanced promotion.

coudano

Not at your level.

Your advancement in CAP will probably outpace any benefits you can get from completing PME later on the military side.

MSG Mac

Your grade has to be Federally recognized. State Guard grades don't qualify. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

coudano

However, CAP can sometimes help you in the guard...
depending on CAP's reputation with the TXANG.

If you are making /meaningful/ contributions, particularly if they benefit both CAP and the Guard, you can sometimes twist those into EPR bullets.  And possibly even a MOVSA.

SARDOC

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 16, 2011, 09:36:02 PM

That is true.  My Bad I read it thinking he meant Air National Guard.

coudano

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 16, 2011, 09:36:02 PM

meh, i had never considered that.  guard enlisted ranks don't do federal recognition... heh.
seems like some senior enlisted stuff might be fed rec (?)

air guard officers generally speaking /are/ fed rec (though sometimes after the fact)
duno if army guard does it the same way or not

So that just goes to show you,
do a rockin job up to TSgt or so, and then get your butt to AMS and commission :)

What's your AFSC?  Unit?

NCRblues

Quote from: coudano on November 16, 2011, 09:37:00 PM
However, CAP can sometimes help you in the guard...
depending on CAP's reputation with the TXANG.

If you are making /meaningful/ contributions, particularly if they benefit both CAP and the Guard, you can sometimes twist those into EPR bullets.  And possibly even a MOVSA.

Man, WIWAD my EPR bullets were nothing but CAP (well, as many as they would let me put). One time I almost got a 4 (shocking I know) but CAP pushed me back to "firewall 5".
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

lordmonar

I'm not sure.....but I don't think there is a disction on the enlisted side about federal or state status as there is on the officer side.

Having said that....
Quote from: CAPR 35-5The CAP grade granted will be equivalent to the grade held in the active duty military, Reserve, or National Guard.

So if "state guard" means National Guard....then he would be good....once he got to E-5.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Ed Bos

Quote from: DarthAggie on November 16, 2011, 08:57:00 PM
I'm a member of the Texas State Guard (Air Force), with a current rank of A1C (E-3).  And I was curious if having that rank, or additional service will help with my progression in CAP.  In the CAP, I'm still a SM, but should be getting 2LT soon...

DarthAggie, are you referring to the Texas State Guard that "is one of three branches of the Texas Military Forces (TXMF), reporting to The Texas Adjutant General located at Texas Military Forces HQ, Camp Mabry (Austin), Texas," and is not an official reserve force of the United States Armed Services, such as the Texas National Guard and the Texas Air National Guard?

I'm kidding, I know you were specific when you posted, but to help those with weak Google-Fu:  http://www.txsg.state.tx.us/

To answer your question, being a leader and progressing in any field helps you as a CAP Officer, just as being a CAP Officer can help you in many other fields. These are all intrinsic benefits.

Extrinsic benefits for military members are, just as MSG Mac mentioned, specific to the Federal Uniformed Services.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

DarthAggie

Yes, it's "Texas Military"...

449th Support Group.  Fully Volunteer unit.

The only things I've seen in common, that may actually benefit each other, is the FEMA courses taken, for entry into both.

DBlair

Quote from: DarthAggie on November 16, 2011, 11:54:13 PM
Yes, it's "Texas Military"...

449th Support Group.  Fully Volunteer unit.

The only things I've seen in common, that may actually benefit each other, is the FEMA courses taken, for entry into both.

i.e. SDF aka State Guard, but not National Guard/Reserve/Active Duty, and so it will not help you on the CAP side.

That said, I've heard of some SDF ("State Guard") that allow wear of CAP ribbons and badges on the SDF uniform, and some credit you on the SDF side with relevant training you've completed on the CAP side. Also, I've heard that some take CAP grade and experience into consideration and sometimes allow for advanced SDF promotions, etc. I'd say to check with your SDF (State Guard) as the benefits will be on that side, not on the CAP side at all.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander